* Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-11-27 13:59 Andrew Kirkpatrick
From: Andrew Kirkpatrick @ 2015-11-27 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On the emacs subreddit, someone recently asked if there was a command
to jump between babel source blocks while editing them. I couldn't
find such a command but liked the idea so I implemented it. My
implementation can be invoked from org-mode or org-src-mode. If a C-u
prefix is supplied, the edit is aborted rather than exited retaining
edits.

If this is deemed useful, I'm happy to make changes suitable for
inclusion in the project.

Cheers

(defun my-babel-src-jump (arg jump-fn)
  (let* ((minor-modes (cl-remove-if-not (lambda (x)
                                          (and (boundp x) (symbol-value x)))
                                        minor-mode-list)))
    (when (member 'org-src-mode minor-modes)
      (if (equal arg '(4))
          (org-edit-src-abort)
        (org-edit-src-exit)))
    (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
      (funcall jump-fn)
      (org-edit-src-code))))

(defun my-babel-edit-next (arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (my-babel-src-jump arg #'org-babel-next-src-block))

(defun my-babel-edit-previous (arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (my-babel-src-jump arg #'org-babel-previous-src-block))

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02  6:50 ` Martin Yrjölä
From: Martin Yrjölä @ 2015-12-02  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick

Hi Andrew!

Andrew Kirkpatrick writes:

> If this is deemed useful, I'm happy to make changes suitable for
> inclusion in the project.

Thanks for sharing! I would certainly want these functions included in
org-mode by default. They streamline at least my literate programming
workflow substantially.

Cheers,
Martin

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02  9:07   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-12-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andrew,

Martin Yrjölä <martin.yrjola@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Andrew!
>
> Andrew Kirkpatrick writes:
>
>> If this is deemed useful, I'm happy to make changes suitable for
>> inclusion in the project.
>
> Thanks for sharing! I would certainly want these functions included in
> org-mode by default. They streamline at least my literate programming
> workflow substantially.

Sorry for joining late.  I too find these useful.

(Also useful would be the possibility to jump to noweb references
directly from the src buffer...)

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02  9:38     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-02  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Martin Yrjölä <martin.yrjola@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hi Andrew!
>>
>> Andrew Kirkpatrick writes:
>>
>>> If this is deemed useful, I'm happy to make changes suitable for
>>> inclusion in the project.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing! I would certainly want these functions included in
>> org-mode by default. They streamline at least my literate programming
>> workflow substantially.
>>

> Sorry for joining late.  I too find these useful.

Absolutely - very useful. Please include!

> (Also useful would be the possibility to jump to noweb references
> directly from the src buffer...)

Very nice idea indeed - or possibly even expand them when executing? But
I think this would be a job for the mode in the source buffer...

At the moment, these noweb references are very nice, but not so nice when
debugging a source block where they are used.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Regards,
> Andreas

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02  9:40       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Martin Yrjölä <martin.yrjola@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Hi Andrew!

>>> Thanks for sharing! I would certainly want these functions included in
>>> org-mode by default. They streamline at least my literate programming
>>> workflow substantially.
>>>

>> Sorry for joining late.  I too find these useful.
>
> Absolutely - very useful. Please include!
>>
>> (Also useful would be the possibility to jump to noweb references
>> directly from the src buffer...)
>
> Very nice idea indeed - or possibly even expand them when executing? But
> I think this would be a job for the mode in the source buffer...

Actually, expand them when opening the Source Buffer (C-c ') and
possibly update them when closing?

> At the moment, these noweb references are very nice, but not so nice when
> debugging a source block where they are used.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> Regards,
>> Andreas

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02  9:49         ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-12-02  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Andrew,

>>> Sorry for joining late.  I too find these useful.
>>
>> Absolutely - very useful. Please include!
>>>
>>> (Also useful would be the possibility to jump to noweb references
>>> directly from the src buffer...)
>>
>> Very nice idea indeed - or possibly even expand them when executing? But
>> I think this would be a job for the mode in the source buffer...
>
> Actually, expand them when opening the Source Buffer (C-c ') and
> possibly update them when closing?

This might conflict with open Source Buffers for the referenced code
block.

>> At the moment, these noweb references are very nice, but not so nice when
>> debugging a source block where they are used.

Exactly.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2015-12-02 10:33           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

>>> Absolutely - very useful. Please include!

>>> Very nice idea indeed - or possibly even expand them when executing? But
>>> I think this would be a job for the mode in the source buffer...
>>
>> Actually, expand them when opening the Source Buffer (C-c ') and
>> possibly update them when closing?
>>

> This might conflict with open Source Buffers for the referenced code
> block.

True - than simply deliminate them with something like

## <<REF>> BEGIN
## <<REF>> END

and *don't* update them at the end?

Probably better: language specific - for R one could write the block to
a temporary file and then insert a =source()= to execute it:

## DO NOT EDIT - AUTO INSERTED - BEGIN
source("<<REF>>.R")
## DO NOT EDIT - AUTO INSERTED - END

Would make debugging much easier, if they would be in the source block
where they are used.

And if no language specific behavior is supplied, use the present
behavior.

>>> At the moment, these noweb references are very nice, but not so nice when
>>> debugging a source block where they are used.
>
> Exactly.

Let's do some brainstorming how this could be solved.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Regards,
> Andreas

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jumping between source blocks in a file
@ 2016-06-25  7:34 ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-06-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Kirkpatrick; +Cc: org mode