* Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-08-17 20:34 Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2010-08-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have happily been using org-mode for many years to keep a todo list. I
like keeping a log of the actions I've completed, but I don't like them
in the same file taking up space. Previously I have moved completed TODO
items and checkboxes to another log file manually. Is there a good way
of doing this automatically? Do you have any other suggestions for how
to keep a log of done tasks while removing the cruft left over from the
current list?

Michael Hoffman

* Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-08-17 20:46 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-08-17 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:34:32 -0700, Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I have happily been using org-mode for many years to keep a todo
> list. I like keeping a log of the actions I've completed, but I don't
> like them in the same file taking up space. Previously I have moved
> completed TODO items and checkboxes to another log file manually. Is
> there a good way of doing this automatically? Do you have any other
> suggestions for how to keep a log of done tasks while removing the
> cruft left over from the current list?
>
> Michael Hoffman

Check out the Archiving section in the org info manual.  It does
exactly what you want.

MC .  -.. --- -  ..-. .-. .- --. .-  .- -  ..- -.-. .-..  .- -.-.  ..- -.-
NL Professor Eric S Fraga, UCL, http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/
PG Fingerprint: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D
BF >++++++++++[>++++++++++>+++++++++++[<]>-]>++.>++++.<-----.++++++.------.

* Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-08-19 21:41   ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2010-08-19 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:34:32 -0700, Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>> I have happily been using org-mode for many years to keep a todo
>> list. I like keeping a log of the actions I've completed, but I don't
>> like them in the same file taking up space. Previously I have moved
>> completed TODO items and checkboxes to another log file manually. Is
>> there a good way of doing this automatically? Do you have any other
>> suggestions for how to keep a log of done tasks while removing the
>> cruft left over from the current list?
>>
> Check out the Archiving section in the org info manual.  It does
> exactly what you want.

Thanks, this is very useful. Although it doesn't work with checkboxes as
individual items to option. Can it be made to work with checkboxes, or
is there an easy way to convert checkboxes to TODO items?

I've tried

C-u C-c C-c
C-x C-x
C-c *

and then using search/replace to add "TODO "

but that unfortunately eliminates any previous hierarchy in the
checkboxes. Is there a better way?

Michael Hoffman

* Re: Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-03  0:31     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-03  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> and then using search/replace to add "TODO "

How did you searched and replaced?

> but that unfortunately eliminates any previous hierarchy in the
> checkboxes. Is there a better way?

I guess we can keep the hierarchy with an appropriate search and replace
function...

--
 Bastien

* Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-03 21:17       ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2010-09-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> and then using search/replace to add "TODO "
>
> How did you searched and replaced?

Well, the commands:

C-u C-c C-c
C-x C-x
C-c *

convert the checkboxes to headings but eliminate the hierarchy.

I've also tried regex-searching for something like "^   - \[ \]" -> "***
TODO" but it's not foolproof since the number of leading spaces doesn't
always have something to do with the level of the previous header.

> I guess we can keep the hierarchy with an appropriate search and replace
> function...

Well, I'm gradually just fixing these things as I go through now.

* Re: Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-05 18:44         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Well, the commands:
>
> C-u C-c C-c
> C-x C-x
> C-c *
>
> convert the checkboxes to headings but eliminate the hierarchy.
>
> I've also tried regex-searching for something like "^   - \[ \]" -> "***
> TODO" but it's not foolproof since the number of leading spaces doesn't
> always have something to do with the level of the previous header.

I see -- I'm not familiar enough with the new list implementation to
look into this now...

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-05 19:47         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-09-05 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> I've also tried regex-searching for something like "^ - \[ \]" ->
> "*** TODO" but it's not foolproof since the number of leading spaces
> doesn't always have something to do with the level of the previous
> header.

It looks like you're looking for `org-list-make-subtree' (C-c C-*) and
then replacing [CBON] with DONE and [CBOFF] with TODO.

If it's something else, could you explain it with an example?

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-07 18:58           ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2010-09-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I've also tried regex-searching for something like "^ - \[ \]" ->
>> "*** TODO" but it's not foolproof since the number of leading spaces
>> doesn't always have something to do with the level of the previous
>> header.
>
> It looks like you're looking for `org-list-make-subtree' (C-c C-*) and
> then replacing [CBON] with DONE and [CBOFF] with TODO.
>
> If it's something else, could you explain it with an example?

Try this:

** TODO x
   - [ ] x1
   - [ ] x2
     - [ ] x2.1

Set the region to the checkbox lines, then do C-c C-*. The result is:

** TODO x
*** [ ] x1
*** [ ] x2
*** [ ] x2.1

If you set a macro to do each line individually and move down, you
instead get:

** TODO x
*** [ ] x1
**** [ ] x2
***** [ ] x2.1

I would regard the correct conversion to be:

** TODO x
*** [ ] x1
*** [ ] x2
**** [ ] x2.1

I'm using Emacs 23.1.3 and org-mode 6.21b.

* Re: Automatically move completed TODO items and checkboxes to another file
@ 2010-09-07 19:42             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-07 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Hoffman <9qobl2n02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> ** TODO x

That works correctly in 7.01h and later if the last item is at level
three agaiun, but fails if the last one is at level four.  Fascinating.

Achim.