* working on cloud
@ 2014-01-08 18:59 Renato
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Renato @ 2014-01-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I'm learning emacs (as you probabily know :-)).
I have:
- one pc at home (linux Debian)
- one at work (windows)

I would like to use the same configuration.
Now, I have my .org file on the cloud (so I can access it from anywhere)
But I'm  starting to edit also the config file:
on Win it is:
init.el

on linux is
emacs

so...How can I have a centralized instalation of emacs? Or, better: Is
it possible?

TIA

Renato

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-08 19:28 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-08 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm learning emacs (as you probabily know :-)).
> I have:
> - one pc at home (linux Debian)
> - one at work (windows)
>
> I would like to use the same configuration.
> Now, I have my .org file on the cloud (so I can access it from anywhere)
> But I'm  starting to edit also the config file:
> on Win it is:
> init.el
>
> on linux is
> emacs

on linux, the init file should be named ".emacs" (note the dot in front)
and it should reside in your home directory.

> so...How can I have a centralized instalation of emacs? Or, better: Is
> it possible?

One possibility is to call it "init.el"  on linux as well, but create
a ".emacs" symbolic link to it:

  ln -s init.el .emacs

There are many other ways, but the symlink is probably the simplest.

Nick

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-08 19:32   ` Sam Flint
From: Sam Flint @ 2014-01-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Org-Mode

.emacs.d/init.el works just as well.

--
Sam Flint
swflint@flintfam.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 229 bytes --]

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-08 21:28 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-01-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le mer. 08 janv. 2014 à 07:59:50 , Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> a
envoyé ce message:
> Hi,
> I'm learning emacs (as you probabily know :-)).
> I have:
> - one pc at home (linux Debian)
> - one at work (windows)
>
> I would like to use the same configuration.
> Now, I have my .org file on the cloud (so I can access it from anywhere)
> But I'm  starting to edit also the config file:
> on Win it is:
> init.el
>
> on linux is
> emacs
>
> so...How can I have a centralized instalation of emacs? Or, better: Is
> it possible?
>
> TIA
>
> Renato

Hi,

Yes it is possible. It seems to me that now the best with emacs24 is
to adopt the same configuration file  with an init.el with the following
path:

/home/your_home/.emacs.d/init.el

the  folder .emacs.d/  is automatically  created when  you start  for the
first time your emacs in your Debian.

I do  not know how things  works in Windows,  because I do not  use this
O.S.

Windows users in this list - it  they are ;) - will probably complete my
reply.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-08 23:35   ` John Kitchin
       [not found]     ` <CAF83ECCdCt8NZK-h5O1t8_M5PytxcvJf71R6csqaBHYLCwM5=A@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-01-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Renato

I keep my .emacs.d in a Dropbox folder. I start emacs with an alias like
this:
"C:\Users\jkitchin\Documents\v3 - My Box
Files\06-625\emacs-24.3\bin\runemacs.exe" -q -l
"C:\Users\jkitchin\Dropbox\.emacs.d\init.el"

I run prelude inside that .emacs.d

this lets me run the same setup on three windows machines, and one linux
machine. Dropbox does a pretty good job of keeping it synced.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Joseph Vidal-Rosset <
joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le mer. 08 janv. 2014 à 07:59:50 , Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> a
> envoyé ce message:
> > Hi,
> > I'm learning emacs (as you probabily know :-)).
> > I have:
> > - one pc at home (linux Debian)
> > - one at work (windows)
> >
> > I would like to use the same configuration.
> > Now, I have my .org file on the cloud (so I can access it from anywhere)
> > But I'm  starting to edit also the config file:
> > on Win it is:
> > init.el
> >
> > on linux is
> > emacs
> >
> > so...How can I have a centralized instalation of emacs? Or, better: Is
> > it possible?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Renato
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes it is possible. It seems to me that now the best with emacs24 is
> to adopt the same configuration file  with an init.el with the following
> path:
>
> /home/your_home/.emacs.d/init.el
>
> the  folder .emacs.d/  is automatically  created when  you start  for the
> first time your emacs in your Debian.
>
> I do  not know how things  works in Windows,  because I do not  use this
> O.S.
>
> Windows users in this list - it  they are ;) - will probably complete my
> reply.
>
> I hope it helps.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jo.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-09  7:19 ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-01-09  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Renato <renato.pontefice-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm learning emacs (as you probabily know :-)).
> I have:
> - one pc at home (linux Debian)
> - one at work (windows)
>
> I would like to use the same configuration.
> Now, I have my .org file on the cloud (so I can access it from anywhere)
> But I'm  starting to edit also the config file:
> on Win it is:
> init.el
>
> on linux is
> emacs

