* SCHEDULED property behavior not compatible with habits? Confused: How to make this work? #orgmode
@ 2013-09-28 23:21 Iannis Zannos
From: Iannis Zannos @ 2013-09-28 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

having tried out the "habits" module after studying the manual on TODOs and
scheduling, I cannot make habits work. Reason:

When I set the :SCHEDULED: property of a node with a repetition interval
such as: <2013-09-27 Fri .+1d>, then changing the TODO status from TODO to
DONE will

   1. change the status back to TODO (so that the item stays scheduled for
   a next time)
   2. change the date of SCHEDULED to one day after the date of completion
   of the task

This is consistent with the description in the manual at 8.3.2 Repeated
tasks, and makes sense. However, it interferes with habits, because it
changes the date from which the tracking of the habit repetition of the
task is being tracked. This means that this node disappears from the habit
display in the agenda. Also, it undoes the configured logging mechanism
(for example, note+timestamp for DONE state.

Am I overseeing something? Surely it must be my mistake. I saw habits at
work in the chat of Sacha Chua with Bastien Guerry (
http://sachachua.com/blog/2013/07/emacs-chat-sacha-chua-with-bastien-guerry/)
and was quite impressed. But I could not repeat the same results as I saw
on Sacha's screen.

Cheers,

Iannis Zannos

* Re: SCHEDULED property behavior not compatible with habits? Confused: How to make this work? #orgmode
@ 2013-09-28 23:29 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-09-28 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-09-29, o godz. 02:21:55
Iannis Zannos <zannos@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Hello,
>
> having tried out the "habits" module after studying the manual on
> TODOs and scheduling, I cannot make habits work. Reason:
>
> When I set the :SCHEDULED: property of a node with a repetition
> interval such as: <2013-09-27 Fri .+1d>, then changing the TODO
> status from TODO to DONE will
>
>    1. change the status back to TODO (so that the item stays
> scheduled for a next time)
>    2. change the date of SCHEDULED to one day after the date of
> completion of the task
>
> This is consistent with the description in the manual at 8.3.2
> Repeated tasks, and makes sense. However, it interferes with habits,
> because it changes the date from which the tracking of the habit
> repetition of the task is being tracked. This means that this node
> disappears from the habit display in the agenda. Also, it undoes the
> configured logging mechanism (for example, note+timestamp for DONE
> state.
>
> Am I overseeing something? Surely it must be my mistake. I saw habits
> at work in the chat of Sacha Chua with Bastien Guerry (
> http://sachachua.com/blog/2013/07/emacs-chat-sacha-chua-with-bastien-guerry/)
> and was quite impressed. But I could not repeat the same results as I
> saw on Sacha's screen.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Iannis Zannos

Tip 1: try setting org-habit-show-habits-only-for-today to nil (or
waiting until tomorrow;)).

Tip 2: it seems you mustn't track changes /into/ a TODO state, only
into DONE.  See note at the bottom here:
http://mbork.pl/2013-09-23_Automatic_insertion_of_habit_templates_%28en%29

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: SCHEDULED property behavior not compatible with habits? Confused: How to make this work? #orgmode
@ 2013-09-29  0:08   ` Iannis Zannos
From: Iannis Zannos @ 2013-09-29  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode