* possible bug with headline visibility cycling and whitespace
@ 2007-08-15 16:45 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2007-08-15 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm still new enough to org-mode that the problem might be with my
understanding, rather than the code. But, I have a situation where
org-mode doesn't behave as I expect.

To reproduce my problem, create the following org-mode file:

<Start of file>

* Heading Level One

** Heading Level Two

*** TODO Try to unfold this tree

* Heading Level One again

<End of File>

Everything between the start and end of file marks is needed,
including the whitespace included on the lines after the 2nd- and
3rd-level headings. (Note that this is more than just the newline
characters; there are space characters on those lines as well.) Do not
include the start and end of file marks.

Now, visit this org-mode file; it displays a blank line, the first
three headings (with ellipsis), a blank line, and the final heading,
as expected. Put the cursor on the first line, and <TAB> cycle so that
only the two top-level headings are displayed. So far, so good.

Now, put the cursor on the first top-level heading. Attempt to <TAB>
cycle. Observe that nothing happens. What was expected was cycling
through the various displays of the subtree. <TAB> cycling on the top
of the file still works as expected, as do S-<TAB> and C-u <TAB>.

Edit the file so as to remove all whitespace other than newlines from
the various headlines that have them. Now, <TAB> cycling works as
expected.

So, it appears that headlines followed only by whitespace where that
whitespace includes more than newlines breaks <TAB> cycling. This
feels like a bug to me, but again, it might be that I misunderstand
how org-mode is intended to work.

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 on ubuntu 7.04 and have org-mode 5.04
(the same behaviour was manifest in 5.03). I have a number of org-mode
tweaks in my .emacs, but nothing that I can recognize as related.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

* agenda view "r" efreshing: how to stick with custom settings
@ 2007-08-15 21:56 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-08-15 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to stick with the settings I configured in my agenda custom
views like for example these ones:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 0)))
	("2" agenda "X-Agenda 2 days deadline preview"
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 2)))
	("3" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 3)))
	("7" agenda "X-Agenda 7 days deadline preview"
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 7))
	 nil
	 ("~/org/agenda7.html"))
	("8" agenda "X-Agenda 14 days deadline preview"
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 14))
	 nil
	 ("~/org/agenda14.html"))
	))

Entering agenda view with "C-a d" will show no future deadlines or
schedules. Now when switching to the org-file for an item with "TAB",
editing it, I want to go back to the e+agenda view with "C-x o", press
"r" and see my changes but not all the future deadlines/schedules.

How could I therefore make the local custom settings "global"/sticky?
Maybe a config variable would do the job, allowing to set custom
settings globally.

rainer

* Re: possible bug with headline visibility cycling and whitespace
@ 2007-08-16 11:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

On Aug 15, 2007, at 18:45, Brian van den Broek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still new enough to org-mode that the problem might be with my
> understanding, rather than the code. But, I have a situation where
> org-mode doesn't behave as I expect.
>
> To reproduce my problem, create the following org-mode file:
>
> <Start of file>
>
> * Heading Level One
>
> ** Heading Level Two
>
> *** TODO Try to unfold this tree
>

> * Heading Level One again
>

> <End of File>
>
> Everything between the start and end of file marks is needed,
> including the whitespace included on the lines after the 2nd- and
> 3rd-level headings. (Note that this is more than just the newline
> characters; there are space characters on those lines as well.) Do not
> include the start and end of file marks.
>
> Now, visit this org-mode file; it displays a blank line, the first
> three headings (with ellipsis), a blank line, and the final heading,
> as expected. Put the cursor on the first line, and <TAB> cycle so that
> only the two top-level headings are displayed. So far, so good.
>
> Now, put the cursor on the first top-level heading. Attempt to <TAB>
> cycle. Observe that nothing happens. What was expected was cycling
> through the various displays of the subtree. <TAB> cycling on the top
> of the file still works as expected, as do S-<TAB> and C-u <TAB>.
>
> Edit the file so as to remove all whitespace other than newlines from
> the various headlines that have them. Now, <TAB> cycling works as
> expected.
>
> So, it appears that headlines followed only by whitespace where that
> whitespace includes more than newlines breaks <TAB> cycling. This
> feels like a bug to me, but again, it might be that I misunderstand
> how org-mode is intended to work.
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 on ubuntu 7.04 and have org-mode 5.04
> (the same behaviour was manifest in 5.03). I have a number of org-mode
> tweaks in my .emacs, but nothing that I can recognize as related.
>
> Thanks and best,
>
> Brian vdB

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: agenda view "r" efreshing: how to stick with custom settings
@ 2007-08-16 11:25   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-16 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is a known bug, I have not yet found a solution for it.

- Carsten