* Strange problem loading org features in Emacs 27.1
@ 2020-08-16  3:31 Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2020-08-16  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have org-20200803 package installed in my elpa folder.

Here’s the message emacs gives me after loading my org-init.el file initializing org mode in
emacs 27.1:

Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-bbdb’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-gnus’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-irc’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-w3m’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-bibtex’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-docview’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-info’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-mhe’
Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-rmail’

The offending line of code in the org-init.el file is:

;;;Customize org modules
(setq org-modules '(org-bbdb
                      org-gnus
                      org-habit
                      org-irc
                      org-mouse
                      org-crypt
                      org-protocol
                      org-w3m
                      org-bibtex
                      org-docview
                      org-info
                      org-mhe
                      org-rmail))

(eval-after-load 'org
 '(org-load-modules-maybe t))

As you see, some of them load no problem, but most of them do not.
I checked the org folder, and it seems the .el files that fail to load all start with ‘ol’.

ol-bbdb.el
ol-gnus.el
ol-irc.el
ol-w3m.el
ol-bibtex.el
ol-docview.el
ol-info.el
ol-mhe.el
ol-rmail.el

I don’t know enough about how org mode is organized to know what is going on here, but I just
noticed this happening after upgrading to emacs-27.

What do I do about this problem? Emacs isn’t giving me enough information to give me an idea
of what is going on here.

* Re: Strange problem loading org features in Emacs 27.1
@ 2020-08-16  6:00 ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-08-16  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Carlo,

> Am 16.08.2020 um 05:31 schrieb Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com>:
>
> I have org-20200803 package installed in my elpa folder.
>
> Here’s the message emacs gives me after loading my org-init.el file initializing org mode in
> emacs 27.1:
>
> Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-bbdb’
> Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-rmail’
>
> The offending line of code in the org-init.el file is:
>
> ;;;Customize org modules
> (setq org-modules '(org-bbdb
>                      org-gnus
>                      org-habit
>                      org-irc
>                      org-mouse
>                      org-crypt
>                      org-protocol
>                      org-w3m
>                      org-bibtex
>                      org-docview
>                      org-info
>                      org-mhe
>                      org-rmail))
>
> (eval-after-load 'org
> '(org-load-modules-maybe t))
>
> I don’t know enough about how org mode is organized to know what is going on here, but I just
> noticed this happening after upgrading to emacs-27.
>
> What do I do about this problem? Emacs isn’t giving me enough information to give me an idea
> of what is going on here.

These files have been renamed in March 2019.

With Emacs 26 the file from a previous org version supplied with Emacs have been used.
Emacs 27.1 has a more recent version of org-mode.

The easiest way to fix this is to rename the files in your org-init.el file.

Of course you can use the customize interface as well.

Greetings
Axel

* Re: Strange problem loading org features in Emacs 27.1
@ 2020-08-16 11:26   ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2020-08-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Aug 16, 2020, at 2:00 AM, Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Carlo,
>
>> Am 16.08.2020 um 05:31 schrieb Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I have org-20200803 package installed in my elpa folder.
>>
>> Here’s the message emacs gives me after loading my org-init.el file initializing org mode in
>> emacs 27.1:
>>
>> Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-bbdb’
>> Problems while trying to load feature ‘org-rmail’
>>
>> The offending line of code in the org-init.el file is:
>>
>> ;;;Customize org modules
>> (setq org-modules '(org-bbdb
>>                     org-gnus
>>                     org-habit
>>                     org-irc
>>                     org-mouse
>>                     org-crypt
>>                     org-protocol
>>                     org-w3m
>>                     org-bibtex
>>                     org-docview
>>                     org-info
>>                     org-mhe
>>                     org-rmail))
>>
>> (eval-after-load 'org
>> '(org-load-modules-maybe t))
>>
>> I don’t know enough about how org mode is organized to know what is going on here, but I just
>> noticed this happening after upgrading to emacs-27.
>>
>> What do I do about this problem? Emacs isn’t giving me enough information to give me an idea
>> of what is going on here.
>
> These files have been renamed in March 2019.
>
> With Emacs 26 the file from a previous org version supplied with Emacs have been used.
> Emacs 27.1 has a more recent version of org-mode.
>
> The easiest way to fix this is to rename the files in your org-init.el file.
>
> Of course you can use the customize interface as well.
>
> Greetings
> Axel

Thanks.

What was the reason for the name change?

* Re: Strange problem loading org features in Emacs 27.1
@ 2020-08-16 12:19     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-08-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)