* Separate function for config listing from org-submit-bug-report
@ 2009-10-26 19:50 Jeff Kowalczyk
From: Jeff Kowalczyk @ 2009-10-26 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The code to list a user's Org configuration which differs from the defaults is
very useful. However, I've never run the M-x org-submit-bug-report command to
completion, since I'm prompted for my GMail IMAP password before the config
output is shown. I wouldn't want to spam the list with test data.

I'd like to make a feature request that the configuration-dump code be
refactored to a separate command which can be inserted at point or to a new
buffer. org-submit-bug-report would call this function to build it's message.

I couldn't get the form inside of (org.el):

 (when (yes-or-no-p "Include your Org-mode configuration ")
 .... )

to execute in the scratch buffer.

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: Separate function for config listing from org-submit-bug-report
@ 2009-10-28  9:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-28  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Kowalczyk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

I don't know why you are being prompted for you IMAP password,
but regardless of this the email should not be send automatically.
So I think you can go through the process and then copy the text and
just not
send the message!

I cannot easily isolate this, because my code only produces the list
of interesting variables.  Some code in reporter.el does the quoting
and insertion.

- Carsten

On Oct 26, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> The code to list a user's Org configuration which differs from the
> defaults is
> very useful. However, I've never run the M-x org-submit-bug-report
> command to
> completion, since I'm prompted for my GMail IMAP password before the
> config
> output is shown. I wouldn't want to spam the list with test data.
>
> I'd like to make a feature request that the configuration-dump code be
> refactored to a separate command which can be inserted at point or
> to a new
> buffer. org-submit-bug-report would call this function to build it's
> message.
>
> I couldn't get the form inside of (org.el):
>
> (when (yes-or-no-p "Include your Org-mode configuration ")
> .... )
>
> to execute in the scratch buffer.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

- Carsten

* Re: Separate function for config listing from org-submit-bug-report
@ 2009-10-28 16:50   ` Jeff Kowalczyk
From: Jeff Kowalczyk @ 2009-10-28 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I don't know why you are being prompted for you IMAP password,
> but regardless of this the email should not be send automatically.
> So I think you can go through the process and then copy the text and
> just not send the message!

The email client is is wanderlust, and it must be trying to initialize a draft
message on Google Mail when creating a send message buffer. You are correct, it
did give the opportunity to cancel the message before sending. Thanks,

> I cannot easily isolate this, because my code only produces the list
> of interesting variables.  Some code in reporter.el does the quoting
> and insertion.

Do you have any ideas how to get the following function to work? It is intended
to insert the configuration at point:

(defun org-dump-configuration ()
  "Call reporter-dump-state (pkgname varlist pre-hooks post-hooks)"
  (interactive)
  (require 'reporter)
  (reporter-dump-state
   (org-version)
   (let (mylist)
     (mapatoms
      (lambda (v)
        (and (boundp v)
          (string-match "\\`\\(org-\\|outline-\\)" (symbol-name v))
          (or (and (symbol-value v)
                   (string-match "\\(-hook\\|-function\\)\\'"
                    (symbol-name v)))
              (and
               (get v 'custom-type) (get v 'standard-value)
               (not (equal (symbol-value v) (eval (car
                                    (get v 'standard-value)))))))
          (push v mylist))))
     mylist)
   (insert "")
   (insert "")
   )
  )

The error message seems to indicate that parameter 'varlist' is not populated
correctly.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-28 on thinkpad
Package: Org-mode version 6.32trans (release_6.32b.8.g089b)

current state:
==============
State could not be dumped due to the following error:

(wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)

You should still send this bug report.

* Re: Re: Separate function for config listing from org-submit-bug-report
@ 2009-10-28 17:44     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Kowalczyk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 28, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I don't know why you are being prompted for you IMAP password,
>> but regardless of this the email should not be send automatically.
>> So I think you can go through the process and then copy the text and
>> just not send the message!
>
> The email client is is wanderlust, and it must be trying to
> initialize a draft
> message on Google Mail when creating a send message buffer. You are
> correct, it
> did give the opportunity to cancel the message before sending. Thanks,
>
>> I cannot easily isolate this, because my code only produces the list
>> of interesting variables.  Some code in reporter.el does the quoting
>> and insertion.
>
> Do you have any ideas how to get the following function to work? It
> is intended
> to insert the configuration at point:

I believe there is some environment like reporter-status-count or
reporter-status-message that needs to be scoped in with let, maybe
other variables too...

- Carsten