* Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-04 10:20 Giuseppe Pagnoni
From: Giuseppe Pagnoni @ 2012-09-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I use org-mode for taking notes and I often need to jot down code
examples.  In the language R, subscription is often done with double
square brackets (for instance, I can extract the 2nd element of a
`list' object x with the code: x[[2]]).  Now, I haven't been able to
write such example code within org-mode, without them turning
automatically into hyperlinks (I am talking about the plain emacs
interface here, which is what I use most, not about exporting into
formats such as latex or HTML).

Is there a way to disable automatic link conversion for text enclosed
into double square brackets on a case-by-case basis (i.e., use double
square brackets as verbatim, non-link, text)?  I have found that I can
still *see* the brackets if I toggle org-toggle-link-display, but that
seems like a poor workaround since the text within the brackets is
still considered a hyperlink.  I have looked quite a bit into the
manual and on the mailing list for an answer, but to no avail...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

best

giuseppe

* Re: Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-04 11:01 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-04 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnoni@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Giuseppe:

> I use org-mode for taking notes and I often need to jot down code
> examples.  In the language R, subscription is often done with double
> square brackets (for instance, I can extract the 2nd element of a
> `list' object x with the code: x[[2]]).  Now, I haven't been able to
> write such example code within org-mode, without them turning
> automatically into hyperlinks (I am talking about the plain emacs
> interface here, which is what I use most, not about exporting into
> formats such as latex or HTML).

Use a src block. For example:

#+BEGIN_SRC R
bla..bla..
#+END_SRC

Please refer to this section:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-With-Source-Code.html#Working-With-Source-Code

in the manual.

Cheers,
Charles

--
"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

* Re: Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-04 11:40 Giuseppe Pagnoni
From: Giuseppe Pagnoni @ 2012-09-04 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpchan, emacs-orgmode

Hello Charles,

thank you for the fast reply. I had actually tried to use the SRC
block, but the bracket-enclosed text is still converted to hyperlink
format in the Emacs GUI, with the consequent vanishing of the
brackets.  My understanding is that by using the SRC blocks, the
brackets are actually preserved (and the text printed verbatim) when
*exporting* to formats such as LaTeX or HTML, but they are *not*
displayed verbatim within the Emacs GUI.   Unless I am missing
something obvious here...

thanks again

giuseppe

--
Giuseppe Pagnoni
Dip. Scienze Biomediche, Metaboliche e Neuroscienze

* Re: Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-04 11:59 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnoni@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Giuseppe:

> thank you for the fast reply. I had actually tried to use the SRC
> block, but the bracket-enclosed text is still converted to hyperlink
> format in the Emacs GUI, with the consequent vanishing of the
> brackets.

Works fine for me- they do not show up as hyperlinks for me within a
block and they export correctly.

Maybe your version of org-mode is too old. I am using the current git
version.

Charles

--
"It's God.  No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)

* Re: Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-04 13:59 Giuseppe Pagnoni
From: Giuseppe Pagnoni @ 2012-09-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpchan, emacs-orgmode

Hello Charles,

I upgraded to the latest Emacs and org-mode versions, but then I found
out that the text does reformat correctly if I position the cursor at
the beginning of the SRC block (that is, on the first `#') and enter a
newline (or, alternatively, if I close and reopen the file).  I have
no idea why you need to do that in order to have org-mode recognize
that it should use a code syntax, but it works.

thanks for all your help!

best

giuseppe

--

@ 2012-09-04 14:16 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-04 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnoni@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Giuseppe:

> I upgraded to the latest Emacs and org-mode versions, but then I found
> out that the text does reformat correctly if I position the cursor at
> the beginning of the SRC block (that is, on the first `#') and enter a
> newline (or, alternatively, if I close and reopen the file).  I have
> no idea why you need to do that in order to have org-mode recognize
> that it should use a code syntax, but it works.

In order to enter code comfortably, I suggest you use C-c' on the
block. This will bring up a major mode buffer for the language you are
using.

Cheers.
Charles

--
"On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."

* Re: Using double square brackets literally (escaping link conversion) in org-mode
@ 2012-09-05 10:09 Giuseppe Pagnoni
From: Giuseppe Pagnoni @ 2012-09-05 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpchan, emacs-orgmode

good tip, thanks!