I have a file myinit.el in a dropbox folder. On each machine the local
init file loads that file. It might also have some machine specific
initialisation. myinit.el also has some parts that are conditionally
executed according to operating system.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-09  8:00   ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-09  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin, emacs-orgmode

I use for all emacs files git with server repository. Then on each
computer I'm using emacs with, I just clone that repository. The
positive side-effect of this is, that when you need to modify sources
for a particular computer, you just create new local branch. Then all
'common' init file tweaks can be done in master branch and it is very
easy to merge them into local one if needed....

.d.

@ 2014-01-09  8:14     ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-01-09  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

David Belohrad <david-rZamiVn3bvgfv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I use for all emacs files git with server repository. Then on each
> computer I'm using emacs with, I just clone that repository. The
> positive side-effect of this is, that when you need to modify sources
> for a particular computer, you just create new local branch. Then all
> 'common' init file tweaks can be done in master branch and it is very
> easy to merge them into local one if needed....

Yes, I have done that sort of thing in the past, but I find the need to
check stuff in and push/pull and merge unnecessary overheads for this
kind of thing. Just leaving the file on Dropbox (or whatever) means that
things are synced automagically when edited which, nearly all the time,
is what I want. Dropbox keeps a limited revision history for the free
version (which I use) or you can pay and get an unlimited revision
history. Of course that's not as useful as using git in terms of merging
and so on, but it does provide some protection against erroneous
changes.

For added fun keep the git (or whatever) repository on a Dropbox folder
- this means that you get the automatic updating for things in progress,
but you can also use the proper version control features too.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-09  8:36       ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-01-09  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin, emacs-orgmode

I was using before Dropbox for all sort of syncing, especially my org
mode files, which change quite often. Dropbox is generally very fine (as
well e.g. for sharing screenshots between windows and linux
machines). At certain moment I started to have two issues with this:

1) privacy: you're basically giving your data to somebody else. In case
   of emacs init there is no danger. In case of your org data, which
   might contain sensitive information you want to encrypt it, what
   complicates matter when switching between two win/lin machines
2) deadlocks on files. When working in agenda, quite often happened to
   me, that files started to exist in multiple versions. When I took my
   laptop somewhere without wifi signal and edited files, dropbox
   created local copy of this. When in between I have changed that file
   on some other computer with wifi, this file was correctly synced with
   dropbox. At the time, when my laptop appeared again on wifi, it tried
   to sync the file, but as it was in-between edited, it resulted quite
   often in having two files containing almost the same things, which i
   had to manually merge. what a pain. this was the main reason I went
   away from dropbox.

   Unfortunately there is no easy solution for this. I tried to use AFS
   as well, with the same results. The only 'reasonable' way I found for
   this was to use local git copies and do merging, which most of the
   time passes completely automatically without a need for intervention
   (as far as you don't use mobileorg, which adds unique IDs for items
   --> this must be disabled for proper git functionality)

As I said, imho Dropbox is fine for emacs init files (not containing
passwords :). For general stuff it seems to me less obvious.

