* Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-10-30 15:04 Matthew Lundin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-10-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am setting up my website with multiple subdirectories, each, of
course, with its own index.org (index.html) file.

A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of the
org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too many
index.org files in my buffer list.

1) Is there any way to have org-publish close buffers after publishing
the files?

2) Alternatively, is there an easy way to rename the buffers to the
title of the page designated with #+TITLE so that they can be told
apart in the buffer list.

----

Finally, on a related question. Does someone know an easy way to have
all the org-files of subdirectories of a website added to the agenda
files recursively?

For my agenda files I currently use:

(setq org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "~/org/*org"))

That, however, only works for a single directory, not recursively.

Thanks!

Matt Lundin

* Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-10-30 15:15 ` Richard Riley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of the
> org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too many
> index.org files in my buffer list.
>
> 1) Is there any way to have org-publish close buffers after publishing
> the files?

I remember asking something similar - but am unsure of the
status. Ideally publish would open a file to publish in a way which does
not actually create a physical buffer and so does not create the
overhead of things like mode processing, font lock etc. But my poor
knowledge of emacs is probably showing there :-;

* R: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-10-30 15:46 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-10-30 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> 1) Is there any way to have org-publish close buffers after
> publishing
> the files?

(setq org-publish-after-export-hook t)     ?

Cheers,
Giovanni

      Unisciti alla community di Io fotografo e video, il nuovo corso di fotografia di Gazzetta dello sport:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/iofotografoevideo

* Re: R: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-10-31  4:34   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-10-31  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovanni.ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> (setq org-publish-after-export-hook t)     ?

Might I ask what functions you use in the hook?

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-11-01  2:29 ` Ethan Blanton
From: Ethan Blanton @ 2008-11-01  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin spake unto us the following wisdom:
> A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of the
> org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too many
> index.org files in my buffer list.
[snip]
> 2) Alternatively, is there an easy way to rename the buffers to the
> title of the page designated with #+TITLE so that they can be told
> apart in the buffer list.

While this isn't exactly what you asked, I find the following useful
in my emacs config:

(require 'uniquify)
(setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward)
(setq uniquify-min-dir-content 0)
(setq uniquify-after-kill-buffer-p t)

With this, if you have:

web/index.org
web/images/index.org
web/articles/index.org

... then when the buffers are all loaded, you will have buffer names
like:

index.org|web
index.org|images
index.org|articles

I find this much more useful than index.org<1>, <2>, etc., and you
might find that it makes those buffers more manageable.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.

* Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-11-01  3:25   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-01  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ethan Blanton <elb@psg.com> writes:

> Matthew Lundin spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of the
>> org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too many
>> index.org files in my buffer list.
[snip]
> While this isn't exactly what you asked, I find the following useful
> in my emacs config:
>
> (require 'uniquify)
> (setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward)
> (setq uniquify-min-dir-content 0)
> (setq uniquify-after-kill-buffer-p t)
>
> With this, if you have:
>
> web/index.org
> web/images/index.org
> web/articles/index.org
>
> ... then when the buffers are all loaded, you will have buffer names
> like:
>
> index.org|web
> index.org|images
> index.org|articles

That's perfect! Thanks.

-Matt

* Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-01 13:15 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matthew,

what org version are you using?

Because I believe that in the current version, those buffers will be
killed, if they have been visited to get published.  Only buffers
which are already present  then starting the publishing will not be
killed.

At least this is how it should work.

- Carsten

On Oct 30, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> I am setting up my website with multiple subdirectories, each, of
> course, with its own index.org (index.html) file.
>
> A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of the
> org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too many
> index.org files in my buffer list.
>
> 1) Is there any way to have org-publish close buffers after publishing
> the files?
>
> 2) Alternatively, is there an easy way to rename the buffers to the
> title of the page designated with #+TITLE so that they can be told
> apart in the buffer list.
>
> ----
>
> Finally, on a related question. Does someone know an easy way to have
> all the org-files of subdirectories of a website added to the agenda
> files recursively?
>
> For my agenda files I currently use:
>
> (setq org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "~/org/*org"))
>
> That, however, only works for a single directory, not recursively.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt Lundin

* Re: Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-11-01 13:17   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 30, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> A problem arises when I invoke org-publish (or org-agenda). All of
>> the
>> org files in the project are loaded into buffers resulting in too
>> many
>> index.org files in my buffer list.
>>
>> 1) Is there any way to have org-publish close buffers after
>> publishing
>> the files?
>
> I remember asking something similar - but am unsure of the
> status. Ideally publish would open a file to publish in a way which
> does
> not actually create a physical buffer and so does not create the
> overhead of things like mode processing, font lock etc. But my poor
> knowledge of emacs is probably showing there :-;

Hi Richard,

these requests which you had were implemented quite some time ago.
For example, all the html buffers are killed, and nxhtml-mode is no
longer turned on in these buffers.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-publish - too many index.org files
@ 2008-11-02 12:50   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-02 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> what org version are you using?
>
> Because I believe that in the current version, those buffers will be
> killed, if they have been visited to get published.  Only buffers
> which are already present  then starting the publishing will not be
> killed.
>
> At least this is how it should work.

I am using Org-mode 6.10c. I just did a test. I started up emacs with
no file buffers loaded. I then ran M-x org-publish RET project-name.
After the project was published, my buffer menu contained all the org
files in the project.

Here is my org-publish-project-alist configuration:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(
	("org-notes"
	 :base-directory "~/mystuff/website/"
	 :base-extension "org"
	 :publishing-directory "[ssh to my site here]"
	 :section-numbers nil
	 :email "[my email address here]"
	 :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
	 :recursive t
	 :auto-index t
	 :style "<link rel=\"stylesheet\" type=\"text/css\" href=\"css/myorg.css\" />"
	 :preamble "<div id=\"menu\">
<ul>
</ul>
	 :index-filename "pagelist.org"
	 :index-title "Page List"
	 :link-validation-function org-publish-validate-link
	 )
	("org-static"
	 :base-directory "~/mystuff/website/"
	 :publishing-directory "[ssh to my site here]"
	 :recursive t
	 :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf"
	 :publishing-function org-publish-attachment
	 )
	("org"
	 :components
	 ("org-notes" "org-static"))
	))

My apologies in advance if I goofed something up in the configuration.

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2008-11-02 14:25     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-02 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matthew,

if you turn off the auto-index, do the buffers then disappear?

Thanks for checking this out.

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-02 15:54       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-11-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Yes, I can confirm that turning off auto index resulted in the buffers
being closed after publishing.

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2008-11-02 16:15         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matthew,

I hope this is fixed now.  Let me know what you find.

Best wishes.

- Carsten