* Tags question
@ 2011-12-24  4:58 Pavel Panchekha
From: Pavel Panchekha @ 2011-12-24  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I like seeing an organized breakdown of tasks I need to get done.  I don't
use deadlines, so the agenda view isn't useful to me, but what would be
nice is just all of my tasks grouped by tags.  So, for each tag, all tasks
with that  tag.  I'd been doing this manually by setting up a heirarchy and
using the outlining tools, but I'm afraid using tags instead of heirarchy
is becoming useful to me.  Is there any agenda view or other feature that
does this, and if not, how might I go about coding it myself?

- Pavel Panchekha

* Re: Tags question
@ 2011-12-24 13:47 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-12-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Panchekha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Pavel Panchekha <me@pavpanchekha.com> writes:

> I like seeing an organized breakdown of tasks I need to get done.  I
> don't use deadlines, so the agenda view isn't useful to me, but what
> would be nice is just all of my tasks grouped by tags.  So, for each
> tag, all tasks with that  tag.  I'd been doing this manually by
> setting up a heirarchy and using the outlining tools, but I'm afraid
> using tags instead of heirarchy is becoming useful to me.  Is there
> any agenda view or other feature that does this, and if not, how
> might I go about coding it myself?
>
> - Pavel Panchekha

The agenda view is much more than a calendar-only view.

Try the todo list agenda view with a tag filter to show only tasks for a
specific tag

C-c a t / TAB tag RET

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Tags question
@ 2011-12-24 16:20   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-24 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Pavel Panchekha, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Pavel Panchekha <me@pavpanchekha.com> writes:
>
> > I like seeing an organized breakdown of tasks I need to get done.  I
> > don't use deadlines, so the agenda view isn't useful to me, but what
> > would be nice is just all of my tasks grouped by tags.  So, for each
> > tag, all tasks with that  tag.  I'd been doing this manually by
> > setting up a heirarchy and using the outlining tools, but I'm afraid
> > using tags instead of heirarchy is becoming useful to me.  Is there
> > any agenda view or other feature that does this, and if not, how
> > might I go about coding it myself?
> >
> > - Pavel Panchekha
>
> The agenda view is much more than a calendar-only view.
>
> Try the todo list agenda view with a tag filter to show only tasks for a
> specific tag
>
> C-c a t / TAB tag RET

Also check out section 6.3 of the manual: (info "(org)Tag searches")

Nick

* Re: Tags question
@ 2011-12-24 16:22     ` Pavel Panchekha
From: Pavel Panchekha @ 2011-12-24 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Hmm, I can see how to view all TODOs associated with a tag... but how can I
do this across all tags.  In SQL terms, I need a RIGHT JOIN, not a SELECT
... WHERE.

- Pavel Panchekha

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
> > Pavel Panchekha <me@pavpanchekha.com> writes:
> >
> > > I like seeing an organized breakdown of tasks I need to get done.  I
> > > don't use deadlines, so the agenda view isn't useful to me, but what
> > > would be nice is just all of my tasks grouped by tags.  So, for each
> > > tag, all tasks with that  tag.  I'd been doing this manually by
> > > setting up a heirarchy and using the outlining tools, but I'm afraid
> > > using tags instead of heirarchy is becoming useful to me.  Is there
> > > any agenda view or other feature that does this, and if not, how
> > > might I go about coding it myself?
> > >
> > > - Pavel Panchekha
> >
> > The agenda view is much more than a calendar-only view.
> >
> > Try the todo list agenda view with a tag filter to show only tasks for a
> > specific tag
> >
> > C-c a t / TAB tag RET
> >

> Also check out section 6.3 of the manual: (info "(org)Tag searches")
>
> Nick

* Re: Tags question
@ 2011-12-24 17:56       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Panchekha; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Pavel Panchekha <me@pavpanchekha.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I can see how to view all TODOs associated with a tag... but how can I do this across all tags.
> In SQL terms, I need a RIGHT JOIN, not a SELECT ... WHERE.

There is a function that is used for tags completion:

,----
| org-global-tags-completion-table is a Lisp function in `org.el'.
|
| (org-global-tags-completion-table &optional FILES)
|
| Return the list of all tags in all agenda buffer/files.
| Optional FILES argument is a list of files to which can be used
| instead of the agenda files.
`----

Maybe you can use that to loop over tags - depending on how you organize
your files and how you arrange the loops, there might be significant performance
differences, so you might want to experiment.

HTH,
Nick

> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>     Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
>     > Pavel Panchekha <me@pavpanchekha.com> writes:
>     >
>     > > I like seeing an organized breakdown of tasks I need to get done.  I
>     > > don't use deadlines, so the agenda view isn't useful to me, but what
>     > > would be nice is just all of my tasks grouped by tags.  So, for each
>     > > tag, all tasks with that  tag.  I'd been doing this manually by
>     > > setting up a heirarchy and using the outlining tools, but I'm afraid
>     > > using tags instead of heirarchy is becoming useful to me.  Is there
>     > > any agenda view or other feature that does this, and if not, how
>     > > might I go about coding it myself?
>     > >
>     > > - Pavel Panchekha
>     >
>     > The agenda view is much more than a calendar-only view.
>     >
>     > Try the todo list agenda view with a tag filter to show only tasks for a
>     > specific tag
>     >
>     > C-c a t / TAB tag RET
>     >

>     Also check out section 6.3 of the manual: (info "(org)Tag searches")
>
>     Nick

> Alternatives:

* Re: Tags question
@ 2011-12-24 20:28         ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-12-24 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
> There is a function that is used for tags completion:
>
> ,----
> | org-global-tags-completion-table is a Lisp function in `org.el'.
> |
> | (org-global-tags-completion-table &optional FILES)
> |
> | Return the list of all tags in all agenda buffer/files.
> | Optional FILES argument is a list of files to which can be used
> | instead of the agenda files.
> `----

An easy alternative if the list of tags is small and relatively stable would
be to create a custom block agenda view (or maybe several different block
agendas).  Below is example code from the Org
documentation:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
           '(("h" "Agenda and Home-related tasks"
              ((agenda "")
               (tags-todo "home")
               (tags "garden")))
             ("o" "Agenda and Office-related tasks"
              ((agenda "")
               (tags-todo "work")
               (tags "office")))))

"This will define C-c a h to create a multi-block view for stuff you need to
attend to at home. The resulting agenda buffer will contain your agenda for the
current week, all TODO items that carry the tag ‘home’, and also all lines
tagged with ‘garden’. Finally the command C-c a o provides a similar view for
office tasks."
http://orgmode.org/manual/Block-agenda.html#Block-agenda