* any org[/beamer] experts in the ottawa area available for consulting?
@ 2012-09-09  9:54 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-09  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

  here's the thing -- i can keep asking noob-level questions (i
probably still will), but i'm also *more* than happy to find someone
who knows this stuff intimately in the ottawa area with whom i can sit
down and hash out all the details i need to know to generate a ton of
courseware manuals in short order.

  the eventual goal is to transform the courses here:

  http://www.opersys.com/training

from their current ODP/PDF format into org/beamer format (from which
we will, of course, churn out the final PDF).  and i've got a number
of new manuals under construction as well.

  here's the manual i'm working on right now:

  http://www.opersys.com/training/linux-device-drivers

under the "Courseware" tab, you can see the (CC-licensed) slides in
both ODP and PDF format, so you can get an idea of what i'm after.
and even though there are existing manuals, the ones i'm working on
will be changing so much that i'm thinking of it as effectively
rewriting from scratch, rather than trying to salvage what's there.

  if someone's available for a quick contract, let me know -- i'd like
to hash out all the issues i need to define a nice template for
manuals, factor out common content, create a full processing toolchain
for this ... you get the idea.  (if anyone has done all this and is
willing to share, that would be peachy; again, i have no problem
compensating someone for their assistance.)

rday

p.s.  i asked this on the org list hoping for someone who also knows
beamer, of course.  if that doesn't work, i can ask on the beamer
list, looking for someone who also knows org. :-)

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: any org[/beamer] experts in the ottawa area available for consulting?
@ 2012-09-09 21:47 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-09-09 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpjday; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

> p.s.  i asked this on the org list hoping for someone who also knows
> beamer, of course.  if that doesn't work, i can ask on the beamer
> list, looking for someone who also knows org. :-)

I don't get the question, I'm afraid.  Could you reiterate questions
more concretely?

But do be aware that beamer article exists so that you can convert a
beamer slides into an a4 (or whatever) article from almost the same
source as the slides.  That's rather useful.

The org-e exporter should be able to cope with this, as far as I
remeber.

–Rasmus

BTW: For production with tex and friends perhaps Rivers Technology
will be of interest to you.  They provide document service to major
journals by e.g. Elsevir.  They use xml as backend and have some very
interesting videos out there.  'Household' production should be
possible via Org.  Perhaps org-publish can be extended to your needs?

--
May the Force be with you

* Re: any org[/beamer] experts in the ottawa area available for consulting?
@ 2012-09-10  0:55   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-09-10  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: rpjday, emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
>> p.s.  i asked this on the org list hoping for someone who also knows
>> beamer, of course.  if that doesn't work, i can ask on the beamer
>> list, looking for someone who also knows org. :-)
>
> I don't get the question, I'm afraid.  Could you reiterate questions
> more concretely?

<snip>

I *think* I get the question, but to Rasmus' point, could you provide
some examples of what an end product might look like? This would be a
tangible way for you to make the details of your request known. Rather
than base the request in reference to the site link you provided,
something more like:
- We have x number of courses, and each one has y article-style and z
presentation style teaching documents (manuals, tutorials, class
guides, etc.)
- An example of a representative manual is here: url
- An example of a representative presentation is here: url
- Repeat for any other documents you're looking to redo

Then provide a ballpark example of what you're looking to transform
the above into. Perhaps link to a manual/presentation you've found
that you would like to emulate certain characteristics of?

Lastly, a list of deliverables would be nice. For example, "I would like:
- A .emacs that could be shared among all documentation users
- A custom beamer template
- A custom LaTeX article class designed to produce the format above
- etc."

Just some thoughts to help others respond to something more concrete.

I looked around the site at the courseware section as you pointed out.
I think I get what you want, but it would still be helpful to have at
least some of the above for others in order to know what they are
being asked to do. It also helps some of us know what level of
org-mode knowledge would be required to help you. Lastly, what, if
any, compensation is involved.

