* Org Babel: Submit SQL to command line app & capture results
@ 2020-02-23 19:49 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-02-23 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I would like to use org-babel to have SQL code like this:

* Some heading

#+begin_src something
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM some_table;
#+end_src

I would like to have the code highlighted as SQL.  However, I'm not reading
from a DB matching the requirements of
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-sql.html

What I would like to do when I run the code above is to:
1) simply take the contents of the code and push it into a tmp file
2) run a shell program on the tmp file:
impala-shell -f tmp file.txt
3) Capture the STDOUT from the above command

How would I do this using org-babel?  Create a new "language"?
Are there already similar implementations which basically take the contents
of the source code, save to a temp file then execute a standalone program
and capture results?

Again, I would like to have SQL style highlighting.

Thanks for pointers -- I'm sure this is something that's reasonably easy
to implement - I just don't want to start off on the wrong foo.t
--Nate

* Re: Org Babel: Submit SQL to command line app & capture results
@ 2020-02-24 13:13 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-02-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think you can do something like this. I don't have impala-shell, so
I wasn't able to test this. It worked using another executable though.
This is pretty bare bones, no sessions, etc.

(require 'org)
(require 'ob)

(defun org-babel-execute:impala (body params)
  (let* ((code (org-babel-expand-body:generic body params))
	 (src-dir (make-temp-file "ob-impala-" t))
         (src-file (f-join src-dir (concat (file-name-nondirectory src-dir) ".imp"))))

    (with-temp-file src-file
      (insert code))

    ;; Compile step
    (org-babel-eval
     (format "impala-shell %s" src-file)
     "")))

;;;###autoload
(eval-after-load 'org
  '(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("impala" . impala)))

(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("impala" . sql))

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F