* org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-13  1:54 Tom Burbage
From: Tom Burbage @ 2018-10-13  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I use simple lists, I would like to be able to mix in '!' and '?'
with '-' as these are sometimes more expressive of what the list item
represents.
My request is that the list of characters org-list recognizes as being a
valid "bullet" be customizable by the user.

* Re: org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-13  5:33 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-13  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Burbage; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Tom Burbage <tiburbage@gmail.com> writes:

> My request is that the list of characters org-list recognizes as being
> a valid "bullet" be customizable by the user.

The syntax is not meant to be customizable. It goes against having
a standard Org format.

You can however, put overlays on top of bullets and /display/ them as
you wish. The extension "org-bullets" does something similar.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-13  6:55 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-10-13  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Burbage; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > When I use simple lists, I would like to be able to mix in '!' and
    > '?'  with '-' as these are sometimes more expressive of what the
    > list item represents.  My request is that the list of characters
    > org-list recognizes as being a valid "bullet" be customizable by
    > the user.

Have a look at https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35626/how-to-make-my-own-org-mode-text-emphasis-work-again.

Best wishes,

* Re: org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-25  0:47   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2018-10-25  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m43cap; +Cc: tiburbage, Org-mode

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:56 AM Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:

>     > When I use simple lists, I would like to be able to mix in '!' and
>     > '?'  with '-' as these are sometimes more expressive of what the
>     > list item represents.  My request is that the list of characters
>     > org-list recognizes as being a valid "bullet" be customizable by
>     > the user.
>
> Have a look at https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35626/how-to-make-my-own-org-mode-text-emphasis-work-again.

Which code are you recommending?

* Re: org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-25 15:22     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-10-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: tiburbage, Org-mode

    >> > When I use simple lists, I would like to be able to mix in '!'
    >> and > '?'  with '-' as these are sometimes more expressive of
    >> what the > list item represents.  My request is that the list of
    >> characters > org-list recognizes as being a valid "bullet" be
    >> customizable by > the user.
    >>
    >> Have a look at
    >> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35626/how-to-make-my-own-org-mode-text-emphasis-work-again.

    > Which code are you recommending?

I'm not recommending anything. I'm suggesting that if you want
one or more characters in a list to act as emphasis then perhaps they
could be defined in terms of org-font-lock-extra-keywords, as in 'Answer
2'.

Best wishes,

* Re: org-mode: Would like to add custom chars as org-list bullets
@ 2018-10-29 19:21     ` Tom Burbage
From: Tom Burbage @ 2018-10-29 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke, m43cap; +Cc: Org-mode