* Re: Xiki framework (wiki and tree emacs features)
       [not found]   ` <e0a9243f1002051248kd704f1axc9770e3db21aa8b@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-02-06  1:26     ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-02-06  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Muth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel

Craig Muth <craig.muth@gmail.com> writes:

> Here's an example of a xiki tree you might build up when working in some
> elisp files.  Could be useful for communicating about code on mailing lists
> like this one.  Forgive me if org mode (or something else) already does
> this.  If so please enlighten me - I'd be interested in checking it
> out.

It's hard for me to see exactly what is going on, but it doesn't look
like anything that OrgMode isn't already doing or could be made to do
with a SMOP.

Look at Emacs Starter Kit
(http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/) for an example of how
you can mix OrgMode markup and Emacs Lisp, for example.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

The only alternative to Tradition is bad tradition.
                          — Jaraslov Pelikan

* Re: Xiki framework (wiki and tree emacs features)
@ 2010-02-06  1:45       ` Craig Muth
From: Craig Muth @ 2010-02-06  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Hershberger, emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode

> it doesn't look like anything that OrgMode isn't already
> doing or could be made to do with a SMOP

Hmm, really?  Did you watch both screencasts?

  http://xiki.org/screencasts/web_development.html
  http://xiki.org/screencasts/wiki_syntax.html

Please point me to the part of OrgMode with features for navigating and
searching the filesystem in a tree structure.  I'm interested in checking it
out and comparing it to xiki.

> an example of how you can mix OrgMode markup and Emacs Lisp

It sounds like you might be thinking that the lisp in that my tree was to be
executed.  That's not the case, it's for navigation (you use the tree to
jump to those lines in the files).

--Craig

@ 2010-02-06 22:55         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-02-06 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Muth; +Cc: mah, emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel

    Please point me to the part of OrgMode with features for
    navigating and searching the filesystem in a tree structure.  I'm
    interested in checking i= t out and comparing it to xiki.

The question that suggests itself to me
is whether there is a way to separate out the various ideas,
implemented by xiki and by Org mode, into modular features.

* Re: Xiki framework (wiki and tree emacs features)
@ 2010-02-07 11:33           ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-02-07 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: mah, Craig Muth, emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Please point me to the part of OrgMode with features for
>     navigating and searching the filesystem in a tree structure.  I'm
>     interested in checking i= t out and comparing it to xiki.
>
> The question that suggests itself to me
> is whether there is a way to separate out the various ideas,
> implemented by xiki and by Org mode, into modular features.

Just to tell my grandchildren that once i was in the same thread as rms
:), these two tools are awesome and i am using both, and would take
advantage of a more modular design for easy integration instead of each
one working in its own pet.

cheers,
glauber.

* Re: Xiki framework (wiki and tree emacs features)
@ 2010-02-07 15:55             ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-02-07 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Alex Dias Prado; +Cc: mah, Craig Muth, emacs-orgmode, rms, emacs-devel

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     Please point me to the part of OrgMode with features for
>>     navigating and searching the filesystem in a tree structure.  I'm
>>     interested in checking i= t out and comparing it to xiki.
>>
>> The question that suggests itself to me
>> is whether there is a way to separate out the various ideas,
>> implemented by xiki and by Org mode, into modular features.
>
> Just to tell my grandchildren that once i was in the same thread as rms
> :), these two tools are awesome and i am using both, and would take
> advantage of a more modular design for easy integration instead of each
> one working in its own pet.

Just a data-point, but I've been using planner-mode for years, which
resembles Org-mode, and also seemingly Xiki, which I havent tried yet.

Planner uses Muse as its underlying wiki mode, and Muse is included in
Emacs.

As a user, I would also favor modularisation and re-use between these
modes.

--
Joakim Verona