From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Feature request/proposal] Pinkie finger saving/amateur mode & alternate org-mode-keymap
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:15:40 -0400	[thread overview]

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using org, but it is starting to bug me that it relies so
> heavily on control-c this and control-u control-c that. It is now also
> the case that there is a bewildering array of key strokes to memorise.
> You only need to look at the org-mode reference card to see that.

An aside: Swapping caps-lock and control makes C-c a very convenient
key combination.

> So this latest release with the agenda keymap change got me thinking
> about the org keymapings, and I'd like to propose something a bit
> different.
>
> This is an idea that will work as a reference for beginners, a dynamic
> built in org-mode reference card, and a pinkie finger saver.
>
> Essentially it is this. There is a <magic-key> - meta-o or
> ctrl-c-ctrl-c-ctrl-h or whatever. When you press this key it brings up
> a menu like the remember mode and agenda mode front ends. This menu is
> the top of a tree like structure that gives access to all of the
> org-mode key-mappable things. Below is an example created from
> headings in the org-mode reference card.

You can already do something like this with tmm-menubar. You could bind
something like (tmm-menubar 50) to a key to get a browseable menu. Note:
the 50 should be replaced by the the "x-position" of the org menu in
your own menubar. Here's the result:

,----
| Press PageUp key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.
| Alternatively, you can use Up/Down keys (or your History keys) to change
| the item in the minibuffer, and press RET when you are done, or press the
| marked letters to pick up your choice.  Type C-g or ESC ESC ESC to cancel.
| Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
| In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
|
| Possible completions are:
| s==>Show/Hide 	n==>New Heading
| N==>Navigate Headings 	e==>Edit Structure
| E==>Editing 	a==>Archive
| h==>Hyperlinks 	t==>TODO Lists
| T==>TAGS and Properties 	d==>Dates and Scheduling
| l==>Logging work 	A==>Agenda Command...
| S==>Set Restriction Lock 	f==>File List for Agenda
| v==>Special views current file 	p==>Export/Publish...
| L==>LaTeX 	D==>Documentation
| c==>Customize 	b==>Send bug report
| r==>Refresh/Reload
`----

Obviously, this would not aid in learning keyboard shortcuts.

> It should also be extendible enough for users to add their own
> functions, and org-mode extensions to add any new keys.

You might also want to checkout CategoryMenus on the Emacs Wiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMenus

OneKey, LaCarte, Icicles, etc. all look like they might be useful.

Best,
Matt