@ 2014-01-09  8:48         ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2014-01-09  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/01/14 08:36, David Belohrad wrote:
> I was using before Dropbox for all sort of syncing, especially my org
> mode files, which change quite often. Dropbox is generally very fine (as
> well e.g. for sharing screenshots between windows and linux
> machines). At certain moment I started to have two issues with this:

I have had problems with Dropbox generating "Conflicting files". I think
this is because some of my computers are only intermittently connected
to Dropbox. Sorting this out can be very time consuming, especially if
it happens inside a .git directory.

I have now gone down the git route for emacs init files and all my .org
files. I keep a separate branch for each computer and do a git pull and
git merge when I move to a different computer. This does have some
disadvantages - you need to remember to commit and push your changes on
each computer. However, sorting out mistakes is generally much easier.

Regarding your .emacs you can use elisp to distinguish various bits of
your configuration on an OS and computer name basis. Have a look at
http://sigquit.wordpress.com/2008/09/28/single-dot-emacs-file/ for a
good guide.

Ian.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-09 15:03           ` Ted Wiles
From: Ted Wiles @ 2014-01-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I used to use dropbox, but then I just went all-in, got some server
space from linode, and now I just SSH into a running emacs daemon. The
really cool thing is that I can also SSH in with my Droid 3 phone
(physical keyboard droids are the only ones I've found with the
requisite ctrl and meta keys).

Now, I never have to worry about versioning or maintaining multiple
.emacs, and org-mode is available wherever there is cell service
(grocery store, bus, etc.).

@ 2014-01-09 15:28         ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2014-01-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:

> 1) privacy: you're basically giving your data to somebody else. In case
>    of emacs init there is no danger. In case of your org data, which
>    might contain sensitive information you want to encrypt it, what
>    complicates matter when switching between two win/lin machines

An alternative to consider is btsync.  It will provide you similar
functionality as Dropbox but removes reliance on a central server which
is outside your control.  All storage endpoints are peers.  Peers are
authorized by a shared key so only your machines, or maybe your friends
get access - it's not an anonymous p2p system despite the "bt" in its
name.  You can also allow read-only access.  Even with no "well known"
server involved I've yet to find a case where peers can not be located
behind firewalls or NAT'ed routers.

Of course, btsync brings it's own issues.  The main one for me is that
it's not Free Software (it is a free-of-charge binary) but then the
server side of Dropbox is even more restricted.  I guess let your own
conscience be the guide here.

Personally, I go the git/github route for .emacs files and a private git
repo for org files.  I would like to not have the (explicit)
commit/push/pull steps for org files and so have been testing btsync.
Ideally there would be some way to marry the benefits of both, but I've
yet to come up with one.

-Brett.

* Re: working on cloud
       [not found]     ` <CAF83ECCdCt8NZK-h5O1t8_M5PytxcvJf71R6csqaBHYLCwM5=A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-01-11 15:38       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-01-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Yes, I run emacs differently on different machines. On the windows machine
I am on now, I have a shortcut that runs
C:\Users\jkitchin\Dropbox\software\emacs-24.3\bin\runemacs.exe -l
~/Dropbox/.emacs.d/init.el

On my unix machine, I do it a bit differently. There is a line in my
~/.emacs.d/init.el file that reads:

(load-file "~/Dropbox/.emacs.d/init.el")

but, I could just use an alias for that ran
emacs -l ~/Dropbox/.emacs.d/init.el

Everything else gets configured through the .emacs.d in my Dropbox folder.

FWIW, I too have occasionally had problems with conflicting files on
Dropbox, and I usually use kdiff3 to resolve them. It has a gui that works
well for me on windows and unix. I don't have this problem very often
though.

