* Anchors in texinfo export
@ 2013-02-13 16:31 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-02-13 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:

# <<x-export-to-odt>>

to this:

@c <<x-export-to-odt>>

I was expecting to see a texinfo anchor:

@anchor{x-export-to-odt}

There are a handful of these dedicated target comments cum anchors in the Org
mode manual. I believe all of them are in places where it would be easy
to replace them with links directly to the corresponding headline/node.

Should I edit them away? Or, are dedicated target comments/anchors
something the texinfo exporter should handle?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Anchors in texinfo export
@ 2013-02-13 16:46 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-13 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:
>
> # <<x-export-to-odt>>

This isn't a target. This is a comment that contains some text looking
like Org syntax.

> to this:
>
> @c <<x-export-to-odt>>
>
> I was expecting to see a texinfo anchor:
>
> @anchor{x-export-to-odt}
>
> There are a handful of these dedicated target comments cum anchors in the Org
> mode manual. I believe all of them are in places where it would be easy
> to replace them with links directly to the corresponding headline/node.
>
> Should I edit them away? Or, are dedicated target comments/anchors
> something the texinfo exporter should handle?

There are no such things as "dedicated targets". Though
<<x-export-to-odt>> within a paragraph should be translated into some
sort of anchor. Isn't it the case?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Anchors in texinfo export
@ 2013-02-13 18:04   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-02-13 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:
>>
>> # <<x-export-to-odt>>
>
> This isn't a target. This is a comment that contains some text looking
> like Org syntax.

OK.  I see I have a note from you to revise the manual @ 4.2 Internal links:

  The preferred match for a text link is a dedicated target: the same
  string in double angular brackets. Targets may be located anywhere;
  sometimes it is convenient to put them into a comment line. For example

       # <<My Target>>

>> to this:
>>
>> @c <<x-export-to-odt>>
>>
>> I was expecting to see a texinfo anchor:
>>
>> @anchor{x-export-to-odt}
>>
>> There are a handful of these dedicated target comments cum anchors in the Org
>> mode manual. I believe all of them are in places where it would be easy
>> to replace them with links directly to the corresponding headline/node.
>>
>> Should I edit them away? Or, are dedicated target comments/anchors
>> something the texinfo exporter should handle?
>
> There are no such things as "dedicated targets". Though
> <<x-export-to-odt>> within a paragraph should be translated into some
> sort of anchor. Isn't it the case?

I don't know yet.  AFAICT there isn't a need for this construct in the
Org mode manual.

At any rate, I'll go ahead and get rid of the comments that contain this
text with apparent Org mode syntax and replace the links to them with
links back to the corresponding headlines.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

@ 2013-02-13 18:21     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>>
>>> Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:
>>>
>>> # <<x-export-to-odt>>
>>
>> This isn't a target. This is a comment that contains some text looking
>> like Org syntax.
>>

> OK.  I see I have a note from you to revise the manual @ 4.2 Internal links:
>
>   The preferred match for a text link is a dedicated target: the same
>   string in double angular brackets. Targets may be located anywhere;
>   sometimes it is convenient to put them into a comment line. For example
>
>        # <<My Target>>
>
>>> to this:
>>>
>>> @c <<x-export-to-odt>>
>>>
>>> I was expecting to see a texinfo anchor:
>>>
>>> @anchor{x-export-to-odt}
>>>
>>> There are a handful of these dedicated target comments cum anchors in the Org
>>> mode manual. I believe all of them are in places where it would be easy
>>> to replace them with links directly to the corresponding headline/node.
>>>
>>> Should I edit them away? Or, are dedicated target comments/anchors
>>> something the texinfo exporter should handle?
>>
>> There are no such things as "dedicated targets". Though
>> <<x-export-to-odt>> within a paragraph should be translated into some
>> sort of anchor. Isn't it the case?
>
> I don't know yet.  AFAICT there isn't a need for this construct in the
> Org mode manual.
>
> At any rate, I'll go ahead and get rid of the comments that contain this
> text with apparent Org mode syntax and replace the links to them with
> links back to the corresponding headlines.

For completeness, when you put a target <<target>> somewhere, optimally
(this obviously depends on the back-end):

  - [[target]] should link to it and be displayed as the ordinal of the
    environment containing it (a.k.a cross-reference).

  - [[target][text]] should link to it and be displayed as "text".

Also, there is a special #+TARGET: keyword. It will never be exported
and links to it will be ignored. It allows for quick navigation in an
Org buffer without impacting export.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Anchors in texinfo export
@ 2013-02-14 16:45 ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2013-02-14 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello Tom,

On 13 February 2013 11:31, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:
>
> # <<x-export-to-odt>>
>
> to this:
>
> @c <<x-export-to-odt>>
>
> It shouldn't need to be within a comment to work successfully in the
Texinfo exporter.
@anchor{} is not visible to the reader (unless looking at the .texi source)
so it won't
be impacted by being outside of a comment.

> I was expecting to see a texinfo anchor:
>
> @anchor{x-export-to-odt}
>
> There are a handful of these dedicated target comments cum anchors in the
> Org
> mode manual. I believe all of them are in places where it would be easy
> to replace them with links directly to the corresponding headline/node.
>
> Should I edit them away? Or, are dedicated target comments/anchors
> something the texinfo exporter should handle?

Regards,

Jon
--

@ 2013-02-14 17:02   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-02-14 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Jon,

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Tom,
>
> On 13 February 2013 11:31, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> Currently, the texinfo exporter translates a dedicated target in a comment:
>>
>> # <<x-export-to-odt>>
>>
>> to this:
>>
>> @c <<x-export-to-odt>>
>>
>> It shouldn't need to be within a comment to work successfully in the
> Texinfo exporter.
> @anchor{} is not visible to the reader (unless looking at the .texi source)
> so it won't
> be impacted by being outside of a comment.

Thanks.  I've moved the anchors outside comments and all is well.  In
fact, the entire manual now exports texinfo that makeinfo compiles
without any complaints.

All the best,
Tom

--