* possible bug with headline visibility cycling and whitespace
@ 2007-08-15 16:45 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2007-08-15 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm still new enough to org-mode that the problem might be with my
understanding, rather than the code. But, I have a situation where
org-mode doesn't behave as I expect.

To reproduce my problem, create the following org-mode file:

<Start of file>

* Heading Level One

** Heading Level Two

*** TODO Try to unfold this tree

* Heading Level One again

<End of File>

Everything between the start and end of file marks is needed,
including the whitespace included on the lines after the 2nd- and
3rd-level headings. (Note that this is more than just the newline
characters; there are space characters on those lines as well.) Do not
include the start and end of file marks.

Now, visit this org-mode file; it displays a blank line, the first
three headings (with ellipsis), a blank line, and the final heading,
as expected. Put the cursor on the first line, and <TAB> cycle so that
only the two top-level headings are displayed. So far, so good.

Now, put the cursor on the first top-level heading. Attempt to <TAB>
cycle. Observe that nothing happens. What was expected was cycling
through the various displays of the subtree. <TAB> cycling on the top
of the file still works as expected, as do S-<TAB> and C-u <TAB>.

Edit the file so as to remove all whitespace other than newlines from
the various headlines that have them. Now, <TAB> cycling works as
expected.

So, it appears that headlines followed only by whitespace where that
whitespace includes more than newlines breaks <TAB> cycling. This
feels like a bug to me, but again, it might be that I misunderstand
how org-mode is intended to work.

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 on ubuntu 7.04 and have org-mode 5.04
(the same behaviour was manifest in 5.03). I have a number of org-mode
tweaks in my .emacs, but nothing that I can recognize as related.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB