* Installation - no way
@ 2010-07-26  9:48 Lars Labryga
From: Lars Labryga @ 2010-07-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I´m totally fascinated by the possibilities of org-mode! But obviously I
lack computer knowledge to install it. Please help! I want to install
org-mode on windows xp and later on windows 7. Up to now, I don´t use Emacs.

Where can I find a tutorial or in which way can I get enough knowledge to
understand the Installation and Activation part of the manual? Preferably,
but not necessarily in german.

Thanks so much for a (quick) reply, I´m really looking forward to it.

Best regards,

Lars Labryga

* Re: Installation - no way
@ 2010-07-26 22:09 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-07-26 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lars,

Org ships with Emacs, even for Windows.

Go here and get the latest binary zip file:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

It comes with a very basic Windows installer, after you install you
should launch Emacs with the "RunEmacs.exe" file.

You can also associate RunEmacs as the program for all files ending in
.org.

When you launch Emacs, open a file using the menu, then type:

Alt-x org-mode <enter>

Then enjoy!

I'd suggest you do some reading on basic Emacs tutorials, because Org
is an addon to Emacs and you'll want to become proficient ASAP. Then
you can start to appreciate the magic of Org.

Don't let it intimidate you, Org is suitable for all levels of
computer users. Customization can be more difficult than a WYSIWYG
app, but it works out of the box.

Good luck!

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:48:51AM +0200, Lars Labryga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I?m totally fascinated by the possibilities of org-mode! But obviously I
> lack computer knowledge to install it. Please help! I want to install
> org-mode on windows xp and later on windows 7. Up to now, I don?t use Emacs.
>
> Where can I find a tutorial or in which way can I get enough knowledge to
> understand the Installation and Activation part of the manual? Preferably,
> but not necessarily in german.
>
> Thanks so much for a (quick) reply, I?m really looking forward to it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lars Labryga

* Re: Installation - no way
@ 2010-07-27 20:58 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-07-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Have a look also here
http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html
It looks a bit old and I'm not sure it contains org-mode but it should
be a bit easier for beginners.

It will be quite hard anyway if you don't use it every day for some time
to grasp the main concepts.

* Re: Re: Installation - no way
@ 2010-07-28 12:56   ` Jason McBrayer
From: Jason McBrayer @ 2010-07-28 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have a look also here
> http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html
> It looks a bit old and I'm not sure it contains org-mode but it should
> be a bit easier for beginners.

I'd also recommend this for Emacs beginners on Windows. EmacsW32 does
have org-mode, just a little out of date.

--
Jason F. McBrayer
http://jfm.carcosa.net/