* org-modern
@ 2022-03-01 18:50 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-03-01 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed org-modern in the list of new packages available:

https://github.com/minad/org-modern

Worth a look by any Org users, just for the screenshots comparing Org buffers
normally and with org-modern.  Fine work from Daniel Mendler, who I think is on
this list.  I'm trying it out right now.

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: org-modern
@ 2022-03-01 21:00 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-03-01 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I noticed org-modern in the list of new packages available:
>
> https://github.com/minad/org-modern
>
> Worth a look by any Org users, just for the screenshots comparing Org buffers normally and with
> org-modern.  Fine work from Daniel Mendler, who I think is on this list.  I'm trying it out
> right now.

I was looking at this package and it looks interesting. However, I do
wonder how much of an impact it has on org performance. I suspect it
will have a significant impact on large org files. Would be interested
in hearing how people find it with larger files.

* Re: org-modern
@ 2022-03-02 17:34 autofrettage
From: autofrettage @ 2022-03-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Call me old-fashioned if you like, but when I see efforts like org-modern, I cannot help but thinking about Neo in Matrix. It was his ability to see the source code, which gave him his god-like powers.

I therefore draw the line at (conventional) syntax highlighting.

(I am painfully aware my standpoint could have its roots in the following phenomenon:
You tend to take new inventions for granted, if they appeared when you were 15 years or younger. Inventions appearing between the age of 15 and 35, are not only accepted, but often hailed as "break-throughs", "game changing", and the like. Once you are older than 35, most new things tend to be dangerous, or even evil.)

Cheers
Rasmus

* Re: org-modern
@ 2022-03-03 12:14   ` Christopher M. Miles
From: Christopher M. Miles @ 2022-03-03 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> I noticed org-modern in the list of new packages available:
>>
>> https://github.com/minad/org-modern
>>
>> Worth a look by any Org users, just for the screenshots comparing Org buffers normally and with
>> org-modern.  Fine work from Daniel Mendler, who I think is on this list.  I'm trying it out
>> right now.
>>

> I was looking at this package and it looks interesting. However, I do
> wonder how much of an impact it has on org performance. I suspect it
> will have a significant impact on large org files. Would be interested
> in hearing how people find it with larger files.

It does not affect performance a lot. I almost can't feel the latency difference between disable or
enabled org-modern. I have 3M org file which has lot of source blocks and tags list etc. (I know 3M
is not very large.)

I like this package indeed beatified org-mode a lot.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-modern
@ 2022-03-03 13:09     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-03 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: William Denton, Tim Cross, emacs-orgmode

"Christopher M. Miles" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

> It does not affect performance a lot. I almost can't feel the latency difference between disable or
> enabled org-modern. I have 3M org file which has lot of source blocks and tags list etc. (I know 3M
> is not very large.)
>
> I like this package indeed beatified org-mode a lot.

I can confirm that performance is not significantly affected (17M file).
AFAIU, org-modern does the right thing by utilising font-lock and not
forcing fontification of the whole file. So, jit-lock can do its job of
on-demand and asynchronous fontification.

Best,
Ihor