* defining LaTeX macros that work inline and at export
@ 2009-05-21 17:13 Gray Calhoun
From: Gray Calhoun @ 2009-05-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Everyone,

  I'd like to define LaTeX macros that display correctly when they're
embedded in an org file and are preserved when I export that file to LaTeX.
Right now,  I've added the LaTeX macros to org-format-latex-header, and
repeated the macros in a #+LATEX_HEADER: comment.  The two drawbacks of this
approach are that I'd prefer to have most of the macros be file-specific and
that I'd like to avoid duplicating these LaTeX commands.

Is there a better way to do this?  (I'm currently using org-mode version 6.25d
and GNU Emacs 22.2.1).

After reflecting on this a bit more, I thought of the following work around:
it seems like I should be able to define a separate text file that lists all
of the LaTeX macros and include it in both places with \input.  That's a little
ugly and only addresses the duplication issue, though.  Any suggestions would
be welcome!

Best,
Gray

* Re: defining LaTeX macros that work inline and at export
@ 2009-05-21 17:28 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-05-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Couldn't you use the {{{macro}}} expansion in the export header? I
believe you can make your own.

@ 2009-05-21 22:08   ` Gray Calhoun
From: Gray Calhoun @ 2009-05-21 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 05:13:41PM +0000, Gray Calhoun wrote:

> >   I'd like to define LaTeX macros that display correctly when they're
> > embedded in an org file and are preserved when I export that file to LaTeX.
> > Right now,  I've added the LaTeX macros to org-format-latex-header, and
> > repeated the macros in a #+LATEX_HEADER: comment.  The two drawbacks of
> > this approach are that I'd prefer to have most of the macros be
> > file-specific and that I'd like to avoid duplicating these LaTeX commands.
<- cut the rest ->

Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> Couldn't you use the {{{macro}}} expansion in the export header? I
> believe you can make your own.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm going to need to work with the LaTeX files themselves after writing
and editing the drafts in org mode, so I want the macros to stick
around after exporting the org file to LaTeX.  My understanding is
that the {{{macro}}} approach would expand the macros during that
export.

Best,
Gray

* Re: Re: defining LaTeX macros that work inline and at export
@ 2009-05-21 22:28     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-05-21 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gray,

Yes, exporting will convert those variables inline, however, you could
include an area to define them in your header. Then again, if thats
the case, you may just want to stick to adding them into #+LATEX_HEADER.