* Buggy output in bash session
@ 2019-02-27 21:47 Steven Tilley
From: Steven Tilley @ 2019-02-27 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I posted this on stackoverflow [1], and they suggested I post it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've noticed in org-babel when using a bash session with multiline statements (e.g. a for loop), the output contains extra characters (specifically ">"s and the prompt. The output can also change throughout the session. An example is below. I found this link, which is probably related, but I'm not sure. I'm relatively new to emacs/org, so digging into the internals is a little beyond me at this point. Thanks!

No session -> correct output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 1
: 2
: 3

Session -> Incorrect output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: > > > 1
: 2
: 3

Running the same command in the same session, and the output changes

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: > > 1
: 2
: 3

New session, but loop is all one one line -> incorrect output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session2 :results output
for i in 1 2 3; do echo $i; done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: