* mobile-org.el maintainer
@ 2016-06-12 12:33 Benoît Coste
From: Benoît Coste @ 2016-06-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi everyone,

I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss a
few changes for mobile-org.el.
I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file mobile-org.el
says carsten@orgmode.org but I tried it and it is not working. Does anyone
know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?

Thanks

* Re: mobile-org.el maintainer
@ 2016-06-12 13:24 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-06-12 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benoît Coste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Benoît Coste <ben.coste@gmail.com> writes:

> I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss a
> few changes for mobile-org.el.

I read your mail from a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of
this library to be useful to the discussion.

> I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file mobile-org.el
> says carsten@orgmode.org but I tried it and it is not working. Does anyone
> know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?

It is part of Org core, so anyone with write access to repository can
maintain it. The current maintainer is Bastien Guerry, who reads this
list. IOW, you can discuss the changes here.

Nicolas Goaziou

* MobileOrg: adding new file
@ 2016-06-14 12:20   ` Benoît Coste
From: Benoît Coste @ 2016-06-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello

So what I wanted to discuss was the possibility for a MobileOrg to create
new files from its phone and keep them synched.

Currently the list of synched files is a file called "index.org" stored in
the synch folder and Emacs and MobileOrg use ite for pulling changes.
However everytime Emacs pushes a changes, it overwrites this file. Because
for pushing, Emacs use a second list of files, the variable
'org-agenda-files and it will recreate a new index.org based on
org-agenda-files content. To conclude, if MobileOrg had added a file to
synch in index.org, it will be removed from the list after next Emacs push.

So my suggestion is for Emacs to stop using org-agenda-files to generate
the list of synched file but use the currently existing index.org. In case
index.org does not exist (for eg. at repo initialization), then
org-agenda-files can be used to create it.

To be honest, after a lot of reflexion, I think more and more about using a
external synch mechanism (such as git) instead of using org-mobile.el. A
positive point would be to allow non-Emacs people to use MobileOrg with
synchronization. So I may not even use my own suggestion but I still think
it is worth to mention this "incoherence".

Regards

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Benoît Coste <ben.coste@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss
> > few changes for mobile-org.el.
>
> I read your mail from a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of
> this library to be useful to the discussion.
>
> > I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file
> mobile-org.el
> > says carsten@orgmode.org but I tried it and it is not working. Does
> anyone
> > know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?
>
> It is part of Org core, so anyone with write access to repository can
> maintain it. The current maintainer is Bastien Guerry, who reads this
> list. IOW, you can discuss the changes here.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: MobileOrg: adding new file
@ 2016-06-15  8:46     ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-06-15  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benoît Coste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 14 June 2016 at 13:20, Benoît Coste <ben.coste@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what I wanted to discuss was the possibility for a MobileOrg to create
> new files from its phone and keep them synched.
>
> Currently the list of synched files is a file called "index.org" stored in
> the synch folder and Emacs and MobileOrg use ite for pulling changes.
> However everytime Emacs pushes a changes, it overwrites this file. Because
> for pushing, Emacs use a second list of files, the variable
> 'org-agenda-files and it will recreate a new index.org based on
> org-agenda-files content. To conclude, if MobileOrg had added a file to
> synch in index.org, it will be removed from the list after next Emacs push.
>
> So my suggestion is for Emacs to stop using org-agenda-files to generate the
> list of synched file but use the currently existing index.org. In case
> index.org does not exist (for eg. at repo initialization), then
> org-agenda-files can be used to create it.
>
> To be honest, after a lot of reflexion, I think more and more about using a
> external synch mechanism (such as git) instead of using org-mobile.el. A
> positive point would be to allow non-Emacs people to use MobileOrg with
> synchronization. So I may not even use my own suggestion but I still think
> it is worth to mention this "incoherence".
>
> Regards
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Benoît Coste <ben.coste@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss
>> > few changes for mobile-org.el.
>>
>> I read your mail from a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of
>> this library to be useful to the discussion.
>>
>> > I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file
>> > mobile-org.el
>> > says carsten@orgmode.org but I tried it and it is not working. Does
>> > anyone
>> > know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?
>>
>> It is part of Org core, so anyone with write access to repository can
>> maintain it. The current maintainer is Bastien Guerry, who reads this
>> list. IOW, you can discuss the changes here.

There is already one-way information transfer from MobileOrg to Emacs,
via the file mobileorg.org. This is processed by `org-mobile-pull'.
Could it be adapted to include a new instruction type for telling
Emacs about any new files to include? Function `org-mobile-apply'
looks like the one to modify (and rename meaningfully, and
functionally decompose...)

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63