* New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 15:44 Konstantin Kliakhandler
From: Konstantin Kliakhandler @ 2015-07-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

I wrote up a small chrome extension for org-protocol. Comments,
improvements and positive criticism are all welcome.

The code is available at https://github.com/sprig/org-capture-extension
The extension can be installed from
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/org-capture/kkkjlfejijcjgjllecmnejhogpbcigdc

Enjoy,
Kosta

--
Konstantin Kliakhandler
    http://slumpy.org

* Re: New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 16:16 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-07-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kliakhandler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Konstantin,

On 2015-07-07 at 11:44, Konstantin Kliakhandler <kosta@slumpy.org> wrote:
> I wrote up a small chrome extension for org-protocol. Comments,
> improvements and positive criticism are all welcome.

Thanks for making this. I just set up org-protocol and pass the "install test" on that page. Now when I click on your icon/extension Emacs comes to the foreground and I see the following error in the modeline:

> No capture template referred to by "L" keys

And in *Messages* I see:

> Greedy org-protocol handler.  Killing client.
> No server editing buffers exist
> No capture template referred to by "L" keys

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

  -k.

* Re: New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 16:24   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-07-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kliakhandler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-07-07 at 12:16, Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> On 2015-07-07 at 11:44, Konstantin Kliakhandler <kosta@slumpy.org> wrote:
>> I wrote up a small chrome extension for org-protocol. Comments,
>> improvements and positive criticism are all welcome.
>
> Thanks for making this. I just set up org-protocol and pass the
> "install test" on that page. Now when I click on your icon/extension
> Emacs comes to the foreground and I see the following error in the
> modeline:
>
>> No capture template referred to by "L" keys
>
> And in *Messages* I see:
>
>> Greedy org-protocol handler.  Killing client.
>> No server editing buffers exist
>> No capture template referred to by "L" keys

If I add a capture template with hotkey "L" I get the same message but for "p". If I add a capture template with the hotkey "p" then it appears to mostly work, but I don't get selected text. I do get a link to the webpage as the capture item body.

  -k.

* Re: New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 16:57     ` Konstantin Kliakhandler
From: Konstantin Kliakhandler @ 2015-07-07 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Ken,

The first user, hurrah!

You were right to add the capture templates - I will update the docs to be
more clear about that. I think the first thing to add to the extension now
that it is in the open is to add configuration for the targets...

Here are the templates that I use (I need to replace the captured on: with
a property at some point, but this is beside the point):

 ("L" "Protocol Link" entry (file+headline ,(concat org-directory "notes.org")
"Inbox") "* %? [[%:link][%:description]] \nCaptured On: %U")

("p" "Protocol" entry (file+headline ,(concat org-directory "notes.org")
"Inbox")
                                 "* %^{Title}\nSource: %u, %c\n
#+BEGIN_QUOTE\n%i\n#+END_QUOTE\n\n\n%?")

I can't recall at the moment why I use the nicer format replacements for
the link and the shorter for the full quote, and it might not matter. Could
you try to make your "p" template similar to mine and see if it works?
Alternatively, can you paste the templates you used?

Cheers,
Kosta

--
Konstantin Kliakhandler
    http://slumpy.org

On 7 July 2015 at 19:24, Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-07-07 at 12:16, Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Konstantin,
> >
> > On 2015-07-07 at 11:44, Konstantin Kliakhandler <kosta@slumpy.org>
> wrote:
> >> I wrote up a small chrome extension for org-protocol. Comments,
> >> improvements and positive criticism are all welcome.
> >
> > Thanks for making this. I just set up org-protocol and pass the
> > "install test" on that page. Now when I click on your icon/extension
> > Emacs comes to the foreground and I see the following error in the
> > modeline:
> >
> >> No capture template referred to by "L" keys
> >
> > And in *Messages* I see:
> >
> >> Greedy org-protocol handler.  Killing client.
> >> No server editing buffers exist
> >> No capture template referred to by "L" keys
>
> If I add a capture template with hotkey "L" I get the same message but for
> "p". If I add a capture template with the hotkey "p" then it appears to
> mostly work, but I don't get selected text. I do get a link to the webpage
> as the capture item body.
>
>   -k.

* Re: New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 17:13       ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-07-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kliakhandler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Selected text works with your capture templates. Thanks for sending them.

FYI I notice the "test" on the org-protocol.el setup pages uses this:

document.location.href='org-protocol://capture://'+makeUrl();

While yours uses:

capture:/L/...

If you don't specify "L" or "c" then would it let me choose which template the capture gets sent to? Seems like it might be an extra keystroke to then choose the template, but also more powerful...

  -k.

On 2015-07-07 at 12:57, Konstantin Kliakhandler <kosta@slumpy.org> wrote:
> Hello Ken,
>
> The first user, hurrah!
>
> You were right to add the capture templates - I will update the docs to be
> more clear about that. I think the first thing to add to the extension now
> that it is in the open is to add configuration for the targets...
>
> Here are the templates that I use (I need to replace the captured on: with
> a property at some point, but this is beside the point):
>
>  ("L" "Protocol Link" entry (file+headline ,(concat org-directory "notes.org")
> "Inbox") "* %? [[%:link][%:description]] \nCaptured On: %U")
>
> ("p" "Protocol" entry (file+headline ,(concat org-directory "notes.org")
> "Inbox")
>                                  "* %^{Title}\nSource: %u, %c\n
> #+BEGIN_QUOTE\n%i\n#+END_QUOTE\n\n\n%?")
>
> I can't recall at the moment why I use the nicer format replacements for
> the link and the shorter for the full quote, and it might not matter. Could
> you try to make your "p" template similar to mine and see if it works?
> Alternatively, can you paste the templates you used?
>
> Cheers,
> Kosta

* Re: New Chrome Extension
@ 2015-07-07 17:31         ` Konstantin Kliakhandler