* A nice feature to suggest
@ 2007-02-10  4:05 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-02-10  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

In org, if a subtree has a ARCHIVE tag, it will stay collapsed in
visibility cycling. I found this functionality useful in two cases:

  - When archive location is in the same file as .org file
  - A tree with REPEATing items.

Thus, I suggest if a heading of a subtree starts with '+', it will
behave similar to a ARCHIVE tag during visibility cycling. For
example, "** +Arhived Tasks...".

Comments?

* Re: A nice feature to suggest
@ 2007-02-11  6:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-11  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Why don't you "misuse" the ARCHIVE tag for this?  You could change the
name of the tag to LOCK or something?  Or maybe we could have a list of
tags that causes this behavior.

Hmmm, I guess you still want these to contribute to sparse trees and
the agenda.... ?

- Carsten

On Feb 10, 2007, at 5:05, Leo wrote:

> Hello Carsten,
>
> In org, if a subtree has a ARCHIVE tag, it will stay collapsed in
> visibility cycling. I found this functionality useful in two cases:
>
>   - When archive location is in the same file as .org file
>   - A tree with REPEATing items.
>
> Thus, I suggest if a heading of a subtree starts with '+', it will
> behave similar to a ARCHIVE tag during visibility cycling. For
> example, "** +Arhived Tasks...".
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: A nice feature to suggest
@ 2007-02-11 10:37   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-02-11 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-02-11, Carsten Dominik said:

> Why don't you "misuse" the ARCHIVE tag for this?  You could change
> the name of the tag to LOCK or something?  Or maybe we could have a
> list of tags that causes this behavior.

For example, if I set "#+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived Tasks" and ARCHIVE tag
"* Archived Tasks", then future archiving (org-archive-subtree) will
create another "* Archived Tasks". Is this intended?

> Hmmm, I guess you still want these to contribute to sparse trees and
> the agenda.... ?
>
> - Carsten
> On Feb 10, 2007, at 5:05, Leo wrote:
>
>> Hello Carsten,
>>
>> In org, if a subtree has a ARCHIVE tag, it will stay collapsed in
>> visibility cycling. I found this functionality useful in two cases:
>>
>>   - When archive location is in the same file as .org file
>>   - A tree with REPEATing items.
>>
>> Thus, I suggest if a heading of a subtree starts with '+', it will
>> behave similar to a ARCHIVE tag during visibility cycling. For
>> example, "** +Arhived Tasks...".
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

* Re: Re: A nice feature to suggest
@ 2007-02-18 21:09     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 11, 2007, at 11:37, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-02-11, Carsten Dominik said:
>
>> Why don't you "misuse" the ARCHIVE tag for this?  You could change
>> the name of the tag to LOCK or something?  Or maybe we could have a
>> list of tags that causes this behavior.
>
> For example, if I set "#+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived Tasks" and ARCHIVE tag
> "* Archived Tasks", then future archiving (org-archive-subtree) will
> create another "* Archived Tasks". Is this intended?

I have fixed this bug for 4.66.  Is there then still need for an
additional way to lock entries from unfolding?

- Carsten

@ 2007-02-23  4:56       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-02-23  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-02-18, Carsten Dominik said:

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 11:37, Leo wrote:
>
>> On 2007-02-11, Carsten Dominik said:
>>
>>> Why don't you "misuse" the ARCHIVE tag for this?  You could change
>>> the name of the tag to LOCK or something?  Or maybe we could have a
>>> list of tags that causes this behavior.
>>
>> For example, if I set "#+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived Tasks" and ARCHIVE tag
>> "* Archived Tasks", then future archiving (org-archive-subtree) will
>> create another "* Archived Tasks". Is this intended?
>
> I have fixed this bug for 4.66.  Is there then still need for an
> additional way to lock entries from unfolding?
>
> - Carsten

Seems nobody else is interesting in this. Let's leave it for a while.

* Re: Re: A nice feature to suggest
@ 2007-02-25 19:54         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-02-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>>> For example, if I set "#+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived Tasks" and ARCHIVE tag
>>> "* Archived Tasks", then future archiving (org-archive-subtree) will
>>> create another "* Archived Tasks". Is this intended?
>>
>> I have fixed this bug for 4.66.  Is there then still need for an
>> additional way to lock entries from unfolding?

Maybe not directly related, but still: what about my past suggestion
of a static (unfoldable) but active headline?

The syntax i suggested for it was like:

  **: a headline

It would be convenient when you need to store inline tasks that are
neither proper headlines nor list items.  Such a headline wouldn't
(un)fold, not because its content must stay invisible, but because it
has no content.

Does that make sense ?

Bastien