* Bug: linum-mode + org-indent-mode cursor movement problems [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/org/)]
@ 2017-11-14 15:30 Tom Schutter
From: Tom Schutter @ 2017-11-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If both linum-mode (or nlinum-mode) and org-indent-mode are enabled,
then moving the cursor to the previous line using <up> causes it to jump
horizontally to the right.  The jump matches the current indentation.  I
would expect the cursor to remain in the same column.

Load linum.org (contents below) with minimal config.  linum.org will
enable linum-mode and org-indent-mode:

   emacs -Q linum.org

Place your cursor on the "2" in the fourth line and press <up>.  The
cursor will jump two columns to the right to the "4" in the third line.
Press <up> again and the cursor will move to the "4" in the second line.
  Press <up> again and the cursor will jump back to the "e" in the first
line.

What is interesting is that you get different behavior when using
<down>.  The cursor remains in the same column as you move down each
line.  So starting on the "e" in the first line, pressing <down> moves
the cursor to the "2" on the second line.

If you insert a second level heading in between the first and the second
line, then the jumps will be four columns instead of two.

I discovered this problem first in nlimum-mode, but it is easier to
reproduce using linum-mode when starting Emacs with -Q.

Contents of linum.org:

   * heading
   1234 line 2
   1234 line 3
   1234 line 4
   # Local Variables:
   # eval: (org-indent-mode 1)
   # eval: (linum-mode 1)
   # End:

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
  of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/org/)

current state:
==============
(setq
  org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe
		      org-src-native-tab-command-maybe
		      org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
		      org-babel-header-arg-expand)
  org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook
			  org-babel-speed-command-hook)
  org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
  org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
  org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
  org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
		     org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
  org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
  org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
  org-mode-hook '(#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
		   [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-show-block-all
		    append local]
		   5]
		 #[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
		   [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook
		    org-babel-show-result-all append local]
		   5]
		 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
  org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point
			  org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
  org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
		  org-cycle-hide-inline-tasks org-cycle-show-empty-lines
		  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
  org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
  org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
  )

@ 2017-11-15 23:58 Tom Schutter
From: Tom Schutter @ 2017-11-15 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Bug: linum-mode + org-indent-mode cursor movement problems [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/org/)]
@ 2017-11-17 22:30 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-11-17 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Schutter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Tom Schutter <t.schutter@comcast.net> writes:

> If both linum-mode (or nlinum-mode) and org-indent-mode are enabled,
> then moving the cursor to the previous line using <up> causes it to
> jump horizontally to the right.  The jump matches the current
> indentation.  I would expect the cursor to remain in the same column.
>
> Load linum.org (contents below) with minimal config.  linum.org will
> enable linum-mode and org-indent-mode:
>
>   emacs -Q linum.org
>
> Place your cursor on the "2" in the fourth line and press <up>.  The
> cursor will jump two columns to the right to the "4" in the third
> line. Press <up> again and the cursor will move to the "4" in the
> second line. Press <up> again and the cursor will jump back to the "e"
> in the first line.
>
> What is interesting is that you get different behavior when using
> <down>.  The cursor remains in the same column as you move down each
> line.  So starting on the "e" in the first line, pressing <down> moves
> the cursor to the "2" on the second line.
>
> If you insert a second level heading in between the first and the
> second line, then the jumps will be four columns instead of two.
>
> I discovered this problem first in nlimum-mode, but it is easier to
> reproduce using linum-mode when starting Emacs with -Q.
>
> Contents of linum.org:
>
>   * heading
>   1234 line 2
>   1234 line 3
>   1234 line 4
>   # Local Variables:
>   # eval: (org-indent-mode 1)
>   # eval: (linum-mode 1)
>   # End:

I don't think it's worth fixing: linum.el and nlinum.el are on their way
out since Emacs 26 will ship with the same feature, implemented at the
C level.

It would be nice to know, however, if there is the same problem with
that new implementation.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2017-11-17 23:18   ` Tom Schutter
From: Tom Schutter @ 2017-11-17 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

But how long will we wait for Emacs 26?

@ 2017-11-18 10:32     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-11-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Schutter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Tom Schutter <t.schutter@comcast.net> writes:

> But how long will we wait for Emacs 26?

I don't know. It could be less long than waiting for someone to fix it,
though.

Anyway, I think the issue is on the Emacs C-side of code. Try playing
with

  (vertical-motion '(2.0 . -1))

and

  (vertical-motion '(2.0 . 1))

in the buffer, for example from the "1" in "1234". They give different
results.

You may want to ask you question on Emacs Devel mailing list.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

@ 2017-11-18 13:17     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-11-18 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Schutter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017, 6:20 PM Tom Schutter <t.schutter@comcast.net> wrote:

> But how long will we wait for Emacs 26?

The release is "imminent" as the first pretest is already out. Adding of
new features to Emacs 26 has been stopped for a while now. So now only bug
fixes and doc improvements happen.

I have been building Emacs from emacs-26 branch pretty regularly and it's
very stable for my daily use.

Pretest download links:

For GNU/Linux systems:
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-26.0.90.tar.xz

For Windows: http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

Try it out! :)

> --

Kaushal Modi