* Is there a size limit to org files?
@ 2023-09-08 16:26 Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2023-09-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that an org file I was using for my capture templates was getting
quite large
and that my capture templates that were pasting TODO entries in that file
were starting to exhibit
strange behavior. Mostly just getting stuck at a mysterious "clipboard
pasted to level 2 subtree"
message, then it would just hang there until I hit ctrl g.

Since this file was getting quite big and unwieldy, > 5000 lines, I decided
to split it up, so that
the various entries under their headers would be split up into different
files. I basically just
put each header into its own separate file, and updated my
org-capture-templates accordingly.

Since then, no strange behavior, no stalling and hanging for no apparent
reason.

So, I was wondering if there is hardcoded somewhere in org some kind of
size limit to the
files it has to deal with, or is this some limitation arising naturally
from the size of
the clipboard? I'm not sure how org handles large files when considering
how to paste
entries from capture templates.