* Transpose or open functions for table cells
@ 2013-09-27 22:52 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any transpose functions for table cells;
something akin to transpose-lines, or transpose-words.  I am also
looking for something like org-open-line, but only for a table cell.
This is my use case:

| col 1 | col 2 |       | col 1 | col 2 |
|-------+-------+       +-------+-------|
|     1 | a     |       |     1 | a     |
|     2 | b     |  -->  |     2 | b     |
|     3 | d     |       |     3 |       |
|     4 | e     |       |     4 | d     |
|     5 |       |       |     5 | e     |

If neither exists, any thoughts how might one go about writing one?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Transpose or open functions for table cells
@ 2013-09-28  7:27 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-09-28  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Suvayu

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> |     2 | b     |  -->  |     2 | b     |
> |     3 | d     |       |     3 |       |
> |     4 | e     |       |     4 | d     |
> |     5 |       |       |     5 | e     |
>
> If neither exists, any thoughts how might one go about writing one?

Some time ago I wrote helper functions that do similar things for a
row:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#column-sequence-in-row
Now I added a suggestion for the same in a column:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#row-sequence-in-column

> I am also
> looking for something like org-open-line, but only for a table cell.

Are you looking for something different than the above?

Michael

* Re: Transpose or open functions for table cells
@ 2013-09-29 21:57   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-29 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Michael,

Sorry, I forgot to respond to your response.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:27:45AM +0200, Michael Brand wrote:
> Hi Suvayu
>
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > |     2 | b     |  -->  |     2 | b     |
> > |     3 | d     |       |     3 |       |
> > |     4 | e     |       |     4 | d     |
> > |     5 |       |       |     5 | e     |
> >
> > If neither exists, any thoughts how might one go about writing one?
>
> Some time ago I wrote helper functions that do similar things for a
> row:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#column-sequence-in-row
> Now I added a suggestion for the same in a column:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#row-sequence-in-column

These look like the transpose functions I was looking for.

> > I am also
> > looking for something like org-open-line, but only for a table cell.
>
> Are you looking for something different than the above?

Yes, the above allows easy rearrangement of table cells.  I'm looking
for something that allows me to insert cells in a row or column.  In my
example from the earlier email, I insert a cell in a column.

Thanks,

:)

--

@ 2013-09-30 18:30     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-09-30 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Suvayu

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the above allows easy rearrangement of table cells.  I'm looking
> for something that allows me to insert cells in a row or column.  In my
> example from the earlier email, I insert a cell in a column.

As soon as I remembered that there are org-table-cut-region and
org-table-paste-rectangle I could not resist the mental exercise for
fun to implement f-org-table-open-field-in-row-grow and
f-org-table-open-field-in-column-grow. The latter gets you from

| a |  b | c |
|---+----+---|
| d |  9 | e |
| f | 10 | g |
|---+----+---|
| h | 11 | i |

| a |  b | c |
|---+----+---|
| d |    | e |
| f |  9 | g |
|---+----+---|
| h | 10 | i |
|   | 11 |   |

Please read again the rearranged
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#field-same-row-or-column

Michael

* Re: Transpose or open functions for table cells
@ 2013-10-01  6:30       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-10-01  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 30.09.2013 20:30, schrieb Michael Brand:
> As soon as I remembered that there are org-table-cut-region and
> org-table-paste-rectangle I could not resist the mental exercise for
> fun to implement f-org-table-open-field-in-row-grow and
> f-org-table-open-field-in-column-grow. The latter gets you from
>
> | a |  b | c |
> |---+----+---|
> | d |  9 | e |
> | f | 10 | g |
> |---+----+---|
> | h | 11 | i |

> | a |  b | c |
> |---+----+---|
> | d |    | e |
> | f |  9 | g |
> |---+----+---|
> | h | 10 | i |
> |   | 11 |   |

Arguably the expected outcome might be

| a |  b | c |
|---+----+---|
| d |    | e |
| f |  9 | g |
|   | 10 |   |
|---+----+---|
| h | 11 | i |

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Transpose or open functions for table cells
@ 2013-10-04 18:52       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-10-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 08:30:57PM +0200, Michael Brand wrote:
> Hi Suvayu
>
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, the above allows easy rearrangement of table cells.  I'm looking
> > for something that allows me to insert cells in a row or column.  In my
> > example from the earlier email, I insert a cell in a column.
>
> As soon as I remembered that there are org-table-cut-region and
> org-table-paste-rectangle I could not resist the mental exercise for
> fun to implement f-org-table-open-field-in-row-grow and
> f-org-table-open-field-in-column-grow. The latter gets you from
>
> | a |  b | c |
> |---+----+---|
> | d |  9 | e |
> | f | 10 | g |