* Buggy output in bash session
@ 2019-02-27 21:47 Steven Tilley
From: Steven Tilley @ 2019-02-27 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I posted this on stackoverflow [1], and they suggested I post it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've noticed in org-babel when using a bash session with multiline statements (e.g. a for loop), the output contains extra characters (specifically ">"s and the prompt. The output can also change throughout the session. An example is below. I found this link, which is probably related, but I'm not sure. I'm relatively new to emacs/org, so digging into the internals is a little beyond me at this point. Thanks!

No session -> correct output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 1
: 2
: 3

Session -> Incorrect output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: > > > 1
: 2
: 3

Running the same command in the same session, and the output changes

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session :results output
for i in 1 2 3
do
   echo $i
done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: > > 1
: 2
: 3

New session, but loop is all one one line -> incorrect output

#+BEGIN_SRC bash :session test_session2 :results output
for i in 1 2 3; do echo $i; done
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: 1
: 2
: 3

Thanks
Steve

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54909018/org-babel-bash-output-with-sessions

* Re: Buggy output in bash session
@ 2019-03-05 15:00 ` Steven Tilley
From: Steven Tilley @ 2019-03-05 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for the great tool, and thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this.

This is sort of a followup on my previous email, but I was wondering if anybody uses org-babel with bash in session mode? I've found it to be pretty buggy for all but simple tasks, and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. My googling hasn't lead to many hits, so I suspect that might be the case. The previous email (below) is just one example, but generally I've had problems when using multiline commands (e.g. loops, declaring functions, etc).

Thanks
Steve

@ 2019-03-05 18:34   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-03-05 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)