* ox-latex
@ 2015-12-03  9:23 Raimund
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Raimund @ 2015-12-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm a bloody beginner on org-mode so I still am searching my way through
the oceans of informations about getting along with org-mode.

At the moment I am struggling with using latex-export and setting up (a)
latex-class(es).

I found some great instructions on worg: Latex Export vor org-mode < 8.0
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html>
  and it says to make some changes in .emacs like:

> (require  'ox-latex)

If I do that and eval-buffer emacs it reads:

> eval-buffer: Cannot open load file: ox-latex

Now I don't know if it means ox-latex doesn't exist at all ... however,
I thought to look out for ox-latex in the web to download and push it in
my .emacs.d ... hmmm ... even though there are bunches of
ox-whatsoever-files I failed to find ox-latex ... so I think I'm
thinking wrong ... :-(

Can anyone help me out here?

* Re: ox-latex
@ 2015-12-03 10:59 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-12-03 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Raimund <raimund@kohl-fuechsle.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bloody beginner on org-mode so I still am searching my way
> through the oceans of informations about getting along with org-mode.
>
> At the moment I am struggling with using latex-export and setting up
> (a) latex-class(es).
>
> I found some great instructions on worg: Latex Export vor org-mode <
> 8.0 <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html>
>  and it says to make some changes in .emacs like:
>
>> (require  'ox-latex)
>
> If I do that and eval-buffer emacs it reads:
>

>> eval-buffer: Cannot open load file: ox-latex
>
> Now I don't know if it means ox-latex doesn't exist at all
> ... however, I thought to look out for ox-latex in the web to download
> and push it in my .emacs.d ... hmmm ... even though there are bunches
> of ox-whatsoever-files I failed to find ox-latex ... so I think I'm
> thinking wrong ... :-(
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

It sounds like you don't have a recent version of Org.   Please see the
installation instructions in the manual,

             http://orgmode.org/org.html

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
To err is human. To screw up 10⁶ times per second, you need a computer

* Re: ox-latex
@ 2015-12-03 16:36 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-12-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raimund; +Cc: Org Mode

Aloha Raimund,

Raimund <raimund@kohl-fuechsle.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a bloody beginner on org-mode so I still am searching my way through
> the oceans of informations about getting along with org-mode.
>
> At the moment I am struggling with using latex-export and setting up (a)
> latex-class(es).
>
> I found some great instructions on worg: Latex Export vor org-mode < 8.0
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html>
>   and it says to make some changes in .emacs like:

These instructions are for the old exporter.  The new exporter made many
of the old instructions obsolete.

I presume you're using Org mode 8?

>> (require  'ox-latex)
>
> If I do that and eval-buffer emacs it reads:
>

>> eval-buffer: Cannot open load file: ox-latex
>
> Now I don't know if it means ox-latex doesn't exist at all ... however,
> I thought to look out for ox-latex in the web to download and push it in
> my .emacs.d ... hmmm ... even though there are bunches of
> ox-whatsoever-files I failed to find ox-latex ... so I think I'm
> thinking wrong ... :-(
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

The manual is a good starting place.

There are a couple of LaTeX export templates here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/index.html

There is one for annotated bibliographies and another for the Journal
PLOS One.  They should give examples of how the LaTeX exporter can be
customized.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-latex
@ 2015-12-04 14:36   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-12-04 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode, Raimund

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha Raimund,
>
> Raimund <raimund@kohl-fuechsle.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bloody beginner on org-mode so I still am searching my way through
>> the oceans of informations about getting along with org-mode.
>>
>> At the moment I am struggling with using latex-export and setting up (a)
>> latex-class(es).
>>
>> I found some great instructions on worg: Latex Export vor org-mode < 8.0
>> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html>
>>   and it says to make some changes in .emacs like:
>
> These instructions are for the old exporter.  The new exporter made many
> of the old instructions obsolete.
>
> I presume you're using Org mode 8?

The instructions are for Org < 8... but why would those instructions
mention ox-latex? I thought all the ox-* stuff came through only with
8.0? Or was the ox-* convention earlier than I realize?

>>> (require  'ox-latex)
>>
>> If I do that and eval-buffer emacs it reads:
>>

>>> eval-buffer: Cannot open load file: ox-latex
>>
>> Now I don't know if it means ox-latex doesn't exist at all ... however,
>> I thought to look out for ox-latex in the web to download and push it in
>> my .emacs.d ... hmmm ... even though there are bunches of
>> ox-whatsoever-files I failed to find ox-latex ... so I think I'm
>> thinking wrong ... :-(
>>
>> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> The manual is a good starting place.
>
> There are a couple of LaTeX export templates here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/index.html
>
> There is one for annotated bibliographies and another for the Journal
> PLOS One.  They should give examples of how the LaTeX exporter can be
> customized.
>
> hth,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: ox-latex
@ 2015-12-04 14:41 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-12-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raimund; +Cc: Org Mode

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:23 AM, Raimund <raimund@kohl-fuechsle.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bloody beginner on org-mode so I still am searching my way through the
> oceans of informations about getting along with org-mode.
>
> At the moment I am struggling with using latex-export and setting up (a)
> latex-class(es).
>
> I found some great instructions on worg: Latex Export vor org-mode < 8.0
>  and it says to make some changes in .emacs like:
>
> (require 'ox-latex)
>

> If I do that and eval-buffer emacs it reads:
>

> eval-buffer: Cannot open load file: ox-latex
>

> Now I don't know if it means ox-latex doesn't exist at all ... however, I
> thought to look out for ox-latex in the web to download and push it in my
> .emacs.d ... hmmm ... even though there are bunches of ox-whatsoever-files I
> failed to find ox-latex ... so I think I'm thinking wrong ... :-(
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

I think we'll need to start from the beginning. Could you let us know:

- how dd you install org-mode (Emacs package, git, did you extract a
.zip from somewhere, other)?
- where is that org-mode directory (e.g. /some/path/to/org-mode)?
- what's in your .emacs file related to org-mode basics (load-path,
require ox-* statements)?
- what do you get with this command in emacs:

M-x org-version

Perhaps we can get you going with a standard/default LaTeX export,
which will let you move on toward custom classes (and I think Thomas'
email already has some nice tips along that direction).

Thanks,
John