* Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 14:56 Robert Goldman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:

* Tasks
* * Meeting with XXXX
  SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>

What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
down my agenda, e.g.:

Wednesday   8 October 2008
  smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX

I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.

Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?

Or, is it the case that I should only use SCHEDULED with todo items?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Best,

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 15:48 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-08 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
> with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
>
> * Tasks
> * * Meeting with XXXX
>   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
>
> What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
> down my agenda, e.g.:

> Wednesday   8 October 2008
>   smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
>
> I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
> SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
> looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
>
> Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
> that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
> done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?
>
> Or, is it the case that I should only use SCHEDULED with todo items?
>
> Any guidance much appreciated.

I make these things into TODO items so it's

** TODO Meeting with XXXX

and when you mark it DONE it stops showing up on the agenda.  If you
don't do it when scheduled it starts carrying forward in the agenda.

Alternatively you can just use a date without SCHEDULED: and it'll be
only at the specific time you specify.

I prefer using TODO/DONE so it's obvious when things are complete and I
can archive them later without having to look at the date to see if it's
in the future/past.

-Bernt

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 16:22 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-08 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
  > I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
  > with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
  >
  > * Tasks
  > * * Meeting with XXXX
  >  SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
  >
  > What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
  > down my agenda, e.g.:

  > Wednesday   8 October 2008
  >  smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
  >
  > I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
  > SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
  > looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
  >
  > Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
  > that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
  > done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?

When something is SCHEDULED it continues to appear in agenda as long
as it is not marked DONE.  You can do that (marking something DONE)
using C-c C-d in the Org file or using "t" from agenda view.

-- Manish

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 17:26   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manish wrote:
>   On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>   > I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
>   > with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
>   >
>   > * Tasks
>   > ...
>   > * * Meeting with XXXX
>   >  SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
>   > ...
>   >
>   > What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
>   > down my agenda, e.g.:
>   >
>   > ....
>   > Wednesday   8 October 2008
>   >  smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
>   > ....
>   >
>   > I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
>   > SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
>   > looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
>   >
>   > Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
>   > that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
>   > done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?
>
> When something is SCHEDULED it continues to appear in agenda as long
> as it is not marked DONE.  You can do that (marking something DONE)
> using C-c C-d in the Org file or using "t" from agenda view.

OK.  But that does seem weird to me.  Meetings seem like things that
should be scheduled, but they are not TODO items, so they don't seem
like the sort of thing that should get a TODO marker (which it what
"DONE" is), and they don't seem like the sort of thing that should
require an active dismissal.

So it seems like "SCHEDULED" is just the Wrong Thing for stuff like my
meeting.  Is there any different flag I could use that would give me a
single appearance in the Agenda?

thanks,

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 17:28   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-08 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:
>
>> I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
>> with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
>>
>> * Tasks
>> * * Meeting with XXXX
>>   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
>>
>> What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
>> down my agenda, e.g.:

>> Wednesday   8 October 2008
>>   smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
>>
>> I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
>> SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
>> looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
>>
>> Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
>> that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
>> done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?
>>
>> Or, is it the case that I should only use SCHEDULED with todo items?
>>
>> Any guidance much appreciated.
>>

> I make these things into TODO items so it's
>
> ** TODO Meeting with XXXX
>
> and when you mark it DONE it stops showing up on the agenda.  If you
> don't do it when scheduled it starts carrying forward in the agenda.
>
> Alternatively you can just use a date without SCHEDULED: and it'll be
> only at the specific time you specify.
>
> I prefer using TODO/DONE so it's obvious when things are complete and I
> can archive them later without having to look at the date to see if it's
> in the future/past.
>
> -Bernt

Thanks, that seems like the answer for me --- just put a date stamp on
the item.

Best,

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 17:53     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-08 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
> Manish wrote:
>>   On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>>   > I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
>>   > with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
>>   >
>>   > * Tasks
>>   > ...
>>   > * * Meeting with XXXX
>>   >  SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
>>   > ...
>>   >
>>   > What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
>>   > down my agenda, e.g.:
>>   >
>>   > ....
>>   > Wednesday   8 October 2008
>>   >  smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
>>   > ....
>>   >
>>   > I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
>>   > SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
>>   > looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
>>   >
>>   > Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
>>   > that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
>>   > done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?
>>
>> When something is SCHEDULED it continues to appear in agenda as long
>> as it is not marked DONE.  You can do that (marking something DONE)
>> using C-c C-d in the Org file or using "t" from agenda view.
>>

> OK.  But that does seem weird to me.  Meetings seem like things that
> should be scheduled, but they are not TODO items, so they don't seem
> like the sort of thing that should get a TODO marker (which it what
> "DONE" is), and they don't seem like the sort of thing that should
> require an active dismissal.

Most of my meetings are of recurring nature so I never really thought
about this but I see what you mean.

> So it seems like "SCHEDULED" is just the Wrong Thing for stuff like my
> meeting.  Is there any different flag I could use that would give me a
> single appearance in the Agenda?

I am sorry I am not aware of any such TODO keyword/tag.  I was not
aware of an item appearing just once if SCHEDULED keyword was omitted
as suggested by Bernt.  (He almost always teaches me something new
every time.)

-- Manish

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 18:10       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-10-08 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Robert Goldman

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>> So it seems like "SCHEDULED" is just the Wrong Thing for stuff like my
>> meeting.  Is there any different flag I could use that would give me a
>> single appearance in the Agenda?
>
> I am sorry I am not aware of any such TODO keyword/tag.  I was not
> aware of an item appearing just once if SCHEDULED keyword was omitted
> as suggested by Bernt.  (He almost always teaches me something new
> every time.)

This is the first I've read of this conversation so please forgive if
I'm repeating something that's already been said.  I agree that the
behavior of the SCHEDULED keyword is counter-intuitive.  For all of my
meetings I just include a time stamp C-c. (cntrl-c period) in the header

* one time meeting <2008-10-08 Wed 11:00>

or for repeating meetings

* weekly meeting <2008-10-08 Wed 11:00 +1w>

-- Eric

> -- Manish

* Re: Question about agenda
@ 2008-10-08 18:50 ` Austin Frank