emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Can't use char ">" in TODO state
@ 2011-10-18 10:32 Sebastien Vauban
  2011-10-18 11:25 ` Michael Brand
  2011-10-21 15:07 ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

#+SEQ_TODO: NEW> TEST DONE CANX

Hello,

Instead of using the TODO state "NEW", I tried using "NEW>" so that it
occupies 4 letters, as all my other states (better display in the agenda).

Though...

* TEST Do this

Simply use S-right arrow to cycle through the different states, and you'll see
"NEW>" added many times:

- DONE Do this
- CANX Do this
- Do this
- NEW> Do this

  which "prooves" that "NEW>" is well somehow considered as a TODO state,
  being added automagically, but the next cycle steps don't succeed...

- NEW> NEW> Do this
- NEW> NEW> NEW> Do this
- ...

I find this behavior not entirely satisfying, even if I can fully accept that
">" is a forbidden character in the TODO states. For example, we could think
of a warning being generated, or of the state being fully ignored, or ...

BTW, do you have an alternative for this "NEW" state, in 4 positions? ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

-- 
Sebastien Vauban

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-18 10:32 Can't use char ">" in TODO state Sebastien Vauban
@ 2011-10-18 11:25 ` Michael Brand
  2011-10-21 15:11   ` Bastien
  2011-10-21 15:07 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-10-18 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi Sebastien

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:32, Sebastien Vauban
> Instead of using the TODO state "NEW", I tried using "NEW>" so that it
> occupies 4 letters, as all my other states (better display in the agenda).
>
> Though...
>
> * TEST Do this
>
> Simply use S-right arrow to cycle through the different states, and you'll see
> "NEW>" added many times:
>
> - DONE Do this
> - CANX Do this
> - Do this
> - NEW> Do this
>
>  which "prooves" that "NEW>" is well somehow considered as a TODO state,
>  being added automagically, but the next cycle steps don't succeed...
>
> - NEW> NEW> Do this
> - NEW> NEW> NEW> Do this
> - ...
>
> I find this behavior not entirely satisfying, even if I can fully accept that
> ">" is a forbidden character in the TODO states. For example, we could think
> of a warning being generated, or of the state being fully ignored, or ...

It works with this patch
http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/964
from Nicolas which I am still using to test it.

> BTW, do you have an alternative for this "NEW" state, in 4 positions? ;-)

What about NEVV ?  (ok, it was a joke)

Michael

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-18 10:32 Can't use char ">" in TODO state Sebastien Vauban
  2011-10-18 11:25 ` Michael Brand
@ 2011-10-21 15:07 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-10-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> I find this behavior not entirely satisfying, even if I can fully accept that
> ">" is a forbidden character in the TODO states. For example, we could think
> of a warning being generated, or of the state being fully ignored, or ...

I agree there is inconsistency here.  Special chars are allowed in TODO
keywords but they create the confusion you describe when used at the beg
or the end of the keyword ("NE>W" is safe AFAICT.)

> BTW, do you have an alternative for this "NEW" state, in 4 positions?
> ;-)

NIOU?

:)

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-18 11:25 ` Michael Brand
@ 2011-10-21 15:11   ` Bastien
  2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-10-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi,

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> It works with this patch
> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/964
> from Nicolas which I am still using to test it.

Has anyone else been using this patch without problems?

If so, then Nicolas please apply it.  It really simplifies
the way headlines are matched in many places in the code.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-21 15:11   ` Bastien
@ 2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
                         ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-10-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It works with this patch
>> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/964
>> from Nicolas which I am still using to test it.

> If so, then Nicolas please apply it.  It really simplifies
> the way headlines are matched in many places in the code.

I've applied it.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
  2011-10-23 16:19         ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2011-10-23 18:07       ` Bastien
  2011-10-24  9:22       ` Sebastien Vauban
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Bastien, Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 394 bytes --]


Note the regression in TOC with this commit. The HTML file was produced
by C-C C-e b (by org-html.el) with emacs -Q.

,----
| commit dfcb6faef11a2439b56b18a6289803361d402130
| Author: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
| Date:   Thu Aug 25 01:58:29 2011 +0200
| 
|     Provide more consistent regexps for headlines
|     
`----

This is also creating a regression in the ODT exporter.

-- 

[-- Attachment #2: test.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 4238 bytes --]

[-- Warning: decoded text below may be mangled, UTF-8 assumed --]
[-- Attachment #3: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 576 bytes --]

#+TITLE: Testfile for OpenDocumentText Exporter
#+AUTHOR:    Jambunathan K
#+EMAIL:     kjambunathan@gmail.com
#+DESCRIPTION:
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+OPTIONS:   H:4 num:t toc:t \n:nil @:t ::t |:t ^:t -:t f:t *:t <:t
#+OPTIONS:   TeX:t LaTeX:t skip:nil d:nil todo:t pri:nil tags:not-in-toc

#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:
#+XSLT:
#+STARTUP: overview


# Use C-c C-e O or C-c C-e o to export this buffer to OpenDocumentText

* Sample Content (Proof Of Concept)
** Character Styles
*** Bold

    *This is bold text*




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-10-23 16:19         ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-10-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

> Note the regression in TOC with this commit. The HTML file was produced
> by C-C C-e b (by org-html.el) with emacs -Q.

I think this should be fixed now.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-10-23 18:07       ` Bastien
  2011-10-24  9:22       ` Sebastien Vauban
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-10-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, Michael Brand, emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>> If so, then Nicolas please apply it.  It really simplifies
>> the way headlines are matched in many places in the code.
>
> I've applied it.

Thanks a lot.

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
  2011-10-23 18:07       ` Bastien
@ 2011-10-24  9:22       ` Sebastien Vauban
  2011-10-26 16:51         ` Sebastien Vauban
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> It works with this patch
>>> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/964
>>> from Nicolas which I am still using to test it.
>
>> If so, then Nicolas please apply it.  It really simplifies
>> the way headlines are matched in many places in the code.
>
> I've applied it.

This works as expected from my point of view.
Thanks a lot...

Best regards,
  Seb

-- 
Sebastien Vauban

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Can't use char ">" in TODO state
  2011-10-24  9:22       ` Sebastien Vauban
@ 2011-10-26 16:51         ` Sebastien Vauban
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-26 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas and Bastien,

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Bastien <bzg-whniv8GeeGkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>>
>>>> It works with this patch
>>>> http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/964
>>>> from Nicolas which I am still using to test it.
>>
>>> If so, then Nicolas please apply it.  It really simplifies
>>> the way headlines are matched in many places in the code.
>>
>> I've applied it.
>
> This works as expected from my point of view. Thanks a lot...

... with this exception (when using TODO states from Dan Davison):

#+OPTIONS:   ^:nil
#+SEQ_TODO: DOESN'T_WORK DOESN'T-WORK | WORKS

* WORKS Marche

In HTML, class is "WORKS" and word in the heading is "WORKS" as well.

* DOESN'T_WORK Marche pas

The HTML class is "DOESN'T_WORK" (the real name of the state) and
"DOESN_T_WORK" in the heading.

In LaTeX, the status "DOESN'T_WORK" is kept as-is in the heading, hence
provoking a layout bug in the PDF.

This is true, whatever the value of the option ^ for interpreting sub- and
super-scripts: setting it to =t= or to =nil= makes no difference.

* DOESN'T-WORK Marche pas

In this last case, the real name "DOESN'T-WORK" is conserved as HTML class,
but translated to "DOESN_T_WORK" in the heading.

No problem in LaTeX.

Best regards,
  Seb

-- 
Sebastien Vauban

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-10-26 16:51 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 10+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-10-18 10:32 Can't use char ">" in TODO state Sebastien Vauban
2011-10-18 11:25 ` Michael Brand
2011-10-21 15:11   ` Bastien
2011-10-23  7:38     ` Nicolas Goaziou
2011-10-23 15:07       ` Jambunathan K
2011-10-23 16:19         ` Nicolas Goaziou
2011-10-23 18:07       ` Bastien
2011-10-24  9:22       ` Sebastien Vauban
2011-10-26 16:51         ` Sebastien Vauban
2011-10-21 15:07 ` Bastien

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).