* sudo uninstall org? Can it be done?
@ 2015-08-05 19:07 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-08-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Seeing that org-mode had a new version I did a git pull, make autoloads,
make doc, make config, sudo make install, and then restarted emacs which
failed to start saying -

╭────
│org-babel-safe-header-args , and I think it said something about the
| function being void. |
╰────

So I commented my git pathway out of my init.org, and restarted emacs,
which started okay. I tried to uninstall my new org with 'sudo make
uninstall' but it couldn't find a target for it. So I tried to install
org with the package manager, which installed okay. I restarted emacs
and got exactly the same error message, word-for-word.

So I'm now running with org-mode -

╭────
│Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5.50/lisp/org/)
╰────

How can I remove this version please?

How can I install the package manager version of org without the
'org-babel-etc' error message please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.50.3

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: sudo uninstall org? Can it be done?
@ 2015-08-05 22:23 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2015-08-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> ╭────
> │org-babel-safe-header-args , and I think it said something about the
> | function being void. |
> ╰────

A similar error is also reported here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3fuq11/org_83_released/

Anyone knows how to reproduce and fix this?

--
 Bastien

* Re: sudo uninstall org? Can it be done?
@ 2015-08-05 22:45   ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2015-08-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had this problem too, but only on one of my machines. In my case it was
triggered by "(require 'ob-R)". Running "byte-compile-file" on ob-R.el
fixed it for me. I don't know what that means, but maybe it will give
someone a clue as to how to track this down.

best,
Ista

@ 2015-08-06  9:59     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-08-06  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:

> I had this problem too, but only on one of my machines. In my case it was triggered by "(require 'ob-R)". Running "byte-compile-file" on ob-R.el fixed it for me. I
> don't know what that means, but maybe it will give someone a clue as to how to track this down.
>
> best,
> Ista

I don't have "(require 'ob-R)" anywhere in my "init.org" so something
else is triggering the error message, which only occurs when I try to
load a new version of org-mode.

However, I have used Ista's solution and am now back up and running with
8.3.1 from org-plus-contribs-20150805. So it seems that there is
something in "ob-R.el" that needs compiling twice to run effectively.
Once when you install/update org-mode, and then a separate run before
you restart emacs and org-mode again.

Sharon.

@ 2015-08-06 16:02 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-06 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble writes:
> So I'm now running with org-mode -
>
> ╭────
> │Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/24.5.50/lisp/org/)
> ╰────
>
> How can I remove this version please?
>
> How can I install the package manager version of org without the
> 'org-babel-etc' error message please?

I can't test it at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this is a result of
Emacs' built-in Org being loaded before package manager gets to install
the newer release of Org.  You need to move any init files aside that
pick up Org before doing the upgrade from package manager running in a
freshly started Emacs.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: sudo uninstall org? Can it be done?
@ 2015-08-06 16:16   ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-08-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-org list