* A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-19 22:26 Vikas Rawal
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-19 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am happy to share with fellow Orgers my recent book —  Ending Malnutrition: from commitment to action  — published by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome and Tulika Books, New Delhi (http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf <http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf>),  The book was written and produced entirely in Org.

This would not have been possible without the terrific support provided by this community. Over the last few months, I have come to this mailing list with several queries about how to do something or the other, and people have very patiently provided solutions and suggestions.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and their support.

Vikas

--------

From acknowledgements of the book:

In addition, for all the statistical work and writing, the authors relied on R ([[http://www.r-project.org][www.r-project.org]]), org ([[http://www.orgmode.org][www.orgmode.org]]),
and LaTeX. All three are open source projects, freely made available by very vibrant communities of developers. During the course of the work, we often drew on support from these communities.

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-19 22:38 ` Fabrice Popineau
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2015-09-19 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I won't be long : very nice job !

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-20  0:01 ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found] ` <CACc7+8Yz5dz2cNKqpCoyOT3Arz8DwzrfYcXAUZ9f1NUMftrZAg@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-09-20  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Vikas,

Looks great.  Congratulations!

All the best,
Tom

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I am happy to share with fellow Orgers my recent book —  Ending Malnutrition: from commitment to action  — published by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome and Tulika Books, New Delhi (http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf <http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf>),  The book was written and produced entirely in Org.
>
> This would not have been possible without the terrific support provided by this community. Over the last few months, I have come to this mailing list with several queries about how to do something or the other, and people have very patiently provided solutions and suggestions.
>
> I would like to thank everyone for their patience and their support.
>
> Vikas
>
> --------
>
> From acknowledgements of the book:
>
> In addition, for all the statistical work and writing, the authors relied on R ([[http://www.r-project.org][www.r-project.org]]), org ([[http://www.orgmode.org][www.orgmode.org]]),
> and LaTeX. All three are open source projects, freely made available by very vibrant communities of developers. During the course of the work, we often drew on support from these communities.

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: A book produced using Org
       [not found] ` <CACc7+8Yz5dz2cNKqpCoyOT3Arz8DwzrfYcXAUZ9f1NUMftrZAg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-09-20  1:06   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-20  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 20-Sep-2015, at 4:20 am, Pascal Fleury <fleury@google.com> wrote:
>
> Great! Congrats!
>
> I was actually wondering: you are 3 authors. How did you collaborate, in practice ? There was a thread about using org for collaborative work, but it seemed to end in discussing other tools...
> Was it plain git/emacs and the tools used usually for code management ?

Well, unfortunately, the other two authors are not familiar with emacs, org-mode, or LaTeX.

The parts they wrote were sent as MS-Word files. I converted them into Org-mode.

For the parts I wrote, I sent them PDFs. The first time, I also sent them a Word version. I offered them that they could comment in word (with track changes) and send me, or better still, work on hard copies and send me the scans. The PDFs were so far superior to those word files, that could not resist them :). So, their comments came as scans of the commented hard copies, and I incorporated them in. Once they were comfortable with this, in subsequent rounds, I had to send them only PDFs.

We followed the same process with the copy editors. The copy editors worked on hard copies, and I incorporated the comments. This actually had a huge advantage since, in the process of incorporating their edits, I went through every single change they wanted to make. I do not know if they had done this on their software, how I would have gone through every sentence to check if and what had been modified.

The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications. Again, this meant additional work for me. But this was also far more efficient than converting everything into Word, and then letting her set it up on InDesign. Both these steps would have been far more laborious. For example, I doubt if InDesign can make an author index automatically from citations in the way biblatex does.

So, the barrier in our case was not to find the most appropriate version-control software. The problem was that the other two authors were completely unfamiliar with any of these tools. But, even with that, using Org-mode was so far superior to shifting to Word or anything of that kind. No question.

 Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-20  2:40     ` Manuel Koell
From: Manuel Koell @ 2015-09-20  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Beautiful! I would love to see the org file! How did emacs perform which
such huge file?

> > On 20-Sep-2015, at 4:20 am, Pascal Fleury <fleury@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Great! Congrats!
> >
> > I was actually wondering: you are 3 authors. How did you collaborate, in
> practice ? There was a thread about using org for collaborative work, but
> it seemed to end in discussing other tools...
> > Was it plain git/emacs and the tools used usually for code management ?
>

> Well, unfortunately, the other two authors are not familiar with emacs,
> org-mode, or LaTeX.
>
> The parts they wrote were sent as MS-Word files. I converted them into
> Org-mode.
>
> For the parts I wrote, I sent them PDFs. The first time, I also sent them
> a Word version. I offered them that they could comment in word (with track
> changes) and send me, or better still, work on hard copies and send me the
> scans. The PDFs were so far superior to those word files, that could not
> resist them :). So, their comments came as scans of the commented hard
> copies, and I incorporated them in. Once they were comfortable with this,
> in subsequent rounds, I had to send them only PDFs.
>
> We followed the same process with the copy editors. The copy editors
> worked on hard copies, and I incorporated the comments. This actually had a
> huge advantage since, in the process of incorporating their edits, I went
> through every single change they wanted to make. I do not know if they had
> done this on their software, how I would have gone through every sentence
> to check if and what had been modified.
>
> The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal
> with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications.
> Again, this meant additional work for me. But this was also far more
> efficient than converting everything into Word, and then letting her set it
> up on InDesign. Both these steps would have been far more laborious. For
> example, I doubt if InDesign can make an author index automatically from
> citations in the way biblatex does.
>
> So, the barrier in our case was not to find the most appropriate
> version-control software. The problem was that the other two authors were
> completely unfamiliar with any of these tools. But, even with that, using
> Org-mode was so far superior to shifting to Word or anything of that kind.
> No question.
>
>  Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-20  5:09       ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-20  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Beautiful! I would love to see the org file! How did emacs perform which such huge file?

Emacs had no trouble whatsoever. The main file is 9313 lines.

I turned off evaluation of code blocks at export time. Many of the code blocks download data from FAO and other websites before using them. Evaluating all of them at export time would have meant too much lag in producing the pdf. So all code blocks had to be manually evaluated (C-c C-c), if I changed anything.

I did not manage to learn and use export filters. There were a couple of things that I needed to fix at the time of export. Since I could not handle those in org, I wrote a bash script that would use sed to clear up those things, and then create a pdf. But that was it.

Although I do not know git very well, I can manage basic operations. I had a git repo to deal with versions. In the end, there were two versions: one that laid out the page on a larger stock paper with trim marks for the printer, and another that generated the online version for the FAO document repository.

Let me put the files in a github repo and share the link.

Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-20  6:50         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

>> Beautiful! I would love to see the org file! How did emacs perform which such huge file?
>>

> Emacs had no trouble whatsoever. The main file is 9313 lines.
>
> I turned off evaluation of code blocks at export time. Many of the
> code blocks download data from FAO and other websites before using
> them. Evaluating all of them at export time would have meant too much
> lag in producing the pdf. So all code blocks had to be manually
> evaluated (C-c C-c), if I changed anything.

This is exactly what I do at the moment - it works perfectly, and one
has control over the execution of the code blocks.

One disadvantage: I have to be sure to have all code blocks evaluated. A
time step in the properties, specifying the lat execution time, would be
very nice...

> I did not manage to learn and use export filters. There were a couple
> of things that I needed to fix at the time of export. Since I could
> not handle those in org, I wrote a bash script that would use sed to
> clear up those things, and then create a pdf. But that was it.
>
> Although I do not know git very well, I can manage basic operations. I
> had a git repo to deal with versions. In the end, there were two
> versions: one that laid out the page on a larger stock paper with trim
> marks for the printer, and another that generated the online version
> for the FAO document repository.
>
> Let me put the files in a github repo and share the link.

That would be great - thanks.

Is there a worg page where links to documents created using org are
collected? This would be a brilliant addition!

The final document  looks really great!

Congratulations,

Rainer

> Vikas

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A book produced using Org
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <CACc7+8Yz5dz2cNKqpCoyOT3Arz8DwzrfYcXAUZ9f1NUMftrZAg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-09-20  7:29 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2015-09-20  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Sun, 20 Sep 2015 03:56:54 +0530
schrieb Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>:

> I am happy to share with fellow Orgers my recent book —  Ending
> Malnutrition: from commitment to action  — published by the Food and
> Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome and Tulika
> Books, New Delhi (http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf
> <http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf>),  The book was written and
> produced entirely in Org.

Looks fantastic! Congratulations!

Detlef

@ 2015-09-20  9:02     ` Martin Schöön
From: Martin Schöön @ 2015-09-20  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 September 2015 at 03:06, Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>
wrote:

> The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal
> with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications.

Properties of the PDF mentions both Emacs and org mode :-)

How did you get MinionPro into LaTeX?

