Beautiful! I would love to see the org file! How did emacs perform which such huge file? 2015-09-20 3:06 GMT+02:00 Vikas Rawal : > > > On 20-Sep-2015, at 4:20 am, Pascal Fleury wrote: > > > > Great! Congrats! > > > > I was actually wondering: you are 3 authors. How did you collaborate, in > practice ? There was a thread about using org for collaborative work, but > it seemed to end in discussing other tools... > > Was it plain git/emacs and the tools used usually for code management ? > > > Well, unfortunately, the other two authors are not familiar with emacs, > org-mode, or LaTeX. > > The parts they wrote were sent as MS-Word files. I converted them into > Org-mode. > > For the parts I wrote, I sent them PDFs. The first time, I also sent them > a Word version. I offered them that they could comment in word (with track > changes) and send me, or better still, work on hard copies and send me the > scans. The PDFs were so far superior to those word files, that could not > resist them :). So, their comments came as scans of the commented hard > copies, and I incorporated them in. Once they were comfortable with this, > in subsequent rounds, I had to send them only PDFs. > > We followed the same process with the copy editors. The copy editors > worked on hard copies, and I incorporated the comments. This actually had a > huge advantage since, in the process of incorporating their edits, I went > through every single change they wanted to make. I do not know if they had > done this on their software, how I would have gone through every sentence > to check if and what had been modified. > > The publisher usually works with InDesign, but was willing to let me deal > with production of the print-ready PDF if I could meet her specifications. > Again, this meant additional work for me. But this was also far more > efficient than converting everything into Word, and then letting her set it > up on InDesign. Both these steps would have been far more laborious. For > example, I doubt if InDesign can make an author index automatically from > citations in the way biblatex does. > > So, the barrier in our case was not to find the most appropriate > version-control software. The problem was that the other two authors were > completely unfamiliar with any of these tools. But, even with that, using > Org-mode was so far superior to shifting to Word or anything of that kind. > No question. > > Vikas > > > >