John

-----------------------------------

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:17 AM, Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi John,
> can you explain me better what do you do? I'm pretty new to emacs.
> I see that:
> - on win, I have c:\emacs\.emacs.d\ini.el
> - on linux It's name is  emacs
>
> What you do is to run emacs in a diiferet way from Win and Linx (with
> different link)?
>
> TIA
>
> Renato
>

> 2014/1/9 John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>> I keep my .emacs.d in a Dropbox folder. I start emacs with an alias like
>> this:
>> "C:\Users\jkitchin\Documents\v3 - My Box
>> Files\06-625\emacs-24.3\bin\runemacs.exe" -q -l
>> "C:\Users\jkitchin\Dropbox\.emacs.d\init.el"
>>
>> I run prelude inside that .emacs.d
>>
>> this lets me run the same setup on three windows machines, and one linux
>> machine. Dropbox does a pretty good job of keeping it synced.
>>

>> John
>>
>> -----------------------------------
>> John Kitchin
>> Associate Professor
>> Doherty Hall A207F
>> Department of Chemical Engineering
>> Carnegie Mellon University
>> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
>> 412-268-7803
>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Joseph Vidal-Rosset <
>> joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Le mer. 08 janv. 2014 à 07:59:50 , Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> a
>>> envoyé ce message:

>>> anywhere)

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes it is possible. It seems to me that now the best with emacs24 is
>>> to adopt the same configuration file  with an init.el with the following
>>> path:
>>>
>>> /home/your_home/.emacs.d/init.el
>>>
>>> the  folder .emacs.d/  is automatically  created when  you start  for the
>>> first time your emacs in your Debian.
>>>
>>> I do  not know how things  works in Windows,  because I do not  use this
>>> O.S.
>>>
>>> Windows users in this list - it  they are ;) - will probably complete my
>>> reply.
>>>
>>> I hope it helps.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Jo.

* working on cloud
@ 2014-01-13 11:52 Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2014-01-13 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>I use for all emacs files git with server repository. Then on each
>computer I'm using emacs with, I just clone that repository. The
>positive side-effect of this is, that when you need to modify sources
>for a particular computer, you just create new local branch. Then all
>'common' init file tweaks can be done in master branch and it is very
>easy to merge them into local one if needed....

>.d.

Hi,
I think this is (for me) the best way.
But, I'm not skilled to GIT

I'm wondering:
In Linux (but in win too) the file must have a particular name (.emacs on
linux; init.el on windows)
and reside on a particular folder.

How do you obtain that?

Thank you

Renato

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-13 11:54 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-13 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice; +Cc: david, emacs-orgmode

Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> How do you obtain that?

C-h v user-init-file RET
C-h v user-emacs-directory RET

--
 Bastien

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-14  7:20 ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-01-14  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm wondering:
> In Linux (but in win too) the file must have a particular name (.emacs on
> linux; init.el on windows)
> and reside on a particular folder.

You could get the standard init file to just load another file. Or you
can specify the init file at invocation.

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-14 11:45   ` Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2014-01-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: david, emacs-orgmode

Ok! Can I set this variable? Or Do I have to run emacs with -u ?

TIA

Renato

2014/1/13 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>

> Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > How do you obtain that?
>
> C-h v user-init-file RET
> C-h v user-emacs-directory RET
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-14 12:24     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok! Can I set this variable? Or Do I have to run emacs with -u ?
>
> TIA
>
> Renato
>
> 2014/1/13 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
>
>     Renato Pontefice <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > How do you obtain that?
>
>     C-h v user-init-file RET
>     C-h v user-emacs-directory RET
>
>     --
>      Bastien

It seems to me that you have enough problems with basic emacs questions
that you would be better off either a) finding a local emacs guru who
could help you (it is much less frustrating to be able to ask a question
and get an immediate answer rather than waiting for days) or b) asking
your questions on the emacs IRC channel (somebody else will have to
provide a reference to that though - I don't know what it is off the top
of my head.)

If neither of these is possible, then the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup is
probably a better bet than the orgmode group.

I'm not trying to discourage you from asking questions, just trying to
suggest more efficient ways to get answers.

--
Nick

* Re: working on cloud
@ 2014-01-14 12:58       ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-01-14 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-01-14 13:24 Nick Dokos wrote:

> b) asking your questions on the emacs IRC channel (somebody else will
> have to provide a reference to that though - I don't know what it is
> off the top of my head.)

#emacs on freenode.

HTH,
--