--
Martin Schöön

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/index.html

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-20 12:50           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Really cool :).  Good work!

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 08:50:20AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:
> >
> > Let me put the files in a github repo and share the link.
>
> That would be great - thanks.
>
> Is there a worg page where links to documents created using org are
> collected? This would be a brilliant addition!

This might be a good page for that:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-papers.html

Although it might need a little restructuring.  For example collecting
these:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/uses.html#sec-6

in the same page might be worthwhile.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: A book produced using Org
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-09-20 13:13 ` M
From: M @ 2015-09-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Vikas,

the book looks really beautiful ­ very good work!

It should definitely be mentioned on the orgmode homepage.
It would also be worth a message in the (very quiet) orgmode group on
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=4588448

Kind regards

Martin

Von: Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>
Datum: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 03:56:54 +0530
An: org-mode mailing list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Betreff: [O] A book produced using Org

I am happy to share with fellow Orgers my recent book ‹  Ending
Malnutrition: from commitment to action  ‹ published by the Food and
Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome and Tulika Books, New
Delhi (http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4921e.pdf),  The book was written and
produced entirely in Org.

This would not have been possible without the terrific support provided by
this community. Over the last few months, I have come to this mailing list
with several queries about how to do something or the other, and people have
very patiently provided solutions and suggestions.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and their support.

Vikas

--------

From acknowledgements of the book:

@ 2015-09-20 23:27         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-09-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also pretty routinely use two org files that are about 15000 lines
long, in exactly the same way you describe below. One is a book on using
Python in Science and engineering, and one is using Python to do
molecular simulations with density functional theory. Both have at least
100 code block examples in them. It works great!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-21 14:32       ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-21 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications.
>
> Properties of the PDF mentions both Emacs and org mode :-)

:)

> How did you get MinionPro into LaTeX?

I use xelatex.

Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-21 14:39             ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have put the source files at

https://github.com/vikasrawal/endingmalnutrition <https://github.com/vikasrawal/endingmalnutrition>

The repository does not contain the logo files and the cover files. These were not created in org. But everything else is there.

Thanks everyone for all the lovely compliments.

Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-21 19:51         ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-09-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where is your Emacs+OrgMode configuration file?

I want to see what it takes to compile using xelatex; utf8 support
seems like a great idea.
Grant Rettke
--
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Vikas Rawal
<vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

>> The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal
>> with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications.
>

> Properties of the PDF mentions both Emacs and org mode :-)
>

> :)
>

> How did you get MinionPro into LaTeX?
>

> I use xelatex.
>
> Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-21 22:50           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 02:51:13PM -0500, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Where is your Emacs+OrgMode configuration file?
>
> I want to see what it takes to compile using xelatex; utf8 support
> seems like a great idea.

Until recently, it used be just this:

;; remove "inputenc" from default packages as it clashes with xelatex
(setf org-latex-default-packages-alist
      (remove '("AUTO" "inputenc" t) org-latex-default-packages-alist))

;; replace fontenc, with fontspec
(let ((pos (position '("T1" "fontenc" t) ; T1 -> utf8 for pdflatex
		     org-latex-default-packages-alist
		     :test 'equal)))
  (if pos
      (setf (nth pos org-latex-default-packages-alist)
	    '("" "fontspec" t))))

(setq org-latex-pdf-process ; -shell-escape needed for minted
      '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
	"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
	"xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")
      ;; org-latex-pdf-process '("sh -v -x texi2dvi -p -b -c -V %f") ; historical
      ;; TODO: maybe use arara, that probably requires export changes
      )

After this patch from Rasmus:

  <http://mid.gmane.org/87wpvu4879.fsf@gmx.us>

it's as simple as adding a

  #+latex_program: xelatex

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-21 23:43           ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-09-21 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Where is your Emacs+OrgMode configuration file?

Have added details of my emacs setup to README.md in the repo.

Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-22  0:25             ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-09-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Vikas and Suvayu.
Grant Rettke
--
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” --Kay
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Vikas Rawal
<vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

>> Where is your Emacs+OrgMode configuration file?
>>

> Have added details of my emacs setup to README.md in the repo.
>
> Vikas

* Re: A book produced using Org
@ 2015-09-22 11:23             ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-09-22 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> After this patch from Rasmus:
>
>   <http://mid.gmane.org/87wpvu4879.fsf@gmx.us>
>
> it's as simple as adding a
>
>   #+latex_program: xelatex

It's not pushed yet, though.  I have to add documentation before this can
happen.  I will hopefully do so one of these nights...

Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall