* Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
@ 2009-01-18 14:34 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org-goto. My
question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.

Normally when switching buffers with ido, when I press TAB, (1) the
minibuffer drills down to the matching options (based on what I've typed
so far) and (2) a temporary window shows me the remaining options and
then (on a second press of tab) all available options.

Similarly, when I use org-refile or org-goto without ido, pressing tab
gives me a view of all available options for completion.

But when ido is enabled in org, I get the following error when press
tab (obviously, the content of the error changes with the context).

,----
| ido-file-lessp: Wrong type argument: arrayp, (#("Emacs/Releases/" 0 5
| (face org-level-1 org-category "computer" fontified t) 5 6 nil 6 14
| (face org-level-2 org-category "computer" fontified t) 14 15 nil)
| "/Users/matt/mystuff/org/computer.org" "^\\*\\* Releases[ ]*$" 90233)
`----

My relevant settings are as follows:

(require 'ido)
(ido-mode 1)

(ido-everywhere 1)
(setq ido-confirm-unique-completion t)
(setq ido-enable-flex-matching t)
(setq ido-use-filename-at-point t)

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path nil)
(setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 2)))

(setq org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)

(setq org-completion-use-ido t)
(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)

Best,
Matt

* Re: Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
@ 2009-01-31  5:30 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-31  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:34, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up ido for completion with org-refile and org-goto. My
> question is whether I should expect TAB to work with ido within org.

I get similar or the same behavior as you describe.  I also get severe
slowness (almost a minute per character typed and c-g not always
working) at times, and a peculiar bug where if you press TAB enough
times (try this) it actually shows a filesystem path name instead of
an olpath.

I wrote to Kim Storm with backtrace and detailed explanation of one of
the bugs, no reply.  It might be up to the users to maintain ido; I
don't know its status.

Meanwhile, there was a post on emacs-help recently with some speedup
changes to ido.  Have not tried them yet.

Despite the bugs, I find ido indispensable, to the point where I
simply would not refile without it.

--
For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by

* Re: Ido and org-refile/org-goto question
@ 2009-02-18  5:27   ` eric johnson
From: eric johnson @ 2009-02-18  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi -

I ran into a similar issue and I believe I have a possible fix to two
issues.

1) ido's tab completion was broken with org-mode because the list of choices
needs to be a list of strings.  The current implementation of
org-ido-completing-read
presents that as a list of consed strings.  Close!  But not quite the same.
I'm
amazed it actually worked.

2) For reasons I haven't fully untangled, ido-enter-matching-directory can
conflict
with deeply nested project paths, so I've rudely set it to nil.  I think
that var is only
a problem when it is set to t - the other options ('first or 'only) appear
to be safer.

Only some minor changes to org-ido-completing-read

   (defun org-ido-completing-read (&rest args)
     "Completing-read using `ido-mode' speedups if available"
     (if (and org-completion-use-ido
          (fboundp 'ido-completing-read)
          (boundp 'ido-mode) ido-mode
          (listp (second args)))
         (let ((ido-enter-matching-directory nil))
       (apply 'ido-completing-read (concat (car args))
                 (mapcar (lambda (x) (car x)) (nth 1 args))
                 (cddr args)))
       (apply 'completing-read args)))

Even with this fix, I'm seeing some lingering pains.  Specifically if you
press tab
multiple times, the range of choices is truncated to a subset.

When I have more free time, I'll research it some more.

-Eric

@ 2009-02-18 12:38     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-18 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric johnson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode