* Capture error
@ 2012-10-30  0:26 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-30  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

With a recent make update from Git I'm getting this error when I try to
Finish (with C-c C-c) some tried and true capture templates:

org-capture-bookmark-last-stored-position: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors

Here is a backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
  org-capture-bookmark-last-stored-position()
  org-capture-finalize(nil)
  call-interactively(org-capture-finalize nil nil)

Org-mode version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-535-g8fb598 @
/Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)

The information is captured to the file, but the capture buffer doesn't
go away.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30  0:51 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-30  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> With a recent make update from Git I'm getting this error when I try to
> Finish (with C-c C-c) some tried and true capture templates:
>
> org-capture-bookmark-last-stored-position: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors
>
> Here is a backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
>   org-capture-bookmark-last-stored-position()
>   org-capture-finalize(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-capture-finalize nil nil)
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-535-g8fb598 @
> /Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> The information is captured to the file, but the capture buffer doesn't
> go away.

Can't see anything wrong and I cannot reproduce it. with-demoted-errors
exists in both emacs 23 and 24. It (along with other
with-... constructs) is a macro, so there may be some problem with
compilation (although I tried compiling org as well). Can you try with
uncompiled org-capture.el? The first error message seems to indicate
that o-c-b-l-s-p was compiled without knowledge of the macro, so it
assumes that it is a function that will exist at runtime.

Or perhaps starting with a fresh emacs might make the problem go away.

Nick

PS. BTW, nothing to do with this problem but make update/make test got
an unexpected failure:

Test test-org/end-of-line backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (org-test-with-temp-text "* Headlin
  ert-fail(((should (org-test-with-temp-text "* Headline :tag:" (let (
  (if (unwind-protect (setq value-3861 (let ((temp-buffer (generate-ne
  (let (form-description-3862) (if (unwind-protect (setq value-3861 (l
  (let ((value-3861 (ert--gensym "ert-form-evaluation-aborted-"))) (le
  (lambda nil (let ((value-3857 (ert--gensym "ert-form-evaluation-abor
  byte-code("\306\307!\x18q\210\310\216\311 \x19\312\216\313\314\315\316\3
  ert--run-test-internal([cl-struct-ert--test-execution-info [cl-struc
  byte-code("\306\307!\211\x18\211\x19r\310\311!q\210\312 d\313\223)L\210)\3
  ert-run-test([cl-struct-ert-test test-org/end-of-line "Test `org-end
  ert-run-or-rerun-test([cl-struct-ert--stats "\\(org\\|ob\\)" [[cl-st
  ert-run-tests("\\(org\\|ob\\)" #[(event-type &rest event-args) "\306
  ert-run-tests-batch("\\(org\\|ob\\)")
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit("\\(org\\|ob\\)")
  (let ((org-id-track-globally t) (org-id-locations-file (convert-stan
  org-test-run-batch-tests()
  call-interactively(org-test-run-batch-tests nil nil)
  command-execute(org-test-run-batch-tests)
  command-line-1(("--eval" "(add-to-list 'load-path \"./lisp\")" "--ev
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test test-org/end-of-line condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (org-test-with-temp-text "* Headline :tag:"
	 (let ... ...)))
      :form
      (let
	  ((temp-buffer ...))
	(with-current-buffer temp-buffer
	  (unwind-protect ... ...)))
      :value nil))
   FAILED  309/326  test-org/end-of-line

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30  6:38   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-30  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Nick,

I tried moving org-capture.elc out of the way and reloading Org, but
with the same results.  Starting emacs again didn't make a difference.

I'm still getting org-refile: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors

All the best,
Tom

@ 2012-10-30 12:53     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I tried moving org-capture.elc out of the way and reloading Org, but
> with the same results.  Starting emacs again didn't make a difference.
>
> I'm still getting org-refile: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors

But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
from scratch.

Nick

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30 16:42       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-30 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> I tried moving org-capture.elc out of the way and reloading Org, but
>> with the same results.  Starting emacs again didn't make a difference.
>>
>> I'm still getting org-refile: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors
>>

> But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
> the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
> cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
> from scratch.

Sharp eyes!  You must have been down this road before.

