From: aditya siram <aditya.siram@gmail.com>
To: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
Cc: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>, cpchan@bell.net, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: GNU Hyperbole 6.0.1 for Emacs 24.4 - 25 is released
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:25:12 -0500	[thread overview]

I never used Hyperbole back in the day so this is all fresh for me. I am
also an avid org-mode user. The following feedback is based on about 48
hours of usage.

Hyperbole is a suite of tools. One of them is an outliner that overlaps
quite a bit with org-mode. It has some interesting features like being able
to link individual paragraphs as opposed to just headings/sub-headings but
in most cases org-mode is further along.

But there are other tools in Hyperbole that might interest you including
Acme-like string execution. For example if you do M-RET on the word README
it automatically jumps to README without having to go through the
rigamarole or creating a link in org-mode.

One of the nicest things about Hyperbole is that it's available everywhere.
Org-mode is a mode and its features are only available in *.org files. For
instance if you dropped into `eshell` or `ansi-term` and did `ls`, you can
move point to any of the directory's contents, do M-RET (or Shift-Button2)
and jump to that file. And that's just one example. Note that this means
that all Hyperbole functionality is available in *.org files as well. To
me, except for the Hyperbole outliner, that makes complementary not
conflicting. It's Hyperbole *and* org-mode, not Hyperbole vs. org-mode.

Additionally, off the bat, I found it very well documented and for me
that's a proxy for the quality of a package and the maintainer, Robert
Weiner is quite responsive and really seems to want Hyperbole to take off.
There's plenty more functionality that I haven't uncovered yet but due to
ease of installation and quality of documentation digging into it is
actually fun; much more discoverable than org-mode which has become this
giant bag of random directives.

Hyperbole, even though it is old, feels like it is in its second infancy
meaning it is open to change based on community feedback. As a practical
note, once you install it doing C-h h d d will fire up a nice Demo which I
is think is more fun than watching a screencast.

-deech