* [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode & alternate org-mode-keymap
@ 2009-09-01 14:38 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-09-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi,

I've been using org, but it is starting to bug me that it relies so
heavily on control-c this and control-u control-c that. It is now also
the case that there is a bewildering array of key strokes to memorise.
You only need to look at the org-mode reference card to see that.

In my personal config i have the common things that i use re-mapped to
make it easier on me. For example org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c is mapped to
meta-o and org-remember is meta-r.

So this latest release with the agenda keymap change got me thinking
about the org keymapings, and I'd like to propose something a bit
different.

This is an idea that will work as a reference for beginners, a dynamic
built in org-mode reference card, and a pinkie finger saver.

Essentially it is this. There is a <magic-key> - meta-o or
ctrl-c-ctrl-c-ctrl-h or whatever. When you press this key it brings up
a menu like the remember mode and agenda mode front ends. This menu is
the top of a tree like structure that gives access to all of the
org-mode key-mappable things. Below is an example created from
headings in the org-mode reference card.

* Pressing <magic key> brings up a menu buffer with:
 [v]isibility cycling      [m]otion                      [s]tructure
editing
 ar[c]hiving               [f]iltering and sparse trees  [t]ables
 [l]inks                   [c]ompletion                  t[o]do items
and checkboxes
 ta[g]s                    t[i]mestamps                  [a]genda
 late[x] and cdlatex-mode  [e]xporting and publishing    [d]ynamic blocks
 [u]ser functions

* Pressing 'v' for [v]isibility, brings up the next menu:
===========================   Visibility Cycling
======================================
Menu option:                                                  org-keymap:
[r]otate current subtree between states             TAB
rotate [e]ntire buffer between states               S-TAB
restore [p]roperty-dependent startup visibility     C-u C-u TAB
show the [w]hole file, including drawers            C-u C-u C-u TAB
reveal [c]ontext around point                       C-c C-r

This creates an inbuilt help system and a pinkie saving mode. because
C-u C-u C-u TAB is also <magic key> v w

It should also be extendible enough for users to add their own
functions, and org-mode extensions to add any new keys.

Comments/Opinions?

Tim.

* Re: [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode & alternate org-mode-keymap
@ 2009-09-01 15:15 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using org, but it is starting to bug me that it relies so
> heavily on control-c this and control-u control-c that. It is now also
> the case that there is a bewildering array of key strokes to memorise.
> You only need to look at the org-mode reference card to see that.

An aside: Swapping caps-lock and control makes C-c a very convenient
key combination.

> So this latest release with the agenda keymap change got me thinking
> about the org keymapings, and I'd like to propose something a bit
> different.
>
> This is an idea that will work as a reference for beginners, a dynamic
> built in org-mode reference card, and a pinkie finger saver.
>
> Essentially it is this. There is a <magic-key> - meta-o or
> ctrl-c-ctrl-c-ctrl-h or whatever. When you press this key it brings up
> a menu like the remember mode and agenda mode front ends. This menu is
> the top of a tree like structure that gives access to all of the
> org-mode key-mappable things. Below is an example created from
> headings in the org-mode reference card.

You can already do something like this with tmm-menubar. You could bind
something like (tmm-menubar 50) to a key to get a browseable menu. Note:
the 50 should be replaced by the the "x-position" of the org menu in
your own menubar. Here's the result:

,----
| Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
| Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
| the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
| marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
| Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
| In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
|
| Possible completions are:
| s==>Show/Hide 	n==>New Heading
| N==>Navigate Headings 	e==>Edit Structure
| E==>Editing 	a==>Archive
| h==>Hyperlinks 	t==>TODO Lists
| T==>TAGS and Properties 	d==>Dates and Scheduling
| l==>Logging work 	A==>Agenda Command...
| S==>Set Restriction Lock 	f==>File List for Agenda
| v==>Special views current file 	p==>Export/Publish...
| L==>LaTeX 	D==>Documentation
| c==>Customize 	b==>Send bug report
| r==>Refresh/Reload
`----

Obviously, this would not aid in learning keyboard shortcuts.

> It should also be extendible enough for users to add their own
> functions, and org-mode extensions to add any new keys.

You might also want to checkout CategoryMenus on the Emacs Wiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMenus

OneKey, LaCarte, Icicles, etc. all look like they might be useful.

Best,
Matt

* Re: [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode & alternate org-mode-keymap
@ 2009-09-01 16:23   ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-09-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:

> An aside: Swapping caps-lock and control makes C-c a very convenient
> key combination.

If things come that one can also configure e.g. the right control
key as a special prefix key which makes such combinations even
more convenient, because unlike "C-c a" you can press "Rctrl a"
with two hands.

In case of right handed people the right control key is usually
unused, so it's practical to use it for something else than it's
original purpose.