* Using a Square box character for "TODO" and "DONE" states in org?
@ 2008-07-18 17:14 Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-07-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I was just thinking today that instead of using "TODO" and "DONE"
keywords in org-mode to denote tasks, why not use a square box character
(like in task manager apps) to denote a TODO state and a square box with
a tick to denote a completed state... That would make the tasks look
more intuitive...

Since I'm only superficially familiar with UTF and issues with character
sets, could someone suggest a method on how to achieve this? I guess, I
should be able to copy and paste this character in a customize buffer,
right? Any issues with this?

Thanks,
Jose

* Re: Using a Square box character for "TODO" and "DONE" states in org?
@ 2008-07-18 17:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-18 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Robins; +Cc: org-mode

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Jose Robins wrote:

> I was just thinking today that instead of using "TODO" and "DONE"
> keywords in org-mode to denote tasks, why not use a square box
> character (like in task manager apps) to denote a TODO state and a
> square box with a tick to denote a completed state... That would
> make the tasks look more intuitive...
>
> Since I'm only superficially familiar with UTF and issues with
> character sets, could someone suggest a method on how to achieve
> this? I guess, I should be able to copy and paste this character in
> a customize buffer, right? Any issues with this?

You can use any characters if you also tell the syntax table that
these are word characters.

- Carsten

* Re: Using a Square box character for "TODO" and "DONE" states in org?
@ 2008-07-18 21:01   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2008-07-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Jose Robins wrote:
>
>     I was just thinking today that instead of using "TODO" and "DONE" keywords in org-mode to denote tasks,
>     why not use a square box character (like in task manager apps) to denote a TODO state and a square box
>     with a tick to denote a completed state... That would make the tasks look more intuitive...
>
>     Since I'm only superficially familiar with UTF and issues with character sets, could someone suggest a
>     method on how to achieve this? I guess, I should be able to copy and paste this character in a customize
>     buffer, right? Any issues with this?
>
> You can use any characters if you also tell the syntax table that these are word characters.

These characters may be helpful:

☐: U+2610 BALLOT BOX
☑: U+2611 BALLOT BOX WITH CHECK
☒: U+2612 BALLOT BOX WITH X

How helpful they are probably depends on your font; they look good but
small in DejaVu Sans Mono.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |