From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 15:40:35 -0700	[thread overview]

On 9/7/20, Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> 08.09.2020 12:05, Samuel Wales wrote:
>> well for a non-emacs application, i want to select text and capture
>> using wm menu.
>
> Do you mean a tiny tool that takes content of X primary selection or
> clipboard and passes it to emacs-client org-protocol argument?

maybe.  guessing probably.  i want it to take contents of x primary
selection or clipboard and get it into emacs using a capture template
item.  whether this requries oprg-protocl, idk.

so basically fluxbox menu calls some trivial command which invokes
capoture on my already-existing capture template such as the one that
i already use for hte firefox org-capture extension to use.

> Implementation should have a few lines of code and should allow you to
> bind it to window manager menu or hotkeys. On the other hand I do not
> see great difference from pasting text directly to emacs. Customization
> glue (primary selection/clipboard, name of template, etc.) is thicker
> than code that do the actual job.
>
> The harder part is extracting of formatted text (that could be
> application specific) and converting it to org markup. I had a look
> into emacs sources and did not find extension points to obtain
> application-specific format, so external tool could provide some benefit
> (e.g. capturing link with description from libreoffice).

while such features would be great, my needs are modest i think.  i
would be delighted with just plain text.

but if possible i'd want it to be inserted as utf-8 even if the
terminal or deluge or whatever uses some different encoding.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html