* org-mode to iphone?
       [not found] <E1LEoDW-0007Pp-CL@box188.bluehost.com>
@ 2008-12-22 21:58 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-12-22 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Question --- would it be possible to attach a unique identifier to
org-mode tasks and appointments (perhaps as a property value), and use
that as a basis for syncing with external applications?

BTW, if you're thinking of syncing with the Mac, think hard about
timezones.  I have been in a world of hurt trying to sync my Palm and
iCal because of their disagreements about time zones....

cheers,

* Re: org-mode to iphone?
@ 2008-12-22 22:10   ` Christopher DeMarco
From: Christopher DeMarco @ 2008-12-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As a more-useful alternative to my ha-ha-only-serious "email"
response, look at the export-to-HTML functions.  I haven't gotten here
yet with org-mode, but I understand they're pretty powerful -- and
HTML is perfect for the iPhone.  A robust HTML interface to your
org-mode would be much more useful than a native iPhone app, IMHO, and
without the landmines of interfacing with iCal et.al.

My previous organization system (Python-based) had a simple CGI
interface to parse my sources into HTML with CSS for the iPhone; it
worked surprisingly well, including hyperlinks that sent me email
noting that I'd "checked off" an item -- I didn't trust myself to
actually change state from the iPhone, but sent a "check off the item
manually" reminder.

Once I've got my Emacs-native org-mode where I want it, I plan on
tackling the iPhone display and sharing my code with the list.  It
should be pretty easy to write a mod_python handler to pull org-mode
source from Git or Subversion and run that through the elisp
interpreter...

But seriously, you could totally expose your agenda view as an IMAP
store...

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
IT Director

* Re: org-mode to iphone?
@ 2009-01-22  8:06     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher DeMarco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

I am extremely interested in what you write here about using HTML
to look at the agenda, sending automatic emails for completed
tasks, and even the IMAP store idea.

So please get back to it when you find time and keep us
posted.  I could tweak the HTML exporter where necessary
to make a good mobile access idea for Org-mode stuff
a reality.

- Carsten

On Dec 22, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> As a more-useful alternative to my ha-ha-only-serious "email"
> response, look at the export-to-HTML functions.  I haven't gotten here
> yet with org-mode, but I understand they're pretty powerful -- and
> HTML is perfect for the iPhone.  A robust HTML interface to your
> org-mode would be much more useful than a native iPhone app, IMHO, and
> without the landmines of interfacing with iCal et.al.
>
> My previous organization system (Python-based) had a simple CGI
> interface to parse my sources into HTML with CSS for the iPhone; it
> worked surprisingly well, including hyperlinks that sent me email
> noting that I'd "checked off" an item -- I didn't trust myself to
> actually change state from the iPhone, but sent a "check off the item
> manually" reminder.
>
> Once I've got my Emacs-native org-mode where I want it, I plan on
> tackling the iPhone display and sharing my code with the list.  It
> should be pretty easy to write a mod_python handler to pull org-mode
> source from Git or Subversion and run that through the elisp
> interpreter...
>
> But seriously, you could totally expose your agenda view as an IMAP
> store...
>

> --
> Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
> IT Director
> MAYA Group
> +1-412-708-9660

* Re: org-mode to iphone?
@ 2009-01-22 16:05       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-01-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

CD> So please get back to it when you find time and keep us
CD> posted.  I could tweak the HTML exporter where necessary
CD> to make a good mobile access idea for Org-mode stuff
CD> a reality.

I've been meaning to write this up for a while, and I think this sort of
idea is exactly what could benefit from it...

I think there should be a generic exporter that contains simple
customization rules for how to do an export.  Something like:

 (setq org-export-templates
   '(("mediawiki"
      :heading1-prefix "= "
      :heading1-suffix " ="
      :heading2-prefix "== "
      :heading2-suffix " =="

      :bold-prefix     "'''"
      :bold-suffix     "'''"

      :link-format     "[%{url} %{link-text}]"

      :numbered-list-prefix "#"
      :numbered-list-suffix "\n"
    )))

I'm making stuff up on the fly above, but I think you get the idea.
Most of the exporting formats that are needed could really be simplified
down to something minimal like the above.  It'd be much easier than
continually rewriting much of the export process when a lot of it is the
same across multiple back-ends.

I'm not sure it could be applied everywhere.  Certainly there are some
very tricky elements to deal with (and the default, if not defined,
should be to fall back to a straight text conversion).  IE, I'm not sure
the latex backend could be easily rewritten using something like the
above (but hey, you never know).

There are a number of things I'd like to export to something "unusual",
and the above would allow that flexibility.  Unfortunately, I don't have
much time, and more importantly don't have the org skill at all to make
it happen.

Thoughts?

* Re: org-mode to iphone?
@ 2009-01-22 16:57       ` David Thole
From: David Thole @ 2009-01-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've been tempted to create a frontend web site devoted toward very simple
operations in regard to using org-mode - something say in Django or
something, and using sync scripts to the org files.The idea I was thinking
is just a simple CRUD operation with that file (either that or use a sql
database such as sqllite and use a cron job that "syncs" these together).  I
wouldn't mind still completing that if people are interested in such a
tool.  Since I have just an ipod touch, I've been reluctant to build it
since I don't have access 100% of the time to the app.

-David

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> I am extremely interested in what you write here about using HTML
> to look at the agenda, sending automatic emails for completed
> tasks, and even the IMAP store idea.
>
> So please get back to it when you find time and keep us
> posted.  I could tweak the HTML exporter where necessary
> to make a good mobile access idea for Org-mode stuff
> a reality.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Dec 22, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Christopher DeMarco wrote:
>
>  As a more-useful alternative to my ha-ha-only-serious "email"
>> response, look at the export-to-HTML functions.  I haven't gotten here
>> yet with org-mode, but I understand they're pretty powerful -- and
>> HTML is perfect for the iPhone.  A robust HTML interface to your
>> org-mode would be much more useful than a native iPhone app, IMHO, and
>> without the landmines of interfacing with iCal et.al.
>>
>> My previous organization system (Python-based) had a simple CGI
>> interface to parse my sources into HTML with CSS for the iPhone; it
>> worked surprisingly well, including hyperlinks that sent me email
>> noting that I'd "checked off" an item -- I didn't trust myself to
>> actually change state from the iPhone, but sent a "check off the item
>> manually" reminder.
>>
>> Once I've got my Emacs-native org-mode where I want it, I plan on
>> tackling the iPhone display and sharing my code with the list.  It
>> should be pretty easy to write a mod_python handler to pull org-mode
>> source from Git or Subversion and run that through the elisp
>> interpreter...
>>
>> But seriously, you could totally expose your agenda view as an IMAP
>> store...
>>

>> --
>> Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
>> IT Director
>> MAYA Group
>> +1-412-708-9660

* Re: org-mode to iphone?
@ 2009-01-22 23:09         ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-01-22 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The idea of a generic exporter sounds very cool. Especially if it
could still make use of the very refined set of options org mode has
to include and prune subtrees, to include or exclude keywords,
timestamps, and tags.  I wonder if it could be made also to work with
something like the Pandoc extensions to Markdown
[http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/], which would then allow further
export into the range of formats Pandoc supports (markdown,
reStructuredText, HTML, ConTeXt, RTF, DocBook XML, OpenDocument XML,
ODT, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, groff man pages, and S5 HTML slide
shows).  Of course, such flexibility probably doesn't come without
it's struggles, but the ability to throw an org document in and get
and ODF would have significant benefit.

I'll have to think about how far a generic substitution-based exporter
could get at such a conversion....

Scot