From: Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
To: Erik Hetzner <egh@e6h.org>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: zotero plain, org-odt, and citations in general
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:45:27 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Erik Hetzner <egh@e6h.org> wrote:

> At Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:51:22 -0500,
> Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > Responding to just a few of the excellent points raised by J 7 E
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Erik Hetzner <egh@e6h.org> wrote:
> >
> > > At Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:47:30 +0530,
> > > Jambunathan K wrote:
> > > >

> > > I should note that while the org/zotero integration in zotero-plain
> > > “works for me”, I would welcome changes to make it more robust and
> > > feature-full. But I use org for notes and todo lists, not for document
> > > production.
>
> This is me you are quoting, for the record.
>
> yes sorry, bad formatting on my part!

> > Wouldn't the rigt target be, not the sqlite db, but the Zoteor *service*
> > that runs on port 50001 when Zotero is running?  Aren't there some
> > higher-level tools for working through that interface -- e.g., erik, your
> > rst tool uses a python library, does it talk to Zotero that way?
>
> the server that runs on port 50001 is undocumented, last I
> checked. And there are no tools to connect to it. Frank Bennett put
> together a hack of the jsbridge Firefox extension which works quite
> well. [1] But that is python only, as far as I can tell.

sorry to hear about the lack of documentation.  that's a bummer actually.

> > […]
> >
> > so, couldn't one think of the problem as having three parts:
> > (1) get emacs to talk to the zotero server; and
> > (2) figure out how org/emacs should interact with citeproc
> > (3) translate the org zotero links into a syntax that LibreOffice
> > recognizes and can successfully manipulate
>
> I think that is a good summary of what needs to be done. (3) is what
> zot4rst does not bother to do.
>
> The task of weaving together the HTML output from citeproc and your
> export document can be tricky.

if tricky for you, then likely unmanageable for me.   but I wonder if
Zotero themselves would be interested in helping a little bit with some of
this work?  Seems sort of strange to build this great tool and then limit
its usefulness to two hulking word processors, when really the goal of
portable, reformattable citations applies just as much to text and html as
to word processing documents.

best,
matt