* How to make weeks start from Sunday and be numbered from a custom date
@ 2015-08-23 15:10 Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Two questions:

1. My work week starts on Sunday, so I have:

(setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday 0)

Now the agenda timeline starts on Sunday as desired. However, it says on
top "Week agenda (W34-W35)", i.e. it still thinks that the week starts on
Monday. Can I change that?

2. It would be very useful for me if the weeks were numbered from the week
when my big work project started. Can I have the week numbering customized
to have W01 on a certain date?

* Re: How to make weeks start from Sunday and be numbered from a custom date
@ 2015-08-23 18:04 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe@gmail.com> writes:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. My work week starts on Sunday, so I have:
>
> (setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday 0)
>
> Now the agenda timeline starts on Sunday as desired. However, it says on top "Week agenda (W34-W35)", i.e. it still thinks that the week starts on Monday. Can I change that?
>
> 2. It would be very useful for me if the weeks were numbered from the week when my big work project started. Can I have the week numbering customized to have W01 on a certain date?

I believe the answer is "no" to both questions: these are ISO week
numbers and org depends on calendar functions to calculate them.

--
Nick

* Re: How to make weeks start from Sunday and be numbered from a custom date
@ 2015-08-23 19:12   ` Bill Burdick
From: Bill Burdick @ 2015-08-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Have you tried customizing org-agenda-format-date with a function?  Here's
the doc string:

"Format string for displaying dates in the agenda.
Used by the daily/weekly agenda and by the timeline.  This should be
a format string understood by `format-time-string', or a function returning
the formatted date as a string.  The function must take a single argument,
a calendar-style date list like (month day year)."

If you're mostly concerned about displaying dates, rather than reading them
in, that might do the trick.

-- Bill

@ 2015-08-26 16:37     ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bill Burdick <bill.burdick <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Have you tried customizing org-agenda-format-date with a function?
Here's the doc string:

> "Format string for displaying dates in the agenda.
> Used by the daily/weekly agenda and by the timeline.  This should be
> a format string understood by `format-time-string', or a function
returning
> the formatted date as a string.  The function must take a single
argument,
> a calendar-style date list like (month day year)."
>

> If you're mostly concerned about displaying dates, rather than reading
them in, that might do the trick.

> -- Bill
>

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 9:04 PM Nick Dokos <ndokos <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. My work week starts on Sunday, so I have:
> >
> > (setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday 0)
> >
> > Now the agenda timeline starts on Sunday as desired. However, it says
on top "Week agenda (W34-W35)", i.e. it still thinks that the week starts
on Monday. Can I change that?

> > 2. It would be very useful for me if the weeks were numbered from the
week when my big work project started. Can I have the week numbering
customized to have W01 on a certain date?

> I believe the answer is "no" to both questions: these are ISO week
> numbers and org depends on calendar functions to calculate them.
> --
> Nick

This sounds good. However, it requires knowledge of eLisp, which I cannot
claim to possess. I would very much appreciate a code snippet that would
get me started in the right direction.