* mouse highlight on agenda lines
@ 2012-08-31 18:49 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-31 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

After a recent upgrade to emacs 24, and using the Org-mode that ships
with emacs (7.8.11), the following code that has been in my
initialization file for a long time no longer works:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
  (add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook
    (lambda () (remove-text-properties
               (point-min) (point-max) '(mouse-face t))))
#+end_src

It used to keep the mouse pointer from highlighting agenda lines.

Any idea why it is broken now?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: mouse highlight on agenda lines
@ 2012-08-31 18:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> After a recent upgrade to emacs 24, and using the Org-mode that ships
> with emacs (7.8.11), the following code that has been in my
> initialization file for a long time no longer works:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
>   (add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook
>     (lambda () (remove-text-properties
>                (point-min) (point-max) '(mouse-face t))))
> #+end_src
>
> It used to keep the mouse pointer from highlighting agenda lines.
>
> Any idea why it is broken now?

Maybe.

C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:

,----
| org-finalize-agenda-hook's value is ((lambda nil
|    (remove-text-properties
|     (point-min)
|     (point-max)
|     '(mouse-face t))))
|

|   This variable is obsolete since 24.3;
|   use `org-agenda-finalize-hook' instead.
|   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
`----

Nick

* Re: mouse highlight on agenda lines
@ 2012-08-31 22:02   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-31 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> After a recent upgrade to emacs 24, and using the Org-mode that ships
>> with emacs (7.8.11), the following code that has been in my
>> initialization file for a long time no longer works:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
>>   (add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook
>>     (lambda () (remove-text-properties
>>                (point-min) (point-max) '(mouse-face t))))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> It used to keep the mouse pointer from highlighting agenda lines.
>>
>> Any idea why it is broken now?
>
> Maybe.
>
> C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:
>
> ,----
> | org-finalize-agenda-hook's value is ((lambda nil
> |    (remove-text-properties
> |     (point-min)
> |     (point-max)
> |     '(mouse-face t))))
> |

> |   This variable is obsolete since 24.3;
> |   use `org-agenda-finalize-hook' instead.
> |   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
> `----
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm on a bumpy upgrade road here.  I like the promise of ELPA, but so
far the org package hasn't worked so well for me :(

On my system, C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:

org-finalize-agenda-hook is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
Its value is ((lambda nil
   (remove-text-properties
    (point-min)
    (point-max)
    '(mouse-face t))))

Original value was nil

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
Hook run just before displaying an agenda buffer.

I see from your post that the hook I'm using will go away when I find
time to get current again.  I suppose there is no sense trying to figure
out why my soon-to-be-obsolete hook isn't working on an outdated system.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye

@ 2012-08-31 22:19     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-31 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Aloha all,
> >>
> >> After a recent upgrade to emacs 24, and using the Org-mode that ships
> >> with emacs (7.8.11), the following code that has been in my
> >> initialization file for a long time no longer works:
> >>
> >> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
> >>   (add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook
> >>     (lambda () (remove-text-properties
> >>                (point-min) (point-max) '(mouse-face t))))
> >> #+end_src
> >>
> >> It used to keep the mouse pointer from highlighting agenda lines.
> >>
> >> Any idea why it is broken now?
> >
> > Maybe.
> >
> > C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:
> >
> > ,----
> > | org-finalize-agenda-hook's value is ((lambda nil
> > |    (remove-text-properties
> > |     (point-min)
> > |     (point-max)
> > |     '(mouse-face t))))
> > |

> > |   This variable is obsolete since 24.3;
> > |   use `org-agenda-finalize-hook' instead.
> > |   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
> > `----
> >
> > Nick
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> I'm on a bumpy upgrade road here.  I like the promise of ELPA, but so
> far the org package hasn't worked so well for me :(
>
> On my system, C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:
>
> org-finalize-agenda-hook is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
> Its value is ((lambda nil
>    (remove-text-properties
>     (point-min)
>     (point-max)
>     '(mouse-face t))))
>
> Original value was nil
>
>   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
>
> Documentation:
> Hook run just before displaying an agenda buffer.
>
> I see from your post that the hook I'm using will go away when I find
> time to get current again.  I suppose there is no sense trying to figure
> out why my soon-to-be-obsolete hook isn't working on an outdated system.

Do you have org-agenda-finalize-hook? If so, try adding your function to
that. It seems to work for me, but we *are* running different bits, so you
might have to get back onto the bleeding edge before it works for you
again.

Nick

* Re: mouse highlight on agenda lines
@ 2012-08-31 23:20       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> > Maybe.
>> >
>> > C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:
>> >
>> > ,----

>> > `----
>> >
>> > Nick
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> I'm on a bumpy upgrade road here.  I like the promise of ELPA, but so
>> far the org package hasn't worked so well for me :(
>>
>> On my system, C-h v org-finalize-agenda-hook says:
>>
>> org-finalize-agenda-hook is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
>> Its value is ((lambda nil
>>    (remove-text-properties
>>     (point-min)
>>     (point-max)
>>     '(mouse-face t))))
>>
>> Original value was nil
>>
>>   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
>>
>> Documentation:
>> Hook run just before displaying an agenda buffer.
>>
>> I see from your post that the hook I'm using will go away when I find
>> time to get current again.  I suppose there is no sense trying to figure
>> out why my soon-to-be-obsolete hook isn't working on an outdated system.
>>

> Do you have org-agenda-finalize-hook? If so, try adding your function to
> that. It seems to work for me, but we *are* running different bits, so you
> might have to get back onto the bleeding edge before it works for you
> again.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Nope, org-agenda-finalize-hook is still a gleam my installation's eye.

I appreciate your help and will be back once I manage to climb back onto
the bleeding edge again.

Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye