* hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-28 13:03 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2012-11-28 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Self-explanatory. I like how org-mode handles footnotes, but I want an
option to hide them while reading (for they are distracting).

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-28 14:17 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-11-28 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:03 AM, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Self-explanatory. I like how org-mode handles footnotes, but I want an
> option to hide them while reading (for they are distracting).

Reading what? The org file or resultant PDF? If you're talking about the
org file, I don't think there's going to be a way, but I could be wrong. If
you can give more specifics, that would be helpful -- is it the [fn:1] you
find distracting?

John

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-28 15:19   ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2012-11-28 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Reading an org-file. I should note, it is the highlighting that is the
problem, not the footnote itself. If I could somehow toggle it to the color
of the text, that would solve my problem.

For example, the [16] here is a distraction:

* Chomsky
** Books
*** Deterring Democracy
**** Chapter 1. Cold War: Fact and Fancy
****** (1) The Cold War as Ideological Construct
****** Overview
****** The Orthodox Version
******* No Justification Provided
******** Worship Of The State As Secular Religion

Though the sophistication of traditional theology is lacking, the
similarity of themes and style is striking. It reveals the extent to
which worship of the state has become a secular religion for which the
intellectuals serve as priesthood. The more primitive sectors of
Western culture go further, fostering forms of idolatry in which such
sacred symbols as the flag become an object of forced veneration, and
the state is called upon to punish any insult to them and to compel
children to pledge their devotion daily, while God and State are
almost indissolubly linked in public ceremony and discourse, as in
James Reston's musings on our devotion to the will of the Creator. It
is perhaps not surprising that such crude fanaticism rises to such an
extreme in the United States, as an antidote for the unique freedom
from state coercion that has been achieved by popular struggle. [16]

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:03 AM, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Self-explanatory. I like how org-mode handles footnotes, but I want an
>> option to hide them while reading (for they are distracting).
>

> Reading what? The org file or resultant PDF? If you're talking about the
> org file, I don't think there's going to be a way, but I could be wrong. If
> you can give more specifics, that would be helpful -- is it the [fn:1] you
> find distracting?
>

> John

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-28 17:26     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Reading an org-file. I should note, it is the highlighting that is the
> problem, not the footnote itself. If I could somehow toggle it to the
> color of the text, that would solve my problem.

Put your cursor on the footnote.  Then do

    C-u C-x =

In the resulting buffer, toward the end, you will see something like
this.

    ,----
    | There are text properties here:
    |   face                 org-footnote
    |   font-lock-fontified  t
    |   font-lock-multiline  t
    |   fontified            t
    |   help-echo            "Footnote reference"
    |   keymap               [Show]
    |   mouse-face           highlight
    |   org-category         "test-new"
    |   org-no-flyspell      t
    `----

Click on the face property (which is `org-footnote').  Click on
"customize this face" link.  Change the face foreground color to
whatever you want.

Or

A fast way to do that would be
    M-x customize-face RET org-footnote RET

You can also try
    M-x customize-group RET org-faces RET

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-28 20:06       ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-11-28 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

<SNIP>

Hiding footnotes would be a great enhancement as far as I am concerned.
I mean "hiding" in the same way that entities can be hidden in Auctec.

Auctec allows a "fold mode" that replaces various entities with user
defined symbols. For example, \label{xxx} becomes [l]; \footnote{xxxx}
becomes [f]. The folded symbols are in a different face (customisable).

Entities to be hidden can be user defined, so that new latex macros may
be hidden.

Folded objects expand when the cursor is put over them.

The fold mode dramatically increases readability of the raw manuscript,
particularly when there are long footnotes.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

Documentary letters of credit are used primarily to facilitate
international trade.[fn:2: Kerr J famously called the documentary
letter of credit the "crankshaft of modern trade" and "the lifeblood
of international commerce": RD Harbottle (Mercantile) Ltd v National
Westminster Bank Ltd 1978 QB 146 at 155.] The credit will ordinarily
be issued at the instigation of the purchaser of goods and the
beneficiary will be the seller. The credit will call for the
presentation of shipping documents, insurance policies and commercial
invoices along with other more specific documents.

#+END_EXAMPLE

becomes

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

Documentary letters of credit are used primarily to facilitate
international trade.[f] The credit will ordinarily
be issued at the instigation of the purchaser of goods and the
beneficiary will be the seller. The credit will call for the
presentation of shipping documents, insurance policies and commercial
invoices along with other more specific documents.

#+END_EXAMPLE

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206		sip:172385@iptel.org

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-29  3:24       ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2012-11-29  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Very nice.

However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value (without
recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight the
footnotes from time to time.

After some tests, it is clear I also disliked the underlining.

@ 2012-11-29  3:35         ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2012-11-29  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I should add that Tyree's idea is what I was looking for originally
(changing the face to the text font at least fixed readability).

Ideally, instead of jumping to the footnote section, it would be
collapsible / expandable, much like headings.

Right now having a dedicated footnote section is better than having the
footnote embedded in the body of the text as a giant distracting
parenthesis. That is the worst functionality among the options here.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM, 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very nice.
>
> However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value (without
> recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight the
> footnotes from time to time.
>
> After some tests, it is clear I also disliked the underlining.
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> > Reading an org-file. I should note, it is the highlighting that is the
>> > problem, not the footnote itself. If I could somehow toggle it to the
>> > color of the text, that would solve my problem.
>>
>> Put your cursor on the footnote.  Then do
>>
>>     C-u C-x =
>>
>> In the resulting buffer, toward the end, you will see something like
>> this.
>>
>>     ,----
>>     | There are text properties here:
>>     |   face                 org-footnote
>>     |   font-lock-fontified  t
>>     |   font-lock-multiline  t
>>     |   fontified            t
>>     |   help-echo            "Footnote reference"
>>     |   keymap               [Show]
>>     |   mouse-face           highlight
>>     |   org-category         "test-new"
>>     |   org-no-flyspell      t
>>     `----
>>
>> Click on the face property (which is `org-footnote').  Click on
>> "customize this face" link.  Change the face foreground color to
>> whatever you want.
>>
>> Or
>>
>> A fast way to do that would be
>>     M-x customize-face RET org-footnote RET
>>
>> You can also try
>>     M-x customize-group RET org-faces RET
>> --

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-29  4:11           ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-11-29  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 29/11/12 14:35, 42 147 wrote:
> I should add that Tyree's idea is what I was looking for originally
> (changing the face to the text font at least fixed readability).
>
> Ideally, instead of jumping to the footnote section, it would be
> collapsible / expandable, much like headings.
>
> Right now having a dedicated footnote section is better than having the
> footnote embedded in the body of the text as a giant distracting
> parenthesis. That is the worst functionality among the options here.

I admit that I didn't know about the org-footnote-section variable. That
helps a lot since many of my footnotes are long (awful legal tradition!).

But I still like the in-line footnote with the ability to hide a la
Auctex. I've got no idea how hard it would be to implement, and I
certainly don't have the skills.

I'm not complaining: org is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Thanks to everyone involved.

Cheers,
Alan

<SNIP>

@ 2012-11-29  5:00         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-11-29  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very nice.
>
> However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value (without
> recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight the
> footnotes from time to time.

Anything that can be done interactively can also be done
programatically. You know what face you are dealing with, you can get
its foreground color with face-foreground, and you can set it with
set-face-attribute. A crude implementation to show the basic outline:

(setq org-footnote-fg-color (face-foreground 'org-footnote))

(setq org-text-fg-color (face-foreground 'default))

(defun my-toggle-footnote-fg-color ()
  "Toggle the org-footnote face foreground color."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fg (face-foreground 'org-footnote)))
    (if (string-equal fg org-footnote-fg-color)
	(set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground org-text-fg-color)
      (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground org-footnote-fg-color))))

The difficulties start (but do not end) with footnotes in all sorts of
weird places (e.g. headlines) with all sorts of different
fontifications. You'd want to blend the footnote with its immediate
surroundings.

Taking care of such situations (and various others that the above code
mishandles) is left as an exercise...

Nick

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-29  6:20           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-29  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: 42 147, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Very nice.
>>
>> However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value (without
>> recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight the
>> footnotes from time to time.
>>

> Anything that can be done interactively can also be done
> programatically. You know what face you are dealing with, you can get
> its foreground color with face-foreground, and you can set it with
> set-face-attribute. A crude implementation to show the basic outline:
>

> (setq org-footnote-fg-color (face-foreground 'org-footnote))
>
> (setq org-text-fg-color (face-foreground 'default))
>
> (defun my-toggle-footnote-fg-color ()
>   "Toggle the org-footnote face foreground color."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((fg (face-foreground 'org-footnote)))
>     (if (string-equal fg org-footnote-fg-color)
> 	(set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground org-text-fg-color)
>       (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground org-footnote-fg-color))))
>

> The difficulties start (but do not end) with footnotes in all sorts of
> weird places (e.g. headlines) with all sorts of different
> fontifications. You'd want to blend the footnote with its immediate
> surroundings.
>
> Taking care of such situations (and various others that the above code
> mishandles) is left as an exercise...

Install the following defun, put the cursor on fontified text and do M-x
toggle-face.

    (defun toggle-face (&optional face-from)
      (interactive (list (read-face-name "Face" (face-at-point))))
      (let ((f (assq face-from face-remapping-alist))
            (face-to 'default))
        (if f (setq face-remapping-alist (delq f face-remapping-alist))
          (push (cons face-from face-to) face-remapping-alist))))

See also (info "(elisp) Face Remapping")

> Nick

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-29  6:24             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Install the following defun, put the cursor on fontified text and do M-x
> toggle-face.
>
>     (defun toggle-face (&optional face-from)
>       (interactive (list (read-face-name "Face" (face-at-point))))
>       (let ((f (assq face-from face-remapping-alist))
>             (face-to 'default))
>         (if f (setq face-remapping-alist (delq f face-remapping-alist))
>           (push (cons face-from face-to) face-remapping-alist))))
>
> See also (info "(elisp) Face Remapping")

For the benefit of novice readers, you need to try M-x toggle-face RET
and M-x toggle-face RET twice in succession.

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2012-11-29  7:40             ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2012-11-29  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

I added this to my .emacs:

(defun t-face ()
"to pass org-footnote automatically to toggle-face"
  (interactive)
(toggle-face 'org-footnote))

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Very nice.
> >>
> >> However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value
> (without
> >> recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight
> the
> >> footnotes from time to time.
> >>

> > Anything that can be done interactively can also be done
> > programatically. You know what face you are dealing with, you can get
> > its foreground color with face-foreground, and you can set it with
> > set-face-attribute. A crude implementation to show the basic outline:
> >

> > (setq org-footnote-fg-color (face-foreground 'org-footnote))
> >
> > (setq org-text-fg-color (face-foreground 'default))
> >
> > (defun my-toggle-footnote-fg-color ()
> >   "Toggle the org-footnote face foreground color."
> >   (interactive)
> >   (let ((fg (face-foreground 'org-footnote)))
> >     (if (string-equal fg org-footnote-fg-color)
> >       (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground
> org-text-fg-color)
> >       (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground
> org-footnote-fg-color))))
> >

> > The difficulties start (but do not end) with footnotes in all sorts of
> > weird places (e.g. headlines) with all sorts of different
> > fontifications. You'd want to blend the footnote with its immediate
> > surroundings.
> >
> > Taking care of such situations (and various others that the above code
> > mishandles) is left as an exercise...
>
> Install the following defun, put the cursor on fontified text and do M-x
> toggle-face.
>
>     (defun toggle-face (&optional face-from)
>       (interactive (list (read-face-name "Face" (face-at-point))))
>       (let ((f (assq face-from face-remapping-alist))
>             (face-to 'default))
>         (if f (setq face-remapping-alist (delq f face-remapping-alist))
>           (push (cons face-from face-to) face-remapping-alist))))
>
> See also (info "(elisp) Face Remapping")
>

> > Nick

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2013-02-26 18:18           ` 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-02-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Set it to 20, thanks.

Hopefully I never need to hit the 26 limit.

2012/11/29 Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>

> 42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Very nice.
> >
> > However, I'd like to write a function that toggles the color value
> (without
> > recourse to the customize menu), since it would be useful to highlight
> the
> > footnotes from time to time.
> >

> Anything that can be done interactively can also be done
> programatically. You know what face you are dealing with, you can get
> its foreground color with face-foreground, and you can set it with
> set-face-attribute. A crude implementation to show the basic outline:

> (setq org-footnote-fg-color (face-foreground 'org-footnote))
>
> (setq org-text-fg-color (face-foreground 'default))
>
> (defun my-toggle-footnote-fg-color ()
>   "Toggle the org-footnote face foreground color."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((fg (face-foreground 'org-footnote)))
>     (if (string-equal fg org-footnote-fg-color)
>         (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground
> org-text-fg-color)
>       (set-face-attribute 'org-footnote nil :foreground
> org-footnote-fg-color))))
>
> The difficulties start (but do not end) with footnotes in all sorts of
> weird places (e.g. headlines) with all sorts of different
> fontifications. You'd want to blend the footnote with its immediate
> surroundings.
>
> Taking care of such situations (and various others that the above code
> mishandles) is left as an exercise...
>
> Nick

* Re: hiding footnotes
@ 2013-02-26 18:19             ` 42 147