Good luck in your search!
John

* Re: any org[/beamer] experts in the ottawa area available for consulting?
@ 2012-09-10  9:56     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, John Hendy wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
> > "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
> >
> >> p.s.  i asked this on the org list hoping for someone who also knows
> >> beamer, of course.  if that doesn't work, i can ask on the beamer
> >> list, looking for someone who also knows org. :-)
> >
> > I don't get the question, I'm afraid.  Could you reiterate questions
> > more concretely?
>
> <snip>
>
> I *think* I get the question, but to Rasmus' point, could you provide
> some examples of what an end product might look like? This would be a
> tangible way for you to make the details of your request known. Rather
> than base the request in reference to the site link you provided,
> something more like:
> - We have x number of courses, and each one has y article-style and z
> presentation style teaching documents (manuals, tutorials, class
> guides, etc.)
> - An example of a representative manual is here: url
> - An example of a representative presentation is here: url
> - Repeat for any other documents you're looking to redo
>
> Then provide a ballpark example of what you're looking to transform
> the above into. Perhaps link to a manual/presentation you've found
> that you would like to emulate certain characteristics of?
>
> Lastly, a list of deliverables would be nice. For example, "I would like:
> - A .emacs that could be shared among all documentation users
> - A custom beamer template
> - A custom LaTeX article class designed to produce the format above
> - etc."
>
> Just some thoughts to help others respond to something more concrete.
>
> I looked around the site at the courseware section as you pointed out.
> I think I get what you want, but it would still be helpful to have at
> least some of the above for others in order to know what they are
> being asked to do. It also helps some of us know what level of
> org-mode knowledge would be required to help you. Lastly, what, if
> any, compensation is involved.

  ok, i'll try to be as detailed as i can, even though i'm still
trying to wrap my head around all of the features org-mode and beamer
give me.  (aside: while having someone do this for me remotely might
work out, i'd still prefer to find someone local here in ottawa to sit
down with since i'm not even going to *know* all the questions i want
to ask until i see things happening.)

  my colleague and i are looking to both convert existing courseware
manuals and write new manuals in beamer format.  representative
manuals can be seen here in both ODP and PDF format (my specialty will
be the linux content manuals):

  http://www.opersys.com/training

  as you can see, the emphasis will be on the typical bulleted list
format, while i personally will want to include *copious* amounts of
source code snippets while writing about the linux kernel and device
drivers.

  i am not an accomplished user of *any* of the technologies in the
toolchain -- org-mode, emacs, latex or beamer.  i have used emacs in
outline mode for quite some time for *designing* new manuals and, for
me, the whole outline mode feature of org-mode is essential; that's
how i want to lay out and start writing new manuals.

  what i'm after is as much infrastructure as i need to get started
writing one or more manuals.  by infrastructure, i mean setting up a
working directory on my ubuntu system which will support not just
writing individual manuals, but factoring out common content
(copyrights, etc) and being able to include it in all manuals
arbitrarily.  so, in the end, i'm after a fairly complete publishing
and processing toolchain that will take me from writing .org files to
the final beamer files for each manual.

  a recent example on this list shows why i'd like to hire someone to
help, to save me time.  i asked why a simple "H:3" option didn't
give me three levels of headings, even though the org-mode user manual
*clearly* suggested that's how to do it.  a couple people responded,
describing a need to use "require" and "org-e-beamer" and
"org-export-dispatch".  but while i'm sure that's the solution, i
would *never* figured that out on my own since i would have had no
idea where to look.

  what i'm after right now is a starting infrastructure so i can start
cramming content into manuals, and i can tweak over time as i learn
what else i can do.  as for compensation, if you can help, let me know
your rate and we can chat.

rday

@ 2012-09-13 17:45       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2012-09-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
[snip: request for help (63 lines)]

>   i am not an accomplished user of *any* of the technologies in the
> toolchain -- org-mode, emacs, latex or beamer.  i have used emacs in

Highly recommended series for getting to know Emacs better:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/aix/libraryview.jsp?search_by=emacs+editing+environment

HTH
--Manish

* Re: any org[/beamer] experts in the ottawa area available for consulting?
@ 2012-09-13 17:56         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus