* [Orgmode] WISH: link expansion in Freemind export
@ 2011-06-06 20:42 Filip Buric
From: Filip Buric @ 2011-06-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I thought it would be nice to be able to replace a local link with the
contents of the target file
when exporting to Freemind and I couldn't figure out how to do this with the
existing options
(just started using org-mode). I wanted to be able to make linked notes and
then visualise
them as a mind map. For instance, exporting something like:

* TODO todo-list
* stuff
* more stuff
 [[./file.org][testlink]]

would produce:

where 'DATA' is the actual contents of file.org, instead of <p><a
href=...></a></p>

I already modified my copy of org-freemind.el to try this out.
I just modified org-free-mind-convert-links-from-org to insert the target
contents instead of the html link:

 (defun org-freemind-convert-links-from-org (org-str)
   "Convert org links in ORG-STR to freemind links and return the result."
   (let ((fm-str (replace-regexp-in-string
                  (rx (not (any "[\""))
                      (submatch
                       "http"
                       (opt ?\s)
                       "://"
                       (1+
                        (any "-%.?@a-zA-Z0-9()_/:~=&#"))))
                  "[[\\1][\\1]]"
                  org-str)))
     (with-temp-buffer
       (insert-file-contents(substring fm-str
                             (+ (string-match "\\[\\[" fm-str) 2)
                             (string-match "\\]\\[" fm-str)))
       (buffer-string))))

(It's been a long time since I've written (*)lisp code so this might not be
the best way to do this.)

Ideally this expansion would be recursive (and replace links in target
files). I only handled one level since this is my usual use case (main note
- satellite notes)
and making it recursive would also imply doing more restructuring through
org-freemind.el, which is out of my way right now.
I just dived in to get the functionality through this hack. (This is also
why the above code is not in patch notation.)
A proper solution would probably be to add more options to org-exp.el and
additional code in org-freemind.el.

I suppose other export formats, such as ASCII, or just normal editing, might
use this option as well.

Best regards,
Filip