* list format questions
@ 2007-11-07 17:32 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-11-07 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a couple of question about list formatting.  Given the example file:

==== sample.org ====

* [/] investigate
  - [ ] Q1 -- A1 \\
        more A1
  - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
excruciating detail.
  - [ ] Q3

====================

In Q1, the '\\' would force a line break when exported.  Should/can it
force a line break when using M-q to wrap lines?  If I use M-q on Q1,
the line below it wraps up to the same line as Q1.

In Q2, if I use M-q or auto wrap to wrap it, the word 'excruciating'
is indented so it aligns with the opening brace.  If I were to
manually hit newline after anywhere before that and press tab to
indent before continuing to type, it aligns with 'Q' in 'Q2'.
Afterwards, the either indentation is maintained properly with M-q or
auto wrap.  Is there an option I'm missing that I could use to make
tab and M-q & auto wrap to favor the same alignment, preferably 'Q2'?
I know list indenting was a can of worms before and I don't want to
suggest new behavior if it would clash with the current behavior.

Edd

* Re: list format questions
@ 2007-11-22 17:50 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  7Nov2007, at 6:32 PM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of question about list formatting.  Given the
> example file:
>
> ==== sample.org ====
>
> * [/] investigate
>   - [ ] Q1 -- A1 \\
>         more A1
>   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
> excruciating detail.
>   - [ ] Q3
>
> ====================
>
> In Q1, the '\\' would force a line break when exported.  Should/can it
> force a line break when using M-q to wrap lines?  If I use M-q on Q1,
> the line below it wraps up to the same line as Q1.

I don't think so, I would not know how to do this.  Emacs uses
regular expressions to detect paragraphs, and these are matched
against the beginning of a line.

I think this would mean implementing our own
paragraph-filling functions.  Too much work for now...

> In Q2, if I use M-q or auto wrap to wrap it, the word 'excruciating'
> is indented so it aligns with the opening brace.  If I were to
> manually hit newline after anywhere before that and press tab to
> indent before continuing to type, it aligns with 'Q' in 'Q2'.
> Afterwards, the either indentation is maintained properly with M-q or
> auto wrap.  Is there an option I'm missing that I could use to make
> tab and M-q & auto wrap to favor the same alignment, preferably 'Q2'?
> I know list indenting was a can of worms before and I don't want to
> suggest new behavior if it would clash with the current behavior.

Same here - I guess this could in some ways be seen as bug in Emacs,
but I am not really sure.

- Carsten

* Re: list format questions
@ 2007-11-23  8:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-23  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:

>   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
> excruciating detail.

Note that auto-refilling should already handle this.  The thing is that
it outputs something like this:

,----
|   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
|     excruciating detail.
`----

Not something like this:

,----
|   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
|         excruciating detail.
`----

Which might be seen as more natural.  But it's not obvious for me.  Do
you think auto-refill should wrap the line like in the second example?

(I'm not speaking about explicit refilling with `M-q' here.)

--
Bastien

* Re: list format questions
@ 2007-11-23 15:40   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-11-23 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 23, 2007 2:11 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> "Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
> > excruciating detail.
>
> Note that auto-refilling should already handle this.  The thing is that
> it outputs something like this:
>
> ,----
> |   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
> |     excruciating detail.
> `----
>
> Not something like this:
>
> ,----
> |   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
> |         excruciating detail.
> `----
>
> Which might be seen as more natural.  But it's not obvious for me.  Do
> you think auto-refill should wrap the line like in the second example?
>
> (I'm not speaking about explicit refilling with `M-q' here.)

Personally, I prefer the second example where the text aligns with
text instead of the checkbox.  I can live with either.  Overall, I'd
just like consistency with indenting.  Tab goes to one position, M-q
and auto-fill goes to another.  Changing it so tab and auto-fill
agree, but M-q doesn't isn't really an improvement in my eyes.  I'd
rather keep auto-fill and M-q the same and have tab be the odd man
out.

Edd

* Re: list format questions
@ 2007-11-23 17:07     ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-11-23 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eddward DeVilla wrote:

>> ,----
>> |   - [ ] Q2 is a really, really, long Q and needs to be described in
>> |         excruciating detail.
>> `----
>>
>> Which might be seen as more natural.  But it's not obvious for me.  Do
>> you think auto-refill should wrap the line like in the second example?
>>
>> (I'm not speaking about explicit refilling with `M-q' here.)
>
> Personally, I prefer the second example where the text aligns with
> text instead of the checkbox.

I also much prefer the text aligning with the text not the checkbox.  In
fact I always seem to end up inserting a tab on the second line to force
the alignment with M-q from then on.

Any way to guarantee this behavior would be an improvement in my eyes.

R.