emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
@ 2009-01-18 14:34 Matthew Lundin
  2009-01-31  5:30 ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org-goto. My
question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.

Normally when switching buffers with ido, when I press TAB, (1) the
minibuffer drills down to the matching options (based on what I've typed
so far) and (2) a temporary window shows me the remaining options and
then (on a second press of tab) all available options.

Similarly, when I use org-refile or org-goto without ido, pressing tab
gives me a view of all available options for completion.

But when ido is enabled in org, I get the following error when press
tab (obviously, the content of the error changes with the context).

,----
| ido-file-lessp: Wrong type argument: arrayp, (#("Emacs/Releases/" 0 5
| (face org-level-1 org-category "computer" fontified t) 5 6 nil 6 14
| (face org-level-2 org-category "computer" fontified t) 14 15 nil)
| "/Users/matt/mystuff/org/computer.org" "^\\*\\* Releases[ ]*$" 90233)
`----

My relevant settings are as follows:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require 'ido)
(ido-mode 1)

(ido-everywhere 1)
(setq ido-confirm-unique-completion t)
(setq ido-enable-flex-matching t)
(setq ido-use-filename-at-point t)

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path nil)  
(setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 2)))
	
(setq org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)

(setq org-completion-use-ido t)
(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
  2009-01-18 14:34 Ido and org-refile/org-goto question Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-01-31  5:30 ` Samuel Wales
  2009-02-18  5:27   ` eric johnson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-31  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:34, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org-goto. My
> question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.

I get similar or the same behavior as you describe.  I also get severe
slowness (almost a minute per character typed and c-g not always
working) at times, and a peculiar bug where if you press TAB enough
times (try this) it actually shows a filesystem path name instead of
an olpath.

I wrote to Kim Storm with backtrace and detailed explanation of one of
the bugs, no reply.  It might be up to the users to maintain ido; I
don't know its status.

Meanwhile, there was a post on emacs-help recently with some speedup
changes to ido.  Have not tried them yet.

Despite the bugs, I find ido indispensable, to the point where I
simply would not refile without it.

-- 
For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by
grossly corrupting science.
http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
  2009-01-31  5:30 ` Samuel Wales
@ 2009-02-18  5:27   ` eric johnson
  2009-02-18 12:38     ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: eric johnson @ 2009-02-18  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2827 bytes --]

Hi -

I ran into a similar issue and I believe I have a possible fix to two
issues.

1) ido's tab completion was broken with org-mode because the list of choices
needs to be a list of strings.  The current implementation of
org-ido-completing-read
presents that as a list of consed strings.  Close!  But not quite the same.
I'm
amazed it actually worked.

2) For reasons I haven't fully untangled, ido-enter-matching-directory can
conflict
with deeply nested project paths, so I've rudely set it to nil.  I think
that var is only
a problem when it is set to t - the other options ('first or 'only) appear
to be safer.

Only some minor changes to org-ido-completing-read

   (defun org-ido-completing-read (&rest args)
     "Completing-read using `ido-mode' speedups if available"
     (if (and org-completion-use-ido
          (fboundp 'ido-completing-read)
          (boundp 'ido-mode) ido-mode
          (listp (second args)))
         (let ((ido-enter-matching-directory nil))
       (apply 'ido-completing-read (concat (car args))
                 (mapcar (lambda (x) (car x)) (nth 1 args))
                 (cddr args)))
       (apply 'completing-read args)))

Even with this fix, I'm seeing some lingering pains.  Specifically if you
press tab
multiple times, the range of choices is truncated to a subset.

When I have more free time, I'll research it some more.

-Eric

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:34, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org-goto. My
> > question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.
>
> I get similar or the same behavior as you describe.  I also get severe
> slowness (almost a minute per character typed and c-g not always
> working) at times, and a peculiar bug where if you press TAB enough
> times (try this) it actually shows a filesystem path name instead of
> an olpath.
>
> I wrote to Kim Storm with backtrace and detailed explanation of one of
> the bugs, no reply.  It might be up to the users to maintain ido; I
> don't know its status.
>
> Meanwhile, there was a post on emacs-help recently with some speedup
> changes to ido.  Have not tried them yet.
>
> Despite the bugs, I find ido indispensable, to the point where I
> simply would not refile without it.
>
> --
> For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
> are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by
> grossly corrupting science.
> http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4062 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 204 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
  2009-02-18  5:27   ` eric johnson
@ 2009-02-18 12:38     ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-18 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric johnson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2083 bytes --]

Eric, thanks,

i have installed your modified version of org-ido-completing-read.

On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:27 AM, eric johnson wrote:
>
> Even with this fix, I'm seeing some lingering pains.  Specifically  
> if you press tab
> multiple times, the range of choices is truncated to a subset.
>
> When I have more free time, I'll research it some more.

Please do and keep us posted.

- Carsten

>
>
> -Eric
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Samuel Wales  
> <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:34, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>  
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org- 
> goto. My
> > question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.
>
> I get similar or the same behavior as you describe.  I also get severe
> slowness (almost a minute per character typed and c-g not always
> working) at times, and a peculiar bug where if you press TAB enough
> times (try this) it actually shows a filesystem path name instead of
> an olpath.
>
> I wrote to Kim Storm with backtrace and detailed explanation of one of
> the bugs, no reply.  It might be up to the users to maintain ido; I
> don't know its status.
>
> Meanwhile, there was a post on emacs-help recently with some speedup
> changes to ido.  Have not tried them yet.
>
> Despite the bugs, I find ido indispensable, to the point where I
> simply would not refile without it.
>
> --
> For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
> are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by
> grossly corrupting science.
> http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode


[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 3025 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 204 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-02-18 12:38 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-01-18 14:34 Ido and org-refile/org-goto question Matthew Lundin
2009-01-31  5:30 ` Samuel Wales
2009-02-18  5:27   ` eric johnson
2009-02-18 12:38     ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).