Yes, cleaning out the .elc files corrects the problem.  However, the
problem comes back with a new make update.

Thanks for your help and the interim solution.

Any idea if the compilation problem is something in my setup that I
should worry about? Or is it likely a problem with the Org build process
that will get ironed out?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30 17:15         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-30 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nick,
> >>
> >> I tried moving org-capture.elc out of the way and reloading Org, but
> >> with the same results.  Starting emacs again didn't make a difference.
> >>
> >> I'm still getting org-refile: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors
> >>

> > But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
> > the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
> > cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
> > from scratch.
>
> Sharp eyes!  You must have been down this road before.
>
> Yes, cleaning out the .elc files corrects the problem.  However, the
> problem comes back with a new make update.
>
> Thanks for your help and the interim solution.
>
> Any idea if the compilation problem is something in my setup that I
> should worry about? Or is it likely a problem with the Org build process
> that will get ironed out?

Not sure. I don't see the problem in my setup, and I believe you use emacs
on a Mac, so it *may* be specific to your setup.

OTOH, the with-demoted-errors calls were introduced recently, so there
may be a more general problem that I might not see because of
peculiarities in *my* setup.

Nick

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30 17:35         ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-10-30 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode

Hello,

On 10月 31 2012, tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nick,
>>>
>>> I tried moving org-capture.elc out of the way and reloading Org, but
>>> with the same results.  Starting emacs again didn't make a difference.
>>>
>>> I'm still getting org-refile: Invalid function: with-demoted-errors
>>>

>> But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
>> the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
>> cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
>> from scratch.
>
> Sharp eyes!  You must have been down this road before.
>
> Yes, cleaning out the .elc files corrects the problem.  However, the
> problem comes back with a new make update.
>
> Thanks for your help and the interim solution.
>
> Any idea if the compilation problem is something in my setup that I
> should worry about? Or is it likely a problem with the Org build process
> that will get ironed out?

Sorry for jumping in.,

If I happened to see something is wrong with my Emacs or org-mode (I build both
from vc heads.) I will first do git clean and build again.,

    git reset --hard
    git clean -xdf
    # (Remember both commands are destructive in a sense)

So that I can make sure my built is clean up to certain degree.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-30 19:16           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 10月 31 2012, tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>>> But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
>>> the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
>>> cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
>>> from scratch.
>>
>> Sharp eyes!  You must have been down this road before.
>>
>> Yes, cleaning out the .elc files corrects the problem.  However, the
>> problem comes back with a new make update.
>>
>> Thanks for your help and the interim solution.
>>
>> Any idea if the compilation problem is something in my setup that I
>> should worry about? Or is it likely a problem with the Org build process
>> that will get ironed out?
>
> Sorry for jumping in.,

No problem.  I'm happy to have your attention.

> If I happened to see something is wrong with my Emacs or org-mode (I build both
> from vc heads.) I will first do git clean and build again.,
>
>     git reset --hard
>     git clean -xdf
>     # (Remember both commands are destructive in a sense)

Tried this, but the problem persists.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Capture error
@ 2012-10-31 21:20           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-31 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> > But note the different error: now org-refile complains. It may have had
>> > the same compilation problem that the original function had. I'd suggest
>> > cleaning out all the .elc files, trying it, and if that succeeds, remaking
>> > from scratch.
>>
>> Sharp eyes!  You must have been down this road before.
>>
>> Yes, cleaning out the .elc files corrects the problem.  However, the
>> problem comes back with a new make update.
>>
>> Thanks for your help and the interim solution.
>>
>> Any idea if the compilation problem is something in my setup that I
>> should worry about? Or is it likely a problem with the Org build process
>> that will get ironed out?
>>

> Not sure. I don't see the problem in my setup, and I believe you use emacs
> on a Mac, so it *may* be specific to your setup.
>
> OTOH, the with-demoted-errors calls were introduced recently, so there
> may be a more general problem that I might not see because of
> peculiarities in *my* setup.

Thanks for pointing me to the solution. The automated build was finding
the emacs that came with the Mac, which is apparently too old to know
about with-demoted-errors.  If I use local.mk to point to the emacs I'm
using from MacPorts, then do make update, all seems to be well.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye