* R code block on Worg
@ 2013-04-10  0:18 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-04-10  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The example I used earlier came from

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

Here it is again for reference:

#+name: r-with-ggplot2
#+begin_src R :results output graphics :var tbl=foo :file r/foo-output.png :width 400 :height 300
  library(ggplot2)
  res <- ggplot(tbl, aes(a_foo_var))
  res + geom_histogram(aes(y=..density..)) +
  geom_density(weight=2) + xlab("A foo variable")
#+end_src

Just to be clear, my R knowledge is less than \epsilon.
I was trying to get this to work and I had a few problems:

o It uses a table named "foo" as input, which does not appear on the
  page at all.  So I added a stupid table of my own. The only trouble is
  I'm not sure what the code does with it.

o It uses the ggplot2 library (and the earlier examples use the ascii
  library) which I didn't have on my system.  I was trying to find a
  package on Ubuntu to get these, but I couldn't. I finally stumbled
  across the R way of installing libraries:

  > install.packages("ggplot2")

  at the R prompt.

o Then R complained about a_foo_var:

  + Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object 'a_foo_var' not found

  So I just added a dummy a_foo_var <- 3 into the block to get it going,
  but again, I have no idea what the code does with it.

o Finally, there is no graphic output on the page that I could compare
  with what I got and no explanatory description. I *could* go and learn
  some R and be a better person for it too, but I just wanted a little
  taste and this example was a bit too troublesome for me.

Could somebody knowledgeable in R fix the example and perhaps provide
some explanatory comments? Or provide suitable handholding?  Given the
latter, I'd be happy to make the changes necessary. Or perhaps this is
not the best example for that page and a simpler example could be given
instead?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: R code block on Worg
@ 2013-04-10  1:02 ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-04-10  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Nick,

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> The example I used earlier came from
>
>     http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

[snip]

I seem to have overlooked your earlier message - sorry about that.  As
far as doing R stuff with Org I am afraid that ob-doc-R is a bit
behind all of the many, many released changes of recent weeks.  Some
time back I updated an extended document (originally written by Erik
Iverson) to work with the new exporter.  You can find all of that
here:

https://github.com/gjkerns/org-mode-R-tutorial

I recommend working through the *.org file and looking at the *.pdf
and *.html files for comparison.  It goes through a whole bunch of
things, and there is a ggplot2 example, too.

I hope to eventually migrate that over to Worg but thought it best to
wait for Org-8.0's release.  Perhaps you may find something useful
there in the meantime.

I hope this helps,
--
Jay

P.S. If you find yourself walking further down the R path you might be
interested in IPSUR.  It is written in org so you'd feel right at
home.

* Re: R code block on Worg
@ 2013-04-10  3:26   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-04-10  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)