* Org release_9.0 hangs
@ 2017-01-17 18:40 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2017-01-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,
    I am using emacs 24.5 (shipped with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). When I try to
switch to org release 9.0 from git repos, emacs hangs when starting up,

This is what I did for switching to release_9.0

git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
cd org-mode
git checkout release_9.0
make autoloads

My .emacs is only two lines as follows, and I remove .emacs.d completely to
rule out any possible interactions with other packages,

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/org-mode/contrib/lisp" t)

By searching this list, I've found other people experiencing hanging
problems. My case is more dramatic, it always happen, even when I try to
open  an empty org file. Everything seems good for release_8.3.6. The
changes introducing in  release_9.0 seems to cause the hanging problem. Any
suggesting in how to track down the problem?

Shiyuan

* Re: Org release_9.0 hangs
@ 2017-01-17 19:06 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Can you recreate the org-mode hangs on the latest commit of the stable
(maint) branch?

Do git checkout maint instead of git checkout release_9.0.

That's said, I have yet to see emacs hang up due to org. I am on the master
branch of org.

--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Org release_9.0 hangs
@ 2017-01-17 19:56 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2017-01-17 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>     I am using emacs 24.5 (shipped with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). When I try to
> switch to org release 9.0 from git repos, emacs hangs when starting up,

I don't know about tracking down, but I've not experienced any hangs
since I turned off the element cache a couple days ago so that might be
worth a try in the absence of anything else:

: (setq org-element-use-cache nil)

Stig

* Re: Org release_9.0 hangs
       [not found] <mailman.107.1484758818.27854.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2017-01-18 19:23 ` Martin Zuther
From: Martin Zuther @ 2017-01-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

My message from two weeks ago ("[O] Possible bug: Emacs hangs on
(require 'org)") seems to have missed attention, so here it is again.

About every third time I start Emacs, I also experience a very slow
startup with org-mode 9.0.3 enabled. I run "GNU Emacs 24.5.1
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04,
modified by Debian" on Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon.

Here is my minimal setup:

   ;;; Minimal setup to load latest 'org-mode'

   ;; activate debugging
   (setq debug-on-error t
             debug-on-signal nil
             debug-on-quit nil)

   ;; add latest org-mode to load path
   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org_9.0.3/lisp")
   (require 'org)

Adding

   Possible bug: Emacs hangs on (require 'org)

to the end of this setup file doesn't change anything.

This bug is solved by disabling my network, but in contrast to Luke , I
have access to a fast and stable network.

Normal startup time is below one second. When the bug hits, it is around
2 minutes and 7 seconds, which to me looks suspiciously like a typical
network timeout of 120 seconds.

Martin